Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SW & CS England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Good morning all, another damp start, a few spots of rain in the wind earlier. 

Looking forward to the cold snap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
49 minutes ago, khodds said:

I'm refusing to say anything about two days time let alone any easterly. 

Only thing my family have said is your on holiday next week so we better get the winter tyres on.. :rolleyes::angry:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy

So caught the BBC weather this morning (about 7.20am) and there it was - a big lump of precipitation heading over our region - with much uncertainty about how far north it will be and whether it will be rain, cold rain, very cold rain, rain with sleet mixed in, sleet, snow etc etc. As so often the case with these events we are 48 hours out and still not sure what we will get. I will predict that someone in the south-west to south-east will get some snow out of this, but who is really the big question... Happy days and better than waiting for a zonal train to keep sending endless belts of rain our way!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

How are everyone's weather apps going this morning regarding snow potential. Yesterday we had lots of screen shots suggesting some sleet snow for Thursday evening. Is it still there for your locale? For me thanks to the daughter being up alot of the night I was able to keep tabs on mine. It's worse thatn the MAD thread as it seemingly changes hourly! One point I had 6 hours of sleet and snow suggested only to change to a day of cold rain. Infuriating! It will of course be a nowcast scenario. For the record I'm currently have 9 hours of sleet which could turn to snow could turn to rain!

Slide1.JPG

Edited by festivalking

Posted
2 minutes ago, festivalking said:

How are everyone's weather apps going this morning regarding snow potential. Yesterday we had lots of screen shots suggesting some sleet snow for Thursday evening. Is it still there for your locale? For me thanks to the daughter being up alot of the night I was able to keep tabs on mine. It's worse thatn the MAD thread as it seemingly changes hourly! One point I had 6 hours of sleet and snow suggested to be followed an hour later by cold rain. Infuriating! It will of course be a nowcast scenario. For the record I'm currently have 4 hours of sleet which could turn to snow could turn to rain!

Slide1.JPG

Mine shows heavy rain then heavy snow for afternoon and evening turning to light snow on friday morning. :shok:

Posted
Just now, Nights King said:

Mine shows heavy rain then heavy snow for afternoon and evening turning to light snow on friday morning. :shok:

Proper Job NK!!!

Posted
Just now, festivalking said:

Proper Job NK!!!

Screenshot_2017-01-10-09-16-01.png

Posted
1 minute ago, Nights King said:

Screenshot_2017-01-10-09-16-01.png

Very similar forecast for Princetown. As soon as the wind swings to the north the snow comes. Just shows the extra elevation will be key. Are you at 300 m/asl? Princetown sits at 400 m/asl if I lived there I'd be leaving work early!

Posted
1 minute ago, festivalking said:

Very similar forecast for Princetown. As soon as the wind swings to the north the snow comes. Just shows the extra elevation will be key. Are you at 300 m/asl? Princetown sits at 400 m/asl if I lived there I'd be leaving work early!

Just below but Im further inland and slightly north ect

I'm a fair bit higher than that stations but it is highest one (210) for mendips thats near by to me so tends to be closest to my weather just sometimes turns a bit quicker in snow events etc.

Edited by Nights King

Posted
1 minute ago, Nights King said:

Just below but Im further inland and slightly north ect

Makes sense :) I always find with a fine forecast like that, just 48hrs away it usually only goes one way from here. I hope it holds out for you fella!

Posted
2 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Makes sense :) I always find with a fine forecast like that, just 48hrs away it usually only goes one way from here. I hope it holds out for you fella!

I shall be home all this week waiting for my holiday too so No excuse to miss a flake if it happens :D

You can all have snowmagedon while im away if I can just see one decent fall before I leave so I can say ive seen snow in uk. 

