Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
5 minutes ago, ourson said:

MetO haven't extended the red warning but the forecast is showing heavy snow til later tomorrow than it was previously. Still plenty of snow to come, just a matter of where and how much!

i'd think the red warning will continue further into Friday possibly into Saturday morning

Posted

Hardly record breaking snow here in Llanelli but nice to see something in March... very patchy with a few inches here and there. Some 5 inch drifts but nothing crazy

At least my puppy loved it!

20180301_232353.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

i'd think the red warning will continue further into Friday possibly into Saturday morning

Looking at the radar I'd agree but they're leaving it late! Still not sure that tonight has been a proper RED event - mid/high amber in reality? We've got a good thick layer of soft powdery snow (I'd love to ski on it!) but it's not 1982 or 1979 by a very long shot. More to come methinks but how much and for who is the big question!

Posted

Great accumulations here- not on the levels of Cardiff though by the looks of things, and looking at the radar it's Cardiff and areas NW that look like taking a huge hit the next couple of hours. Newport looks like it's in line for something more modest for a time, at least until what's in the channel arrives. Bridgend I think will be in the firing line at some point soon- everything now seems to be moving in a NW direction.

Time for some sleep and see how it pans out! Good luck to you lot in Cardiff, you may not be getting out the door in the morning!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Waw Pembroke, Milford Haven and the west of Pembs taking a hammering according to the radar. More red echoes there than over Cardiff and SE Wales!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

Incredible! 

IMG_20180302_001548.jpg

IMG_20180302_001518.jpg

IMG_20180302_001539.jpg

IMG_20180302_001528.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day 10

First post here.  Report from Penarth, many 1m drifts no problem we will be looking at an average of 1’ snow depth with drifts of 5 - 6 ‘. What it’s like north of here, Pontypridd etc I can only imagine.

i can remember 1982, I was 8 and my dad woke me up and said look out of the window -it was all snow, 7’ drift against the house.  Those scenes and memories will be repeated tomorrow and Saturday.  

It it is absolutely chucking it down, tiny icy flakes.  Utterly spellbinding and beautiful when the light catches it\.

birds are being well fed, if I had the room I would take in humans without roofs.  I have distributed cash, food and cannabis across the city centre today and yesterday.

good luck everyone.

It just seems wrong that it hasn't settled on car and house roofs, Obviously happy to have seen so much snow today but have to admit I prefer the fluffy sticky kind rather than the powder we have today, surely the more of this that moves up from France the more warm air and greater the risk of transitioning to sleet and rain?

Posted
  • Location: Llandysul, Wales SA44 SA39 550 ft work 650 ft sleep 7.5 shrivelled sheep. Never mind the borax. Spatulas/spoons from just 7 quid, chopping boards from 18 quid, boxes from 45 quid or so for a OK one, bigger stuff costs more obviously
  • Location: Llandysul, Wales SA44 SA39 550 ft work 650 ft sleep 7.5 shrivelled sheep. Never mind the borax. Spatulas/spoons from just 7 quid, chopping boards from 18 quid, boxes from 45 quid or so for a OK one, bigger stuff costs more obviously

Preseli hills about to get dumped upon.  Some people there say why don't I work for the the MetOffice? Well, no problem, I'll come and weed the MetOffice garden I say, at £7 an hour (not in this weather obvs) and I can take a bloody big bag of weeds away for £5 (as long as it isn't Japanese Knotweed of course).

Posted
7 minutes ago, Phil Barkin said:

It just seems wrong that it hasn't settled on car and house roofs, Obviously happy to have seen so much snow today but have to admit I prefer the fluffy sticky kind rather than the powder we have today, surely the more of this that moves up from France the more warm air and greater the risk of transitioning to sleet and rain?

nope - here's the combination - reason for powdery alpine snow - major low uppers from the beast from east Siberian temps - Siberian air temps - wind chill from high winds and finally all the snow on the ground just drags the temps down further - making it even harder for the milder temps to get back in

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day 10
8 minutes ago, Phil Barkin said:

Why? Here in Penarth we have drifts of 1m+ already.  This snow is mesmerising.  Another 24hrs? Yes please 

Posted
50 minutes ago, ourson said:

Looking at the radar I'd agree but they're leaving it late! Still not sure that tonight has been a proper RED event - mid/high amber in reality? We've got a good thick layer of soft powdery snow (I'd love to ski on it!) but it's not 1982 or 1979 by a very long shot. More to come methinks but how much and for who is the big question!

we've had red conditions here - risk to life - definitely

Posted

Some photos from a late-night "stroll" around Nelson. Your eyes are not deceiving you, that really is snow beginning to drift over front windows. Many areas now covered in one or two feet, making it difficult to walk.

IMG_4641.jpg

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4648.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Can’t upload photos, but Tenby has taken an absolute battering... 2ft drifts in town centre... unheard of... great late walk around the snow clogged streets... once in a life time stuff.

Posted

Yay power back on, after 4 hours of freezing my nips off.

Despite being in a snowless bubble the entire evening, somehow we still have one foot drifts outside. :cc_confused:

Looks like some parts of Wales are buried :cold:

Posted

The reason that some people in parts of cardiff ' chepstow and even newport have seen heavy snow in there front garden or even back gardens are due to the wind ' there has been some great snowfall over the south east but some people are moaning as they dont know whu around the corner had more snow than me ' its called a blizzard ' i have a 3 foot drift in my front garden and about 7 inches in the back garden (reason) Drifting . Enjoy ' more to cum soon :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

Bright echoes on radar not for Preseli hills, instead West wasting into Irish sea ~~~~~

• Like 1

Posted

Worst snow ever in NW Wales. There's been yellow and green on the radar but hardly anything falling. Bonkers. Anyone know why ??

Posted
2 minutes ago, georgiedre said:

Worst snow ever in NW Wales. There's been yellow and green on the radar but hardly anything falling. Bonkers. Anyone know why ??

Yes . move to south east wales ' still snowing here and blizzard as well .

Posted

I think one of the big stories tomorrow will be the amount of snow in Pembrokeshire. The last time there was snow like this here was 40 odd years ago. Tenby has been pummelled and we never get snow here!! The out lying areas will have taken a pasting. 

And now it's raining! Hope it's the freezing variety!

Anyone know why pictures from my I-phone won't upload??

Posted
30 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

Some photos from a late-night "stroll" around Nelson. Your eyes are not deceiving you, that really is snow beginning to drift over front windows. Many areas now covered in one or two feet, making it difficult to walk.

IMG_4641.jpg

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4648.jpg

Is that dynevor terrace by any chance please ?

• Like 1

Posted

It could be the snow is drying up before it hits the ground because of the low dew points and wind.  God knows my underwear I washed this evening is already dry and fit to go.  I dried it in the living room and it's 19C 27%RH.

Posted
1 hour ago, swales said:

Waw Pembroke, Milford Haven and the west of Pembs taking a hammering according to the radar. More red echoes there than over Cardiff and SE Wales!!

Never seen the like out here... really it's almost laughable.