SE England and EA Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Sleeting outside 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
10 minutes ago, Daryl Dixon said:

Sleeting outside 

Are you on high ground ? I know it says on your profile upper wigmore but it seems some places in the U.K. That are the polar opposite to what it seems .

Edited by Mark wheeler

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Nothing but rain here, as expected. I'm glad some of you got some flakes. Whether sleet or snizzle.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Heavy rain and 4C here ATM. Light east wind...still too dark for a sleet-test!:cold:

Posted
8 hours ago, Mark wheeler said:

Are you on high ground ? I know it says on your profile upper wigmore but it seems some places in the U.K. That are the polar opposite to what it seems .

was around 500ft. It turned to full on rain but as the front moved in we had some sleet. Nice to see for first week in Nov

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very heavy rain early this morning, rained for much of the night too. Gloomy but dry now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
11 hours ago, Ben Blizzard said:

Precip hasn't arrived here yet,  but DP is still -1. Interesting. Temp 3.3c

Edit - How reliable is Wunderground.com? 

Hi Ben. I'm no expert on Wunderground and only occasionally look at their 'current conditions' output for my location as they contain more detail than the Met Office 'latest observations' (e.g. they give DP and windchill readings and Met O don't). But for readings common to both, Wunderground & the Met O do agree. I don't use them for any forecasts.
I would suggest treating them as one source amongst many and make comparisons and form a view.

By the way, here's a handy website that allows you to enter temp and relative humidity and it calculates the DP for you:
http://www.dpcalc.org/

Back to today and it's a miserable start here. Wet and a chilly 6C. But looks even worse down in Sussex and Kent!

Radar Tues 09 Nov 09.40.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers & Thunderstorms Cold Winters & Snow
5 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Hi Ben. I'm no expert on Wunderground and only occasionally look at their 'current conditions' output for my location as they contain more detail than the Met Office 'latest observations' (e.g. they give DP and windchill readings and Met O don't). But for readings common to both, Wunderground & the Met O do agree. I don't use them for any forecasts.
I would suggest treating them as one source amongst many and make comparisons and form a view.

By the way, here's a handy website that allows you to enter temp and relative humidity and it calculates the DP for you:
http://www.dpcalc.org/

Back to today and it's a miserable start here. Wet and a chilly 6C. But looks even worse down in Sussex and Kent!

Radar Tues 09 Nov 09.40.jpg

Thank you very much for the link and for the advice @Blessed Weather Wunderground is good, however I think it can be a bit 'dodgy' at times. For instance, last night it was telling me my dew point was  -8 at one point, surely that was an error!!

Anyway, Thanks again :)

Edited by Ben Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Ben Blizzard said:

Thank you very much for the link and for the advice @Blessed Weather Wunderground is good, however I think it can be a bit 'dodgy' at times. For instance, last night it was telling me my dew point was  -8 at one point, surely that was an error!!

Anyway, Thanks again :)

No probs. I think that was an error with the DP. With a temp of 3.3C and a DP of -8C I believe the relative humidity would have to have been much lower (around 44%), but the Met Office were reporting your humidity as around 90% last evening.

• Like 1

Posted

Sad Sad day today for those of us who have lived in Croydon and ever used the tram. having lived in and used the tram extensively over a 5 year period, going to and from Beckenham and elmers end underneath the sandliands turning. Poor souls you cannot imagine the crash, but it seems like they have already established the cause being driver error as the rail safety board has said he was going to fast round the bend. As someone said earlier on FB hold your loved ones tighter tonight as 5 (could be more) souls wont return today :-(

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, Jimmyh said:

Sad Sad day today for those of us who have lived in Croydon and ever used the tram. having lived in and used the tram extensively over a 5 year period, going to and from Beckenham and elmers end underneath the sandliands turning. Poor souls you cannot imagine the crash, but it seems like they have already established the cause being driver error as the rail safety board has said he was going to fast round the bend. As someone said earlier on FB hold your loved ones tighter tonight as 5 (could be more) souls wont return today :-(

Very sad, Jimmy. I also used to frequent that line.:(

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Very sad, Jimmy. I also used to frequent that line.:(

hate to think what speed he was doing as we all know they seemed to always go faster especially round that bend, plus its the bigger of the 2 trams as well. Horific. I think death toll will rise as they have been mentioning 2 trapped for hours, not mentioned them since

Morning people,

Well yesterday was a dark day depending on how you look at what happened (US) and for our region in Croydon. I hope that some serious lessons are learned, however this should not have cost human life. My thoughts are with those who lost a loved one.

Back to the weather and my post on Saturday about mobility in the atlantic is beginning to unfold some very nasty lows showing on the models. (But as quick as they show up they can be removed) 

The model thread seems to have gone slightly quiet than it recently was. 

Looking at it now, we build in high pressure after the weekend which mainly effects our weather down south deflecting the incoming lows further north. However, what happens after this is the question mark. Will the jet dig south enough to allow cooler conditions from the north to sink south over all and keep back the atlantic with the block out east coming into play.

Or, will the jet set up home mid Atlantic and fly those lows right at as and keep the steam train going.

Interesting times ahead and it looks like there is all kinds of weather to keep everyone "happy" wind, rain, cold, mild, dry

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Starting to see some signs of a bit of snow for our region in 7 days, well into FI but a long way to go...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Quite a heavy hail shower here at work in Hounslow, west London.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Just had a very heavy rain/hail shower here. Quite nice to see the rain as it's been very dry here since the start of July. 

Posted

Bit of a rainbow looking east toward central London on back end of passing hail shower 

rainbow.jpg

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Some heavy showers up here at times and the winds got quite gusty in them as well. Still it has felt milder today and the heating isn't on for the first night in a while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Today is the day I'm finally getting my new PC.

So even if it did snow I wouldn't take much notice.

My brand new top of the range -does a dance- PC.

But I can see the sun today.

Posted

Lovely autumnal morning with low sun coming through the mist. Overnight min of 1.7C here.

Just back from an early dog walk and thoroughly enjoyed it (me I mean!). :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

I think we might have to wait a little longer than 7 days for a hint of snow, unless I've misread a couple of posts above, looks mild to me for 10days atleast.

A couple of weeks back I posted about the cool followed by milder then a return to cooler by the final week of the month, I think I've misjudged that prediction by a further 7 days but all is not lost, I like the fact Russia has seen one of it's coldest November days since 1999.and Sweden heaviest snowfall in November for 111yrs :) 

I think we'll a few close but no cigar situations to get through but it's important we don't get frustrated as we face a totally different set-up than previous few years.

Use to be a time when we had to wait till the last month of Winter for decent snow :D

P.S It's Mild up in the Artic, almost a heatwave lol ;) 

Edited by Kent Blizzard