Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SW & CS England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Clear cold and frosty again tonight. -1.4c and falling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Been foggy all day here and feeling very chilly. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

evening all, a low of -5.1c last night.

heading swiftly towards 0c currently 0.6c

fromey

Posted
8 minutes ago, Smartie said:

Been foggy all day here and feeling very chilly. 

I drove down to WSM or at least the edge of it near Sandford and I drove across the Mendip highway and down through the gorge which was stunningly white frosty almost like snow only to then out of no where hit the gloom at the bottom. Was nasty driving conditions in places down your way. I was happy to drive back home.

I thought the fog was to clear by lunch (which was why i left until this afternoon) for you and to be ushered out by cloud from north east but now we have a warning for fog out again for region for another night? 

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Started with a stunning morning then the fog came in and has stayed all day. I didn't realise it was meant to be frosty tonight again, thought it was meant to be getting warmer? I'm not complaining- I love this weather! 

Edited by khodds
Spelling mistake

Posted
45 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Looks like a repeat of the last few nights here. -3.1C already

It certainly seems colder than the written forecast on bbc would have us believe but it is a slower drop tonight I was a degree colder this time yesterday. :laugh:

Currently -3.0 

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Fog has been here all day, frost cleared early afternoon and made the fog even denser.  Temperature maxed at +1.3°C early afternoon, currently at -1.4°C  Roads will be lethal in the morning as they are wet from the fog and the chances of our local roads being gritted are zilch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Looking around the wrist slashing and throat cutting seems a little less painful (but still obvious) over on (dare I say it) TWO :oops:

TWO is certainly less dramatic and has fewer prozac princesses than the NW model thread. Mind you I can understand the frustration!

• Like 1

Posted
55 minutes ago, Lyn-M said:

Fog has been here all day, frost cleared early afternoon and made the fog even denser.  Temperature maxed at +1.3°C early afternoon, currently at -1.4°C  Roads will be lethal in the morning as they are wet from the fog and the chances of our local roads being gritted are zilch.

I thought that was the "joy" of living in the countryside, that of less traffic? Including gritters:whistling:

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I just popped outside for as smoke, and I nearly went on my backside - It was like a cross between come dancing and a bush tucker trial! I shone the torch out there, and the ice can't be seen, so I dread to think what untreated roads are like?

The fog has lifted and now the stars are out, -1.8 °C with a hard frost. 

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I just popped outside for as smoke, and I nearly went on my backside - It was like a cross between come dancing and a bush tucker trial! I shone the torch out there, and the ice can't be seen, so I dread to think what untreated roads are like?

The fog has lifted and now the stars are out, -1.8 °C with a hard frost. 

:rofl: this made me giggle! Not looking forward to the morning then... -4.2 here currently!! 

• Like 1

Posted

Temps on the rise here.Up to -0.6 C from -3.8 earlier. Walked back from the gym earlier and I have to walk over a bridge on an untreated road(joys of rural living!) and that was a tad slippy underfoot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Temperature hovering at -01.2C at the moment. Very foggy still. Maximum of only 01.6C today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Still very foggy here and temp -1.4c, looks like it could be icy out too like Mapantz noticed when he went out for a smoke:D

The roads could be doggy in the morning.

Posted

I'm posting this in here as opposed to the model thread as I haven't got a clue when it comes to models but, am I right in thinking the following...?

1) a mild spell/interlude was always on the cards for next week?

2) models are all over the place partly due to a storm/cyclone near India and they are struggling because of this?

3) the Meto have forecasted an increased chance of a blocked second half to winter (at the moment) 

4) models can flip back again within a day or two..?

so.. if I'm right, what's the fuss in there all about?!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

In answer to your questions.  1) Yes. 2) Not sure. 3) Yes. 4) Yes

The Model output thread is for the brave and while there's a few who offer some good constructive posts there's a lot who think the UK is situated in the plains of Russia where only snowmageddon exists in weather terms and anything less than the charts show is wrong or a bad run.

The thing that baffles me is that SW England over the last few days has seen the coldest period since 2010 and that goes totally unnoticed simply because 'snow' has not been part of this spell or that people have been looking at charts 240hrs+ for the elusive snowflake while cold weather has been going on outside under their noses. The so called 'faux' cold that this is means not a jot to most folk. All they care about is that It's damn cold outside and to have 3 solid days with unthawed frost in late November is not to be sniffed at anywhere in the UK let alone the SW. This might not be a memorable spell for snow seekers but most everyday folk think that it's been a noteworthy cold spell as it's meant de-icing cars etc etc day and night which is all the general public remember.

For the third night in a row temperatures are in excess of -3C here in Kilmersdon with three days of hoar frost lying unthawed in shaded areas all day let alone night. Get a grip folks this is almost as good as it gets in a standard UK Winter.

• Like 8

Posted
4 minutes ago, Gibby said:

In answer to your questions.  1) Yes. 2) Not sure. 3) Yes. 4) Yes

The Model output thread is for the brave and while there's a few who offer some good constructive posts there's a lot who think the UK is situated in the plains of Russia where only snowmageddon exists in weather terms and anything less than the charts show is wrong or a bad run.

The thing that baffles me is that SW England over the last few days has seen the coldest period since 2010 and that goes totally unnoticed simply because 'snow' has not been part of this spell or that people have been looking at charts 240hrs+ for the elusive snowflake while cold weather has been going on outside under their noses. The so called 'faux' cold that this is means not a jot to most folk. All they care about is that It's damn cold outside and to have 3 solid days with unthawed frost in late November is not to be sniffed at anywhere in the UK let alone the SW. This might not be a memorable spell for snow seekers but most everyday folk think that it's been a noteworthy cold spell as it's meant de-icing cars etc etc day and night which is all the general public remember.

For the third night in a row temperatures are in excess of -3C here in Kilmersdon with three days of hoar frost lying unthawed in shaded areas all day let alone night. Get a grip folks this is almost as good as it gets in a standard UK Winter.

Your quite right Gibby and it is a decent cold snap but to be fair to all the cold lovers on netweather (myself included) we have gone several years without a proper decent snow fall which makes it all more desperate and painful in the search for one.

Shame this frost is going to melt Friday though it is almost thick enough to substitute a light snow fall :laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

All the frost has gone and with it the lovely clear blue sky. Back to grey and cloudy :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Cloudy and grey this morning. All frost thawing. Currently 1.2C

IMG_0990.JPG