Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

The end of this coming week looks good though for some snow. Met Office site for my nearest location, Ranmoor, shows light snow on and off from Thursday right through to Saturday so that would be great. Should build up nicely by then. Fingers crossed ;):cold:

easterly.thumb.png.9025353a5c282313b960c8fdbb5adc3c.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

The end of this coming week looks good though for some snow. Met Office site for my nearest location, Ranmoor, shows light snow on and off from Thursday right through to Saturday so that would be great. Should build up nicely by then. Fingers crossed ;):cold:

easterly.thumb.png.9025353a5c282313b960c8fdbb5adc3c.png

I cant help but think these would just be snow flurries Chris, of course there may well be disturbances to enhance precip at time such as UKMO, but I remain skeptical for accumulating snowfall for the time being. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

The temperature is actually slowly dropping at the moment.  2.8c with moderate rain and a gusty wind.  A disgusting night to be out in I reckon!

Here's hoping for some white stuff by the weekend though!  :cold:

Posted

Almost snow here tonight, very heavy sleet! Theres slush on the grass and car windscreens!

Definitely evaporative cooling in effect. Temp dropped from 7c to 3c in a very short space of time. It was heavy though. A nice taster of things to come hopefully! :p:cold:

Posted
1 minute ago, Winter Cold said:

Almost snow here tonight, very heavy sleet! Theres slush on the grass and car windscreens!

Definitely evaporative cooling in effect. Temp dropped from 7c to 3c in a very short space of time. It was heavy though. A nice taster of things to come hopefully! :p:cold:

I thought you would be seeing something wintry over your way given how cold it is here in the lowlands.  

Fingers crossed for Wednesday / Thursday onwards!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Kentish Snowman said:

I thought you would be seeing something wintry over your way given how cold it is here in the lowlands.  

Fingers crossed for Wednesday / Thursday onwards!

Yes, i want us all to see some decent snow from this easterly! Fingers crossed ey. Nice to hear METO and Paul Hudson talk about it potentialy being long lasting :D Always the chance of some snow popping up!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
20 hours ago, Winter Cold said:

Sadly didn't keep it up. Short cold snap coming up sadly won't last into next week now and probably won't get much in the way of snow from it. But at least we can pickle a snow flake if we see one.  Endangered species in the last couple of years. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Sadly didn't keep it up. Short cold snap coming up sadly won't last into next week now and probably won't get much in the way of snow from it. But at least we can pickle a snow flake if we see one.  Endangered species in the last couple of years. 

Saturday is looking quite snowy for our part of the world at the moment.  All subject to change of course but I am certainly not downbeat about this upcoming cold spell.

Here's hoping that everybody gets a bit of the white stuff before we call time on this winter.....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

In terms of shower activity we move to a nowcasting situation from tomorrow (radar), pressure being pretty high would tend to suggest little shower activity but we have seen instances where there was more activity than forecast. Generally i'll be happy with a shower or two in the coming days but i don't expect it. 

Saturday is the best possibility as a more organised feature gets in more or less the right place. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
1 minute ago, summer blizzard said:

In terms of shower activity we move to a nowcasting situation from tomorrow (radar), pressure being pretty high would tend to suggest little shower activity but we have seen instances where there was more activity than forecast. Generally i'll be happy with a shower or two in the coming days but i don't expect it. 

Saturday is the best possibility as a more organised feature gets in more or less the right place. 

Where are you, SB? My OH (other half) is in the Aire Valley...

Posted

Well good luck all and hope after this weekend we are looking forward to the best cold spell to come around next weekend ;)

• Like 2

Posted

afternoon all, very surprising and unforecast heavy sleety shower, left a nice icey mix on the brolly when i done the school pick up, temp dropped rapidly and is now 1.3c dew point 0.1c, here is hoping against hope we might see some snow over the next cpl of days down here.

• Like 1

Posted

A really depressing forecast from Paul Hudson just now if you like your cold and snow!  

I just cannot believe how much this cold spell seems to have imploded over the last 24 hours.  

Can we at least squeeze out a covering of snow before the end of the weekend?

Edit - At least the latest ECM run gives us coldies some hope from around mid month!

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

A really depressing forecast from Paul Hudson just now if you like your cold and snow!  

I just cannot believe how much this cold spell seems to have imploded over the last 24 hours.  

Edit - At least the latest ECM run gives us coldies some hope from around mid month!

It  seemed realistic to me?

It is disappointing that those hoping for a good covering of snow are likely to be let down, but in fairness this cold snap didn't promise such an event anyway.

Snow  showers most frequent in the east. I don't believe that any model forecasted more than a  dusting of snow over the weekend. The GFS precip charts are low res so can give the impression of greater snow  chances - whereas in reality we are looking  at snow showers with the greatest chance of accumulation over eastward-facing locations at elevation.

Posted
5 minutes ago, 4wd said:

White over here just now but still +0.7C so may not last long.
This will be the pattern I suspect.

N York Moors in bets prime spot over the coming days I think for snow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Had a light flurry earlier but it's too warm to settle just yet. Current 1.2c with a dew of 0.1c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
11 hours ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Sure he always down plays snow

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_17021100_0900.gif

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 1

Posted

Very fine light snow at 6:30 when I set off for the station. Not settling, 2C.

• Like 3