Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE England and EA Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
36 minutes ago, jamesbhx said:

Total predicted accumulations as of tomorrow morning. AROME 1.3km model. 00z run.

snowchart.png

yay arome has come on board for my corner.

• Like 2

Posted
37 minutes ago, SnowShoeHare said:

Just happy to see it on the MetO website, I have not so fond memories of walking home from central London after a similar event in 2003 so will be leaving early regardless. Anything is a bonus.

Same here except I was cycling. Started snowing just before I left work.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, snowy weather said:

Hey Steve, how's it looking for west Sussex, more specifically Crawley/horsham?

BBC weather and the met office has us down for heavy snow from 5pm to 9pm.

Is that still pretty much what the models are showing?

Well very difficult to pin down- the suggestion is we will all see snow this eve- however elevated areas over 100m will see accumulations

there will also be an area where the PPN hits the max where sea level will see some cover - destination unknown lol- 

suggest trying a little drive to that really high hill - its always in the clouds in surrey cant remember the name- its the highest point in surrey -

theres a nice pub on the top- ! Someone will know the name!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Well very difficult to pin down- the suggestion is we will all see snow this eve- however elevated areas over 100m will see accumulations

there will also be an area where the PPN hits the max where sea level will see some cover - destination unknown lol- 

suggest trying a little drive to that really high hill - its always in the clouds in surrey cant remember the name- its the highest point in surrey -

Box Hill?

I think there's another one but can't remember the name for now either, I expect both will be good.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Leith Hill isn't it?

Posted

Hmm my house is at 120m above sea level just on the outskirts of the ashdown forest. So could be a sweet spot suspect Crowborough will get an all snow event :) @Steve Murr

Edited by Tom Jarvis

Posted

Box hill is a tall one... I think leith hill maybe the tallest but the roads there will get very treacherous if it settles...

best hill is probably Reigate Hill for access

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
9 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Whats your take on the more southerly track the low could take? 

Edited by Seasonality

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
6 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

I found that pub once, must be 10 years ago when we had a late Easterly in March. Anyway all the hills were covered in thick snow and the low ground in between was completely green! Strange really.

GFS high res still looking good to me, I have often used this even though its not very high res to good effect. Met O have often got the SNOW forecast terribly wrong when GFS was spot on. When GFS says NO on the other hand, I have never known it to be wrong at under 24hrs.

18-574.GIF

• Like 2

Posted

I am driving from the Isle of Wight to Rochester in Kent tonight for work in the morning. Heading off at 6pm tonight. Is this a good idea?

Posted

We do not want a southerly movement in the track, as less cold air is wrapped into it so I heard. The more 'north' the better if anything, the BBC weather app still gives me heavy snow for a few hours, it will be exciting to see how it unfolds. :) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

morning everybody long time no speak.  i'm  here in Bexley with the Davis vue   awaiting the great temp battle let the battle commence!    

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

That looks about right no me. Highest ground though will surely do best, maybe 5cm?

21-780.GIF

Posted
4 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Whats your take on the more southerly track the low could take? 

MetO Chief Forecastor's Assessment (for today's yellow warning)

'As a developing area of low pressure moves east across southern Britain on Thursday there is potential for rain to turn rapidly to snow as cold air is drawn in. However, there is a great deal of uncertainty over the track and intensity of this system, meaning that confidence is low in the amount and extent of any snow.'

Posted
4 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

Latest radar for info...

IMG_0617.PNG

Looks more like it's coming in further north to me?

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Changing Skies said:

We do not want a southerly movement in the track, as less cold air is wrapped into it so I heard. The more 'north' the better if anything, the BBC weather app still gives me heavy snow for a few hours, it will be exciting to see how it unfolds. :) 

The warmer air is in the southern part of the low,

lp.gif

lp2.gif

What we don't want (for this neck of the woods) is a more Northerly track.

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Snow symbols completely gone now from met office for Norwich, just showing rain

Posted

Remember about 5 years ago.....

Steve Murr said Snow bomb about to hit Sussex! and the next min it happened..... best moment ever!

Edited by West Sussex Kate
  • Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Looks more like it's coming in further north to me?

The LP is yet to form. Cyclogenesis initiates about midday. UNLESS it's started early, which is not a good thing.

cg.gif

cg2.gif

cg3.gif

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Forecast this morning keeps mentioning the snow later with "Blizzards" possible on the North Downs, then more snow possible Friday before turning milder up to 9C on Sunday

Posted
32 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Thanks steve. So far so good for me....