Cold?
IGNORED

SE England and EA Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
12 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Thames streamer anyone? 

Screenshot_20170110-110442.png

Don't take anything literally at the minute we won't know anything snow wise till 12 hours before and even right up to showers etc cropping up. 

The gfs finally turns itself around and comes on board with cold 

Trouble is we have been down this road before,so don't get to fixed on this incase it all goew wrong.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Again, it is still all to play for, the slightest tweaks on the models and we could get nothing, but a tweak the other way....

Not much sleep the next few nights me thinks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

When are the Met office going to come on board? the last forecast I saw from them this morning said looking in to next week with mild south westerly winds!

Edited by Rob Deacon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
4 minutes ago, Rob Deacon said:

When are the Met office going to come on board? the last forecast I saw from them this morning said looking in to next week with mild south westerly winds!

In the written forecast or the little video forecast they put out?

Posted

I have an actual yellow warning for snow from the met up on the North Norfolk coast :)) I don't think I ever remember being covered by one so I'm hoping this means we have a chance of some action this time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

Sorry should of said, it's the BBC online video forecast updated this morning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008flb5

Posted

How many times have we been down this road with the beast from the East.If this does happen we nearly always get snow from a Thames streamer all depending on how much disturbance is in the atmosphere.

Lets give it another couple of days before we all get to excited.

Posted

Not sure when the Met O update the forecasts for the UK, but they have just updated the warning page

Issued at:
12:16 on Mon 9 Jan 2017

Valid from:
12:00 on Thu 12 Jan 2017

Valid to:
12:00 on Fri 13 Jan 2017

Cold northerly winds will bring frequent snow showers through Thursday and into Friday. Be aware of the potential for disruption to transport networks.

A cold airstream will be in place by Thursday afternoon, bringing frequent snow showers to areas exposed to the northerly wind. A further 2-5 cm of snow is possible, with an additional 10-20 cm above about 200 m. Lightning may be an additional hazard, with possible disruption to power supplies.

• Like 2

Posted

Turns out the latest met warnings completely wipe all warnings from anywhere near our region..

Posted
1 minute ago, fulham snow said:

How many times have we been down this road with the beast from the East.If this does happen we nearly always get snow from a Thames streamer all depending on how much disturbance is in the atmosphere.

as i said earlier .... seeing is believing. Personally I can remember the massive let down a few years back which dented my confidence in any forecast past 2 - 3 days.

Posted
3 minutes ago, fulham snow said:

Are you discounting the earlier threat from the NW then?

IMO we need to focus more on what's happening over the next few days rather than further into FI

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
Just now, MAF said:

as i said earlier .... seeing is believing. Personally I can remember the massive let down a few years back which dented my confidence in any forecast past 2 - 3 days.

yes caution,but people have got there hopes up so high there could be a few heart attacks if it all goes pear shape

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The Met office have just issued a yellow warning for the entire Southern England for rain turning to snow on Thursday. 

"Rain moving eastwards across the south of the UK on Thursday may turn to snow in places. Whilst this is unlikely, there is a small chance of snow settling with disruption to road, rail and air services as well as interruptions to power supplies and other utilities. Associated heavy rain and strong winds may prove additional hazards."

Edited by Daniel Smith
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

The Met office have just issued a yellow warning for the entire Southern England for rain turning to snow on Thursday. 

"Rain moving eastwards across the south of the UK on Thursday may turn to snow in places. Whilst this is unlikely, there is a small chance of snow settling with disruption to road, rail and air services as well as interruptions to power supplies and other utilities. Associated heavy rain and strong winds may prove additional hazards."

:hi::good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

ccVxr85.jpg<---Excuse small pic:unknw: A click enlarges it:spiteful:

Quick before it goes, for my area. See what I see?

That's right a sleet symbol right on the School run.

Indeed, If it gonna you know gonna, it's gonna do it then.

:good:

Edited by Dami

Posted

Timing of the precipitation on Thursday will be key, the later the better :good:.....That's why the Meto have a very difficult calls to make across the country, I expect lots of changes to them warnings and the timings prior and during the event.

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted

happy as a pig in muck Why may you ask... we have a weather warning that includes SNOW. even if we don't see it we had a chance. makes a change from wet and windy dross....

• Like 5

Posted

bbc have now given out a weather warning for Bedfordshire ,wonder how long before that's changed before Thursday lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

New Warning out for Friday from the MetOffice :)

Issued at: 
13:28 on Tue 10 Jan 2017

Valid from: 
00:05 on Fri 13 Jan 2017

Valid to: 
23:55 on Fri 13 Jan 2017

Further showers of snow, sleet and hail will continue across parts of the UK. 2 to 4 cm of snow may affect some lowland areas, while high ground may see locally 5 to 10 cm. Disruption to transport networks seems likely either due to snow or ice. Additionally, strong winds and large waves will affect some eastern coastal areas.

A cold northerly airstream will keep the risk of wintry weather going through Friday. Some inland areas, sheltered from the northerly wind, seem likely to escape most of the showers.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I have to go to Brighton from Medway on Thursday. I am not going if it's snowing. Don't want to risk not getting back.

• Like 1

Posted

I see the Meto have held back on the 5 day written forecast so far...

Further afield though...

UK Outlook for Sunday 15 Jan 2017 to Tuesday 24 Jan 2017:

We'll see a continuation of the cold northerly airflow at first on Sunday, although a ridge of high pressure building from the west will help to confine the wintry showers to the east. Meanwhile, we may see cloud and rain pushing in from the Atlantic later on Sunday, with a little snow possible on its leading edge. There is some uncertainty with the eastward progress of the cloud and rain during Monday, with a continued risk of snow on its leading edge. Chance of more generally settled weather developing from Tuesday, particularly across the south and east, with the increasing risk of overnight frost and fog. Any influence from the Atlantic confined to the far northwest, with some rain and hill snow possible at times.

Updated at: 1300 on Tue 10 Jan 2017

Meto Forecast

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Not often I post in other regions regional threads but I thought you guys deserved some 06z Arpege eye candy;

arpegeuk-1-69-0.png

arpegeuk-1-70-0.png

Edited by AWD
  • Like 3

Posted

Essex County Council have sent a warning to staff about "severe weather" on Friday advising office-based staff to work from home. 

It seems a little heavy-handed but with all of that slush around on Thursday evening, I'm wondering whether they've been briefed on specific issues like ice. It does seem more likely to be the biggest problem for the Friday commute.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, AWD said:

Not often I post in other regions regional threads but I thought you guys deserved some 06z Arpege eye candy;

arpegeuk-1-69-0.png

arpegeuk-1-70-0.png

Bank

• Like 2