Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

I would imagine mainroutes ok,this morning at 5am the roads were sheet ice.but ok now. Not sure upto Brecon maybe someone closer can comment.

Posted

First time post this 'winter' lol. Hope everyone enjoyed the wintry precipitation if they had any... haven't see much in south Carms except a few flakes, some soft hail stuff and a lot of sleet. Untreated roads around here this morning were like an ice rink, pretty deceptive to those who weren't expecting it to be icy - seen a couple of accidents. 

Judging by the silence in here today the models ain't showing much promising!? Agh well, may we snow lovers have a nice surprise before winters out? Hopefully

Posted

Well that was  short lived, thought people were saying this was the taster and watch out for next week ??

Posted
13 hours ago, chubbystuff said:

Well that was  short lived, thought people were saying this was the taster and watch out for next week ??

models looked like they were firming up on something epic - they've backed off a tad but the cold is still there - so this ain't over yet - by the way folks reason i haven't been posting is net weather have had some issues it seems with their forum and twice now it's technically kicked me out from posting - i've contacted the powers that be here and eventually they fix it - so if ya wondering where i am - i am here but it seems i have a gremlin on my ability to post sometimes - not just ignoring you lot lol

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, andymusic said:

models looked like they were firming up on something epic - they've backed off a tad but the cold is still there - so this ain't over yet - by the way folks reason i haven't been posting is net weather have had some issues it seems with their forum and twice now it's technically kicked me out from posting - i've contacted the powers that be here and eventually they fix it - so if ya wondering where i am - i am here but it seems i have a gremlin on my ability to post sometimes - not just ignoring you lot lol

Thanks Andy wasn't quite sure if I had imagined reading it lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

What a change, it snowed quite hard on Friday night and covered the ground to a depth of about 3-4cm. In the morning the snow had all melted and the air tempertaure was 3 degrees. This morning we are 8 degrees! :angry:

Oh well byby winter for now but not for too long lets hope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Funnily, cardiff's best chance of seeing snowfall in some shape of form may actually come this weekend.

Looks like some snow grain/v light snow may develop on Saturday around South Wales. Basically drizzle but the air will be cold enough then for this to fall as snizzle (snow). Nothing exciting but better than rain :)

• Like 1

Posted

I'm seriously starting to wonder if we'll ever see proper snow again.

Okay, that was a little overly-dramatic of me, but we're now well into our fourth (!!!) winter without a heavy, notable fall of snow which is unheard of in the Valleys. During the whole 00s decade, not known for its harsh winters, the only winters without at least one notable fall in these parts were (IIRC) 01-02 and 07-08. All other winters saw falls of at least 3-4" which hung around for a few days and caused some disruption and more than one of those winters saw more than one notable fall. It would be easy to blame climate change (and climate change is a real, ongoing phenomenon), but the fact heavy snow has fallen widely elsewhere in Europe and the Middle East suggests that it's pure bad luck on our part.

I'm sure it'll snow again - it has to - but if it wasn't for my pictures I'd have forgotten what snow looks like here in Nelson; I've already all but forgotten what it feels like. Sad stuff. :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

Not often I'd give up on winter this early but everything has gone against us this year when things have been favourable for us as in no Atlantic steam train. I think with the amount of time the Atlantic has been held off once it gets back in it will b near impossible to move and the wind and rain fest will last for ages

Posted

The snow in Italy has been terrible,just watching the news, avalanche hit a hotel possibly 30 people missing. I don't want anything like that. We have had snow up here twice being on mountain but low areas had nothing. like that most years. I think last time low areas had snow was 4 yes yesterday.and cannot recall snow lying for yrs and yrs in low lying areas around here.

This island doesn't seem to get cold snowy winters any longer, or they very few and far between. That's how when we do get cold spells we cannot cope,and to be honest thats why I don't want a event like we had in 70,s and 80,s. We be stuck for weeks ha ha.

Still a good few weeks left mind.but nights are getting lighter.

