Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Snowing on the Moelwyns in Snowdonia. Sleet at lower levels 

• Like 1

Posted

Hi all me Welshies ' Mad Thread is gone quiet , well quiet i meant there is more life in a Cemetery ' also with some post's saying winter is over .:yahoo:

Still have not left here to be honest ' been dam so cold for the last 3 weeks or so to tell the truth ' been some good frosts here and also ice with lots of lakes frozen for quite a time in places .

As for yesterday morning i seen my first splatter of Snow ' was only a sprinkle ' but it was white and looked quality on the frozen ground .

Now as for this evening was really cold and frosty with temp at -1.2 here ' Now its -3.6 and With Freezing fog ' i look upon the M4 south of me and i can Normaly see it all lit up ' not now though all orange sky and a total white out here with frost and also a lot of ice in places .

I reckon winter has not arrived yet ' more cold to come after this Atlantic blip that will last a couple of days or even more ..

AFK .

Posted
5 hours ago, A Frayed Knot said:

Hi all me Welshies ' Mad Thread is gone quiet , well quiet i meant there is more life in a Cemetery ' also with some post's saying winter is over .:yahoo:

Still have not left here to be honest ' been dam so cold for the last 3 weeks or so to tell the truth ' been some good frosts here and also ice with lots of lakes frozen for quite a time in places .

As for yesterday morning i seen my first splatter of Snow ' was only a sprinkle ' but it was white and looked quality on the frozen ground .

Now as for this evening was really cold and frosty with temp at -1.2 here ' Now its -3.6 and With Freezing fog ' i look upon the M4 south of me and i can Normaly see it all lit up ' not now though all orange sky and a total white out here with frost and also a lot of ice in places .

I reckon winter has not arrived yet ' more cold to come after this Atlantic blip that will last a couple of days or even more ..

AFK .

winter ain't over yet - feb march and april to come yet - can be snowiest months

• Like 1

Posted

Something I feel I should mention despite the unreliability of the BBC's five-day outlooks and despite the fact that the forecast isn't backed up by the model output:

There are quite a few hours (up to twelve) of light snow showing for much of South Wales Wednesday into Thursday.

Posted

Still a chance of snow grains/light snow overnight Wednesday into Thursday with growing potential for a more significant snow event next Monday-Tuesday, what with the unexpected model output this morning and the growing hints at a battleground scenario.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

So while everyone has eyes on the next potential cold spell, we still have the potential for some light snowfall here in Wales over the next 24 hours. Low dew points and surface temps will be drawn in from the continent along with a little instability to produce snow flurries particularly overnight and into Thursday morning. 

Im expecting nothing of significance but it will be nice to see. 

One thing that has really struck me this autumn and winter is just how dry and calm this period has been. I can't remember two seasons being so void of "weather" in my lifetime. 

A calm and generally warm blocked autumn leading into a coolish winter, again with blocked conditions prevailing. Yes we haven't had loads of snow but these two seasons have seen many frosts and two snow events for land over 200m. In fact the autumn of 2016 produced more frosts than the entire winter of 2015/16! 

Im fairly confident that before the end of March we will see a more notable snowfall across Wales as there are tentative signs that the strat warming will encourage HLB rather than the MLB we have seen for months. Model output has been "volatile" this year with many "close but no cigar" events. It will just be a matter of time before we strike it lucky. 

Lots to stay positive about in my opinion. 

Posted

Snowing fairly heavily here in chilly old Tred! Bit of a surprise! ❄️ 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

Really, well we do have a series of Operational runs going for cold or very cold options, but absolutely no support from their respective ENS runs. I know the building blocks are in place as we have seen many times before this winter and FA is the result as far as snow is concerned. Indeed let's hope the OPs are correct but I would not pin your hopes on this unless you live in continental Europe. Fingers crossed for something epic. :cold:

Posted
On 01/02/2017 at 12:09, EastAnglian said:

Really, well we do have a series of Operational runs going for cold or very cold options, but absolutely no support from their respective ENS runs. I know the building blocks are in place as we have seen many times before this winter and FA is the result as far as snow is concerned. Indeed let's hope the OPs are correct but I would not pin your hopes on this unless you live in continental Europe. Fingers crossed for something epic. :cold:

I know we discussed the stuborn HP to the east not moving anywere now its showing signs of moving west if this occurs ,come next thursdaythe 9th, we should ses some of this white stuff 12_189_preciptype.png?cb=654

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
On 01/02/2017 at 17:20, keithlucky said:

I know we discussed the stuborn HP to the east not moving anywere now its showing signs of moving west if this occurs ,come next thursdaythe 9th, we should ses some of this white stuff 12_189_preciptype.png?cb=654

Into Friday still showing some more white stuff 12_189_preciptype.png?cb=349Simply stunning chartC3mhrbqWAAAQfvE.jpg

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Crikey mikey, bit windy blowy here.  Mild too, outside... trusty slate house cooler  inside , fire on.

• Like 1

Posted
On 28/01/2017 at 20:41, A Frayed Knot said:

Well done to @andymusic Mrs getting through on the Voice tonight ' quality voice she has x

LIZA BAKER the artiste singer with original songs -

thanks for that - she is quite amazing ain't she - i love her anyway lol

and the beast from the east is on it's way

• Like 3

Posted

Heavy sleet in Tenby; some big white slushy flakes in it!!

C'mon!!

(It's all relative I guess...)

(And Congrats Mrs andymusic- good luck for the next rounds!)

Edited by benb

Posted

Actually more snow than rain now!!

Nearly proper snow!

Bet it's tumping it down inland...

• Like 1

Posted

3/2/17: The Great Blizzard of Tenby

• Like 3

Posted

LOL, what a nice surprise, first falling snow I've seen here for years, didn't settle of course. Bearing in mind I think the last settling snow we had here was in 2010 so I don't expect an awful lot, anything is a bonus. 

• Like 1