Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sionzzz said:

According to the netweather radar I should of had a few heavy snow showers but I’ve had nothing more than hail and a flake or two of snow.

well here's the current nowcast from euro 4 and clearly many more showers actually on radar again

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Fr 08.12.2017 00 GMT

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, andymusic said:

well here's the current nowcast from euro 4 and clearly many more showers actually on radar again

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Fr 08.12.2017 00 GMT

Just wanted to reassure re south that we have not had anything much yet either and that the radar is quite misleading ? Hopefully some heavier PPN will follow later on this evening. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Sionzzz said:

Just wanted to reassure re south that we have not had anything much yet either and that the radar is quite misleading ? Hopefully some heavier PPN will follow later on this evening. 

euro 4 going for this by 6am - so pepping up through the night

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Fr 08.12.2017 06 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Fr 08.12.2017 12 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Fr 08.12.2017 18 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Sa 09.12.2017 00 GMT

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, andymusic said:

euro 4 going for this by 6am - so pepping up through the night

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Fr 08.12.2017 06 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Fr 08.12.2017 12 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Fr 08.12.2017 18 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Sa 09.12.2017 00 GMT

Dont like the look of that making me nervous this is bizarre re lack of shower activity  out West Wales in this kind of setup :/ 

Posted
1 minute ago, Cymro said:

Dont like the look of that making me nervous this is bizarre re lack of shower activity  out West Wales in this kind of setup :/ 

yes agreed it is a little bit odd - like a dry air sector in the flow - maybe that'll ease as the night goes on

Posted
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

yes agreed it is a little bit odd - like a dry air sector in the flow - maybe that'll ease as the night goes on

Them charts show a similar 2010 streamer lol - it can't repeat itself or can it?

Posted
Just now, Jayfromcardiff said:

Them charts show a similar 2010 streamer lol - it can't repeat itself or can it?

Hardly as most of West Wales was in on that too...this is odd, very odd! I don’t understand it! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Temperature is stuck at 5.2c here, need that colder air to dig in before any showers get here! 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

Quite the little streamer setting up over our parts, @andymusic!

seems to be dropping further and further south - let's see where this is going shall we

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

dry as a bone here!

Posted
10 minutes ago, andymusic said:

seems to be dropping further and further south - let's see where this is going shall we

Yes, let's. The shower activity is spreading south, even if said showers are not currently as intense as those a bit further north. I've also got my eye on what's spreading southeastwards across the Irish Republic. On that track it has South Wales in its sights.

In addition, the GEM sends Sunday's slider on a southern trajectory which puts most of Wales back in the firing line for snow. Marginal in coastal and some low lying areas though, no doubt.

image.thumb.png.31f36bbe4ee6d072e42ef31b5d179ca4.png

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
1 minute ago, Jackfrost said:

Yes, let's. The shower activity is spreading south, even if said showers are not currently as intense as those a bit further north.

In addition, the GEM sends Sunday's slider on a southern trajectory which puts most of Wales back in the firing line for snow. Marginal in coastal and some low lying areas though, no doubt.

image.thumb.png.31f36bbe4ee6d072e42ef31b5d179ca4.png

come on GEM lol - it's all up in the air for sunday - radar is improving with each update

Posted

giphy.thumb.gif.fa46dfa6117faa61fc6b46d3ac27e277.gif

Right everybody do the snow dance , lets make it snow

• Like 1

Posted

meto for tonight Brecon beacons

Snow showers may merge to give a longer spell of occasionally heavy snow through the early hours. Then a bright day with a mix of sunshine and snow showers. The showers may be heavy at times giving a risk of temporary blizzard conditions. Lying snow will drift in the strong winds.

meto having a little guess about sunday now beacons forecast again

A cloudy day with outbreaks of snow, heavy for a time during the morning, the snow turning to rain below about 750m for a time. Southwesterly gales or severe gales developing. Freezing level rising to around 900m then falling 750m later.

Posted

Temps still not great, even in sennybridge only showing 1.5C , but shower activity seems to be on the up

Posted
7 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Have you seen the latest BBC forecast? Constant snow from NW wales through mid and into SE. Throughout tomorrow.

I haven't, but I'll catch it in ten minutes on the BBC News channel.

Winters 14-15, 15-16 and 16-17 all featured very tame, shortlived northerlies around here which left a few centimetres of snow which only lay for a day or so (I'm guessing you got little-to-nothing down in Cardiff?) but, as we know, a more potent northerly can lead to memorable events: Dec. 17th 2010 being the most obvious, but also Mar. 1st 2006, Nov. 25th 2005 and Feb. 28th 2004. This has shades of, if not 2010, then definitely the following three.

The first flakes now falling here.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

I haven't, but I'll catch it in ten minutes on the BBC News channel.

Winters 14-15, 15-16 and 16-17 all featured very tame, shortlived northerlies around here which left a few centimetres of snow which only lay for a day or so (I'm guessing you got little-to-nothing down in Cardiff?) but, as we know, a more potent northerly can lead to memorable events: Dec. 17th 2010 being the most obvious, but also Mar. 1st 2006, Nov. 25th 2005 and Feb. 28th 2004. This has shades of, if not 2010, then definitely the following three. 

Last time I saw decent snow was 2010 lol so a long time ago. I even got the net weather extra radar as an omen as the last time I got it in 2010 well I don't need to mention how good that was!

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Last time I saw decent snow was 2010 lol so a long time ago. I even got the net weather extra radar as an omen as the last time I got it in 2010 well I don't need to mention how good that was!

Ahh, I have nothing but fond memories of the run up to Christmas 2010 with over a foot of snow on the ground. Same with 2009 as it happens, with a good 10 cm lying after the Bristol Channel streamer in the early hours of the 21st.

But wait, no decent snow since 2010 you say? What about January 2013 and that infamous red warning issued for Southeast Wales? It didn't turn out as phenomenally as we expected but we still got upwards of 20 cm, at least up here.

Edited by Jackfrost