Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Interesting to see this feature appearing rather suddenly, and only 3 days away (although that is still enough time for this feature to be dropped entirely!).

Do you think West Yorkshire could do well from this in terms of a bite at both fronts on Thursday and Friday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Love Snow said:

Do you think West Yorkshire could do well from this in terms of a bite at both fronts on Thursday and Friday.

I think we'll only see a few showers on Thursday. Friday looking best for prolonged snowfall. But nothing is certain yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
5 hours ago, cheese said:

Interesting to see this feature appearing rather suddenly, and only 3 days away (although that is still enough time for this feature to be dropped entirely!).

Yeah, I picked up on that.  Spring tides, gale force NNWs and dropping pressure from the North explains why the EA identified the risk of a North Sea storm surge on Friday.

GFS 18z run - Friday morning.  High tide at Whitby is 4.30ish, Skegness 6.30ish - definitely worth keeping an eye on if you live on the seafront, given the high tides already forecast.

ukwind.png

Edited by Just Before Dawn
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

And so it begins........

17011212_1012.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Warm sector now further out to sea.. could be a decent covering here for Yorkshire  :cold:

gfs-2-60.pnggfs-1-60.png

would love to see the southern front correct even further north in the morning.

Oh , nice to see this thread busy as well.  

Posted

God gfs does my head in.Just likely to be right knowing our luck.

Anyway hopefully all of us will see some white stuff falling.

Ideally hope we cash in Friday morning then can only see snow showers around coastal areas followed by sun n frost but hoping the front moving in from the west sun into monday slows and stalls.

Then. .............

A massive unstable cold airflow with snow showers slowly spreading inland on that ecm easterly lol.

Oh to have Feb 91again sigh.

What's everyone's thought's? 

I can see a middle ground scenario re not as amplified as ecm but light easterly flow with not much oomph.

Hope I'm wrong.

Goodluck all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

I think it will happen all around us and miss us (close but no cigar, so to speak!). Looks like my MiL in Lancashire is going to get a pasting, East coast might pick something up, and both Scotland and the South-East are looking good for a fair amount. The Yorkshire snowshield does its job once again!

Posted

Drifting during showers could be spectacular higher up even if there's barely a covering.
This sort of thing...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

quite strong winds this morning, which im not enjoying, keep checking on the back garden fence which was looking a tad shakey this morning lol. 

i have a gut feeling we are missing out over the coming days, snow all around us though by the looks of it, sods law. 

hoping something crops up at short notice, but you cant win them all  :wallbash:

Posted

Looks like parts of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire could get snow from the weather systems on both Thursday AND Friday, according to the latest GFS run!

Unfortunately it does show a rather large warm sector so a bit hit and miss for East Yorks and coastal Lincs. 

Thursday snow risk:

uksnowrisk.png

Friday snow risk:

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

Edited by cheese

Posted
2 hours ago, Snowday said:

I think it will happen all around us and miss us (close but no cigar, so to speak!). Looks like my MiL in Lancashire is going to get a pasting, East coast might pick something up, and both Scotland and the South-East are looking good for a fair amount. The Yorkshire snowshield does its job once again!

Yorkshire snow shield? We've done well over the past few years! At least in Leeds.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

We've had a couple of hours of about a cm of lying snow over the last couple of years, but nothing of any note round the Huddersfield area since 2012. A shame as I love nothing more than going for a walk on a crisp, cold snowy morning but just seems to have been a bit of a damp squib for us!

I know the Leeds has been a bit luckier than us though - several staff members where I work have struggled to make it to work when we've had absolutely nothing over here in CleckHuddersFax!

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Looks like parts of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire could get snow from the weather systems on both Thursday AND Friday, according to the latest GFS run!

Unfortunately it does show a rather large warm sector so a bit hit and miss for East Yorks and coastal Lincs. 

Thursday snow risk:

uksnowrisk.png

Friday snow risk:

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

How you feeling about Leeds, Cheese? Chance of a covering?

On an side point, surprisingly windy this morning. Quite a few trees down on my way to Roundhay earlier. 

Posted
27 minutes ago, saint said:

How you feeling about Leeds, Cheese? Chance of a covering?

On an side point, surprisingly windy this morning. Quite a few trees down on my way to Roundhay earlier. 

Definitely a possibility, more so on Friday, but I think it will be case of watching the radar on the day. Even at 24-48 hours these things are still hard to pin down.

Funnily enough you'd have a better chance of seeing some snow in St Albans tomorrow than up here! Bet that doesn't happen too often, lol.

Posted
8 minutes ago, cheese said:

Definitely a possibility, more so on Friday, but I think it will be case of watching the radar on the day. Even at 24-48 hours these things are still hard to pin down.

Funnily enough you'd have a better chance of seeing some snow in St Albans tomorrow than up here! Bet that doesn't happen too often, lol.

Really, St Albans? Haha, damnit! I only came back on Sunday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Deleted

Edited by winterof79

Posted

Few showers with a wintry feel In Leeds this afternoon ceertainly a drop in Temperature.

Edited by Love Snow

Posted

Hopefully get something out of this upcoming spell not to confident at min last decent snowfall was Jan 2013 had few coverings since then but nothing that hung around long got feeling we will be in dreaded mild sector. 

Posted
On 1/10/2017 at 11:07, tayzi said:

Just watched weatherman Dave on Itv's This Morning. He does the " natural way of forecasting "  apparently Yorkshire is in for a "double whammy" with lots of snow this coming cold spell from NE and from the east ..He has a 90% accuracy rating ...havent a clue if he knows what hes on about but Il take it :rofl:

Hoping barnsley sees some snow this week