Posted

Personally I don't think it's been a awful winter, at least we didn't get the storms like the winters before! I really don't think they have been able to predict this winter as it's been a tricky one mild then cold! Don't give up hope there's at least a good 6 weeks left! It's got a lot colder here on the foot of the beacons the last few days! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

Gona stick my neck out and say we will have snow towards the back end of next week with a trough disrupting similar to 2013. The models are starting to toy with the idea before climatology kicks in a bit latter on but they often do because of where we are. The block out east is not going anywhere trust me

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, Pembroke Dangler said:

Gona stick my neck out and say we will have snow towards the back end of next week with a trough disrupting similar to 2013. The models are starting to toy with the idea before climatology kicks in a bit latter on but they often do because of where we are. The block out east is not going anywhere trust me

I'm not very experienced with interpreting these models but I would have though that they are moving towards the Atlantic troughs being held out west of the UK next week. I think they are trending now toward the block holding on. That will inevitably trigger the "it's burning up Winter" and "we need a zonal reset" posts. But from my experience, a zonal reset lasts weeks not just a few days in general and that will burn up the remaining time. So I am always of the opinion - be careful what you wish for. :hi:

Posted
14 hours ago, Pembroke Dangler said:

Could well see a dusting in places over Wales Sunday night into monday morning ,I agree about blocking to the East ,we were forcasted a mild swest flow this week ,but we are seeing colder weather than that, 06_36_preciptype.png?cb=113

Posted
2 hours ago, keithlucky said:

Could well see a dusting in places over Wales Sunday night into monday morning ,I agree about blocking to the East ,we were forcasted a mild swest flow this week ,but we are seeing colder weather than that,

I have seen other model representation of that possibility one more extensive and one less so and a further one with just rain so you pay you money and takes your choice. I would discount the possibility, it will be a pleasant surprise if it happens. :D 

Posted
On 14/01/2017 at 19:02, chubbystuff said:

Weather models right now are out to lunch as far as winter weather is concerned - in fact yesterday's weather was glorious - I was out making a pop video in Pontypridd - lots of fun - almost like a summer's day - shamazing - and from what I can see on both GFS and ECM - there's nothing now gonna happen wintry until we get into Feb now - it seems this winter may very well go out with a wimper but like always we can only really see up to about 10 days in advance - so we still have all of Feb and March to go yet - we could still see the mother of all snow fall in Wales yet - we just gotta bide our time - keep the faith - bring the FY-YA - you have the PO-WA - here's a heads up - my other half Liza - as some of you know is a singer - will be on national TV soon on something - can't say anymore than that right now as it's contractual - but when it's due to be shown I'll let you all know folks

Andy out

• Like 1

Posted

Looking like the coldest day of the winter today as it stands currently,it`ll be the coldest winter day for a few year currently -0.3c with freezing fog and an easterly perfect.

Posted

we've had snow overnight here in ponty folks - only a tad - but a tad is better than nowt and it stuck to the ground and turned things and surfaces white

Posted
1 hour ago, andymusic said:

we've had snow overnight here in ponty folks - only a tad - but a tad is better than nowt and it stuck to the ground and turned things and surfaces white

same here. Although i think I heard something against the window so possibly more hail than snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

Yes we did in Cwmdare too, woke to snow at 4am. Then it turned to rain and drizzle. 

Posted
1 hour ago, JamesL said:

Yes we did in Cwmdare too, woke to snow at 4am. Then it turned to rain and drizzle. 

I actually drove home through it - was working - Liza was performing her Shirley Bassey & Whitney Houston tribute shows in Torquay last night - and we didn't finish till late - after a stop over on the way home on the services on the M5 we crossed over the severn bridge - (no snow before just rain in South West) - then as we come through into Wales - the precip magically changes into wintry precip, this would be say 3.30am - 4.00am - and then drove through the snow falling on and off, but not sticking to the road soft hail/snow right up to Pontypridd - where it then was sticking on the pavement surfaces and then up the Graigerhorn (LOL) right at the top and home - into Black Road the road was covered in snow - first chance to test our new Volvo XC70's ability with it's 4x4 ness lol - but there was only a smidgen of a cm on the ground lol - all kinda gone today - really gotta wonder if we will have the 3ft of old at all this year - we can only hope and pray and wait for it to happen - but there ya go - at least it was some wintry precip. Andy OUT

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Light bobbly snowing event happening :)

image.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, andymusic said:

we have had snow up here in Aberdare too. Thought I was seeing things first of all Andy 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Heavier snow event. :cold:

image.jpg

• Like 1