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Mine just says sleet  :sorry:

Posted
3 minutes ago, khodds said:

Mine just says sleet  :sorry:

I'll meet you up the Oakhill for a cheeky pint Thursday afternoon if you like  :D :) If thats a bit sleety we can have one in the mendip inn which is an extra 50 m :rofl:

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves
38 minutes ago, festivalking said:

IMG_1312.JPGI'm hoping my daughter can roll a giant snow ball down the street at Princetown again come the  weekend festive!!

• Like 1

Posted

So the 06 run from the GFS has the precipitation missing us to the South (over the channel), in contrast to the suggested track on the BBC this morning. In time honoured fashion both 'more runs needed' and 'now-casting' come into play... It's a real knife edge - too far north and the cold air may be kept back, too far south and it'll be cold enough but dry...

Posted
7 minutes ago, John Badrick said:

IMG_1312.JPGI'm hoping my daughter can roll a giant snow ball down the street at Princetown again come the  weekend festive!!

That would be great!

I'm sure the folk of Princetown have mixed views on snow. Always good to see and great for the kids but they do get inundated from townsfolk who come up and generally trash the place by jumping (demolishing )over walls sledging through farmland carving up the pasture and blocking the roads with some crazy parking. Mind you this year things might be different as the main road up to princetown from plymouth is now closed for 3 weeks for works.Thankfully I'm just a 5 minute walk from the perceived snow line so all fingers crossed here!

Edited by festivalking
  • Like 1

Posted

Now I know this is not the MO thread but this chart is a good chart and one we should all get some snow from. Sadly its over a week away but with NK on his hols you never know!

gfs-0-234.png?6

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
34 minutes ago, warmintim said:

So the 06 run from the GFS has the precipitation missing us to the South (over the channel), in contrast to the suggested track on the BBC this morning. In time honoured fashion both 'more runs needed' and 'now-casting' come into play... It's a real knife edge - too far north and the cold air may be kept back, too far south and it'll be cold enough but dry...

Appears to still bring snow to most of Cornwall, south Devon and Dorset. 

1 minute ago, festivalking said:

Now I know this is not the MO thread but this chart is a good chart and one we should all get some snow from. Sadly its over a week away but with NK on his hols you never know!

gfs-0-234.png?6

Wow that would be amazing! 

Posted
Just now, karlos1983 said:

Wow that would be amazing! 

Uppers at -8 as well. We all know it won't be there come 4.30 tonight though!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

Yep - a touch of Imby about my last post - I won't apologise, I suspect we are all to some extent keeping tabs on our own areas...

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, warmintim said:

Yep - a touch of Imby about my last post - I won't apologise, I suspect we are all to some extent keeping tabs on our own areas...

No I don't blame you, it could be snow civil war come Friday morning. :spiteful:

i remember when then entire south coast was under an amber maybe even red warning for snow, and most places got pounded with snow, Dorset..... dry as a flipping bone. ''Twas a painful day. 

No doubt I will end up cold and wet anyway as it's still days away lol

I hope we all benefit ultimately 

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

No I don't blame you, it could be snow civil war come Friday morning. :spiteful:

i remember when then entire south coast was under an amber maybe even red warning for snow, and most places got pounded with snow, Dorset..... dry as a flipping bone. ''Twas a painful day. 

I still have that picture from space, showing how the country was covered apart from Poole & PLymouth..Not this time please, my grandkids would love to see something that we talk about..

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Reminds of 2013 when Devon and Cornwall were on near lock down for a red alert snow storm, for it to only go to the channel islands who got a foot of snow...and in March! :wallbash:

Thankfully I've got through therapy now....

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

I still have that picture from space, showing how the country was covered apart from Poole & PLymouth..Not this time please, my grandkids would love to see something that we talk about..

BURN IT....

yes @festivalking I remember, that was painful to watch. 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

There was one back in Jan 2010 where Warminster was in the red warning area, but in the end the system took it about 40 miles to the East and Reading go buried. I was bitter, but that was tempered somewhat as I was on crutches and wouldn't have been able to enjoy it to the full...

Fingers crossed for all!

• Like 1