Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE England and EA Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Hi Surrey,

The kind of tracks shown yesterday were a little more ideal for engaging that colder air a little sooner - this was also partially down to the wave/low development being a little stronger, which also resulted in more intense precipitation formation (which of course in turn produced more evaporative cooling).

I haven't got the time this morning unfortunately but it would be interesting to see how the WV imagery ties in with the 0z initialisation. I saw Ian F mention on twitter yesterday that as of 12z the Met Office were happy with the WV/Euro4 continuity, but that was now 12 hours ago. The hope would be that perhaps that's slightly out of kilter as of 0z and it's a bit of a rogue run, but no guarantees.

Posted

Yep as others have said a nowcast situation , thoughts at the mo is that radar is showing less development of the low , this can change later 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Part of the outcome will be due to the speed the front moves through. Latest Euro 4 shows precip mostly gone bar far SE by 9pm. Meto reflects this with many locations now dry by this time that were previously showing some form of wet/white stuff falling. Arome model shows precip pushing through just as quick but more keen on a wintry mix rather than mostly rain as on Euro 4. So yes, time to nowcast! 

17011218_1200 (1).gif

Posted

More positively, BBC graphics look far more optimistic about snowfall potential, which would suggest some heavily modified 0z fields from the big man at Exeter

• Like 2

Posted

It just opinion but from years of watching these events the front always moves through quicker then models indicate , we may get more oompf when the cold air really starts digging in and interacting as the low moves through so plenty to watch today

btw good ecm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Yesterday at 5 am it was 10c here in MK , today its between 4 and 5c , come on cold air , do your thing

Posted

Not the most inspiring forecast on BBC London earlier,rain turning to snow on hills and MAYBE on low ground too,but no mention if it will settle , or amounts of snow  ,a  very poorly presented forecast ,considering the impact if it does settle, are the met still not sure yet? 

Edited by SLEETY

Posted

still no strong continuity which is no surprise given the developing feature. this is going to be a nowcast and given the timing, it's a huge problem. I have the feeling that the wording this morning shows a lack of belief from Exeter that widespread settling snow is likely. 

Posted
46 minutes ago, snowking said:

More positively, BBC graphics look far more optimistic about snowfall potential, which would suggest some heavily modified 0z fields from the big man at Exeter

That'll be because they're using the 18z EURO4 (and perhaps some blend of UKV) at this stage. 00z data doesn't come into the system until late morning

Posted

Hi all, not been on this thread for a bit... today sounds interesting!

The met office forecast for Reigate is still showing heavy snow from 5. I think with all the rain before, I don't expect it to settle - but the ice will be horrendous tomorrow morning! 

IMG_0615.PNG

Posted

This highlights the 850 temps for the two features today and early tomorrow.

If it is on the money you will see the problem we have with todays feature. Too much milder air wrapped up in it giving us mostly rain with perhaps an hour of snow on the back edge, before it clears the whole region by around 9pm. If it were to track further south, then that will increase our chances of a longer spell of snow. Look out your window from around 5/6pm and see what is happening, as the models have no idea. Personally I am writing any settling snow off for my location, but expecting to see a few flakes falling on the back edge, nothing more.

The feature moving down early hours Fri morning looks far more promising for snow. You will note a milder wedge of air coming down from the N/NW but we are talking -4 850's at worst in the far East. Compared to today where we are nudging positive 850's. If it keeps that track, then quite a few if not all of us could be heading to work with a dusting of snow (1-2cm tops) I think this is the best shot of settling snow out of the two features over the next 24hrs or so.

tempresult_yyi8.gif

Dewpoints for same time frame. Look at the difference after 6pm today.

tempresult_ymu6.gif

Edited by Southender
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms
16 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

Latest net weather app radar for info...

IMG_0616.PNG

That a looks to me like the precipitation is further west than was showing for this time in last nights forecast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers & Thunderstorms Cold Winters & Snow
1 minute ago, john mac said:

That a looks to me like the precipitation is further west than was showing for this time in last nights forecast!

Is that a good thing? I thought that the later the precip  arrived the better? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Ben Blizzard said:

Is that a good thing? I thought that the later the precip  arrived the better? 

I think so because I guess it shows that it's slowler moving allowing the cold to dig in quicker

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
31 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

That'll be because they're using the 18z EURO4 (and perhaps some blend of UKV) at this stage. 00z data doesn't come into the system until late morning

00z is still mostly rain though.

Posted

I have some meetings up on the downs this afternoon (I'm a planning officer) - in kingswood, Epsom downs and Banstead - I would expect the rain to be turning sleety at that elevation by 3ish if we are going to see any meaningful snow...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
47 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

Yes it does, the 0z come out 4/5am then the 06z comes out about 11am 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Not inspiring this morning but will have to take whatever comes . Oh to just see a flake falling from the London skyline . Fingers crossed guys and will be back in here later.

Posted

My advice would be to treat this afternoon/eve as a bonus if you see any snow. The chances of snow dramatically increase after 6pm tonight and right through the weekend. So not all doom and gloom, just treat today as a taster for what may come from Fri morning onwards.

• Like 1