Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Snow is now almost at the far north of the region according to the radar. Already had a blip of sleet in one very heavy shower. Guess it could turn to snow soon after nightfall at this rate, pity everywhere is wet due to all the rain showers so will be difficult for it to settle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Certainly looks interesting for tomorrow night (early hours of Friday morning). Euro4, NMM, Hirlam all suggesting a period of snow across the eastern half of our region.

Here is the Euro4 rain/snow chart to highlight what I mean...

17011306_1106.gif

The potential is there for some eastern parts of Yorkshire, who haven't seen lying snow for years, to get a couple of centimetres out of this. Equally, there's a chance that higher T850s could spoil the party bringing rain to these areas. Nail-biting stuff for snow fans!

Edit: Latest GFS (12z) does indeed have a pesky warm sector affecting the eastern half of the region, with uppers around -4c. I really hope for my sake, and everyone else in eastern areas, this isn't what happens!

Edited by Cold Winter
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Brilliant day too mild for any snow but it's so rare these days to have strong winds all day. As I said at work the most noteworthy feature is likely to be the wind and so it is. Haven't caught with the latest forecasts yet. Local forecast does mention a little snow but I suspect the winds will be the main feature again Thursday into Friday. Gusts up to 68 mph and a nice force 7 at one stage.

Posted

Good job I'm in London for once, hopefully yall will get some snow.

Posted

Hopefully we'll get some decent snow showers here on the coast when the northerly kicks in on Friday. Met warnings for the coast so hopefully not a marginal situation! 

I feel snow may be overshadowed here by the immense sea's expected. 

High tide Friday pm is at 6.07m. Storm jude was 6.34 and there's a he'll of a lot more fetch this time. Surge with 13-15ft swells expected. 

These pics are from today with tide at 5.9m and a westerly! 

20170111_145123.jpg

20170111_142638(0).jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
34 minutes ago, PMPhotography said:

Hopefully we'll get some decent snow showers here on the coast when the northerly kicks in on Friday. Met warnings for the coast so hopefully not a marginal situation! 

I feel snow may be overshadowed here by the immense sea's expected. 

High tide Friday pm is at 6.07m. Storm jude was 6.34 and there's a he'll of a lot more fetch this time. Surge with 13-15ft swells expected. 

These pics are from today with tide at 5.9m and a westerly! 

20170111_145123.jpg

20170111_142638(0).jpg

Tempted to come and have a look Friday morning Paul, could be quite spectacular.

Posted
14 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Tempted to come and have a look Friday morning Paul, could be quite spectacular.

It will be. I'm at work all flaming day! 

Here's a couple more from today. 

FB_IMG_1484167448227.jpgFB_IMG_1484167402963.jpgFB_IMG_1484167411558.jpg

FB_IMG_1484167448227.jpg

FB_IMG_1484167448227.jpg

Edited by PMPhotography
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Hi everyone

Nice to see the thread getting busy now :)

Good luck to us all, im sure there will be a few chances over the next few days. Things always seem to pop up not forecast. Hope we all get some snow :cold:

Interesting that the models are now trying to keep us cold and bring an easterly next week. A few ice days would be magic. We've not had a proper wintry spell for a few years now! Hoping thats the case cuz current forecast showing 8c for Sunday!!

Posted

Noticed the local forecast has downgraded our snow chances for tomorrow. At the moment still mild and temperatures have been rising since 18:30 so anything that will fall will be rain at the moment. Unless it's gets heavy and pulls the cooler air down from above.

Posted
On 10 January 2017 at 17:10, reef said:

Its another inland/altitude event again at the moment. The mild sector in the North Sea is looking too close now:

T850.pngdewpoints.png

Still, there's 72 hours or so for it to move back east. Just as long as it doesn't move west or grow further.

I agree for you in East Yorkshire, but for South and West Yorkshire the parameters would see snow down to low levels

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

Looking quite snowy for eastern coasts Friday lunchtime. Plus a storm surge .if anyone is familiar with staxton Hill near scarborough blizzards and drifting snow are possible B1249.

• Like 2

Posted

Can't see any snow for us today. Mild at the moment for early Jan with light rain showers dew point not favorable either. So Friday hopefully will bring something all depends on whether the cold air is allowed to move south after today's system.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
52 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Can't see any snow for us today. Mild at the moment for early Jan with light rain showers dew point not favorable either. So Friday hopefully will bring something all depends on whether the cold air is allowed to move south after today's system.

Yes Meto outlook for the next couple of days is very underwhelming.  Talk of wintry showers and hills!

Oh well roll on summer ha ha!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

A lump of heavier precipitation moving into the West of the region at the moment?

Could be some snow in the heavier bursts and certainly with elevation?  @cowdog?!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Snowing steadily now in Rishworth (between Halifax. And Huddersfield), a couple of hours ahead of recemt metoffice forecast.

EDIT 168m asl by the way.

Edited by ukpaul
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

am i right in thinking that the next cold shot that the models are firming up on, is only any good for the south? as thats the impression i get when reading through the MOD thread. 

Thanks 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Back to sleet after 15 minutes or so but started to stick.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, snow*please said:

am i right in thinking that the next cold shot that the models are firming up on, is only any good for the south? as thats the impression i get when reading through the MOD thread. 

Thanks 

I think with any cold spell surprises can pop up all the time. We could have two foot of snow and the southerners wouldn't acknowledge it like the March 2013 cold spell.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, snow*please said:

Thanks 

The thing with the MOD thread is the comments tend to be biased towards the posters region. Can understand that though

For us (South Yorkshire), got to admit I can't really see where we are going to get any "substantial" snow. Maybe a shower here and there but nothing of note IMO. Even the upcoming easterly of next week is having the S / SE in the firing line and whilst we are on the edge of some cold uppers, precipitation is hard to see. These things do tend to just crop up on you though

Pretty pessimistic on our prospects so far TBH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Having little sleety showers here, alternating rapidly between full snow and full rain

• Like 2

Posted
11 hours ago, inghams85 said:

I agree for you in East Yorkshire, but for South and West Yorkshire the parameters would see snow down to low levels

I think the D/P's look a lot better than a few days ago - and with heavy falls etc etc

Edited by Light Without Heat

Posted
11 minutes ago, Light Without Heat said:

I think the D/P's look a lot better than a few days ago - and with heavy falls etc etc

i agree Chris , the snow starved East Riding could get some snow tonight  ( Beverley and Hull deserve some luck ! )

e6.gif

• Like 1

Posted

It's going to be a case of now casting and radar watching today and tonight to see where the showers hit and whether you will be under the mild sector or not tonight.

here in Leeds we currently have moderate sleety rain which has just turned into proper snow flakes. Hopefully more to come later as the colder air digs in.