Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Bassaleg, west of Newport- 35M ASL
  • Location: Bassaleg, west of Newport- 35M ASL
    7 minutes ago, bartlett high said:

    Snizzle dying out now  Red warning my weeble!!

    I heard sleet is forecast for Porth? :p :D

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 9.9k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    Looking good for team wales today / this eve- Have fun !!

    Dyma rai o'm lluniau gaeafol (Dydd Mawrth - Wythnos diwethaf) Here are some of my wintry scenes from Tuesday, last week Lleoliad/ Location: Blaenau Clwyd 230masl  (Between Corwen and Rhuthun)

    Some photos from this morning up on the Rhigos between Hirwaun and Treherbert. Here we are around 480-500m asl  it was stunning with amazing views over the Brecon Beacons and beyond. The mountain

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: Blackburn - 180m asl
  • Location: Blackburn - 180m asl
    2 minutes ago, benb said:

    Heavy snow in Tenby. Really blowing in the strengthening wind...

    What’s the technical definition of a blizzard? Reckon we can’t be far off.

    US National Weather Service definition is 

    - wind in excess of 35mph

    - visibility below 1/4 of a mile

    - Large amounts of snow or blowing snow

    - Lasts in excess of 3 hours.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cwmbach, Aberdare, Mid Glamorgan
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms
  • Location: Cwmbach, Aberdare, Mid Glamorgan

    Well we had heavier snow this morning lol

    im actually wondering if the heavy stuff will actually reach S Wales. 

    Watching the reports in the Red warning area and it looks pretty pathetic. The two showers we had yesterday laid down a lot more snow than we have had today. 

    I was pretty upbeat about this BUT I just don't think the precip is going to make it here to the valleys intact 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Carmarthenshire
  • Location: Carmarthenshire
    3 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

    It's showing -3.3c on the outside and the snow is coming in horizontally.  I can see the birds still eating all the seeds and mealworms we put out earlier but they don't look happy.  Hope they can find some shelter later on.  We keep breaking the ice on the water bowls but it must be almost impossible for small birds and animals to find food and stay alive in these conditions. Even the sheep are huddled together under a tree looking very forlorn, but at least they've got woolly coats better than my duvet!  Wondering how long this snow wil carry on for, now.  If it goes on all night I'll not be going anywhere tomorrow.....

    They should find shelter in the hedgerows but sadly this will be the death of some of them. Keep putting out suitable food and breaking the ice on the water bowls, that's all that I've been doing and all that anyone can reasonably do.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Nantymoel (asl 268m)or 879ft
  • Location: Nantymoel (asl 268m)or 879ft

    Am I seeing this wrong?  This radar is looking like by about 10pm all snow past lots of south Wales? Not that bad so far and this radar isn't really showing much. I understand it could hold on us and strengthen but anyone think the met office may have over played this?

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Barry, South Wales (40M/131ft asl)
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!
  • Location: Barry, South Wales (40M/131ft asl)

    Anyone know why the heavier stuff doesn't seem to be making it across the Bristol Channel so far? It seems to die down before it gets to us?

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: porth (Welsh valleys)
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very cold.
  • Location: porth (Welsh valleys)
    1 minute ago, JamesL said:

    Well we had heavier snow this morning lol

    im actually wondering if the heavy stuff will actually reach S Wales. 

    Watching the reports in the Red warning area and it looks pretty pathetic. The two showers we had yesterday laid down a lot more snow than we have had today. 

    I was pretty upbeat about this BUT I just don't think the precip is going to make it here to the valleys intact 

    wouldn't be surprised if the red warning was dropped early evening.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Ynysybwl 200msl
  • Location: Ynysybwl 200msl

    It has said all  day that the heavy stuff starts in pontypridd at 5 so we will see if its right. 

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Powys Mid Wales borders.
  • Location: Powys Mid Wales borders.
    2 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

    US National Weather Service definition is 

    - wind in excess of 35mph

    - visibility below 1/4 of a mile

    - Large amounts of snow or blowing snow

    - Lasts in excess of 3 hours.

    visibility under 1 foot here earlier and yesterday.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Caerphilly
  • Location: Caerphilly

     

    1 minute ago, Buzz said:

    They should find shelter in the hedgerows but sadly this will be the death of some of them. Keep putting out suitable food and breaking the ice on the water bowls, that's all that I've been doing and all that anyone can reasonably do.

    Already found a chaffinch dead in the garden tried warming it but to late

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Tenby, Pembrokeshire, Wales 30m a.s.l.
  • Location: Tenby, Pembrokeshire, Wales 30m a.s.l.
    4 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

    US National Weather Service definition is 

    - wind in excess of 35mph

    - visibility below 1/4 of a mile

    - Large amounts of snow or blowing snow

    - Lasts in excess of 3 hours.

    Thanks!

    Not quite there yet, but certainly heading in the right direction.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Llanelli
  • Location: Llanelli
    Just now, Jayfromcardiff said:

    Chill guys, it's coming they said starting 5pm, looks on cue to me. Currently snowed in and pavements disappearing.

    Yes

     

    HIRLAM model showing the moderate to heavy stuff 6pm onwards 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cwmbach, Aberdare, Mid Glamorgan
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms
  • Location: Cwmbach, Aberdare, Mid Glamorgan

    Right now we should be under a yellow warning here in SE Wales. Nothing whatsoever severe about the weather today thus far. It doesn't even warrant an amber to be honest. 

    Expect the red warning to be removed from our area. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed - SE Wales
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Gales - active weather!!!
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed - SE Wales
    5 minutes ago, snowy36 said:

    It has said all  day that the heavy stuff starts in pontypridd at 5 so we will see if its right. 

    Looking at radar be longer than that.... if it goes far enough north be more like 7pm - I think it's struggling in it's northwards extent.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Ynysybwl 200msl
  • Location: Ynysybwl 200msl
    2 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

    Chill guys, it's coming they said starting 5pm, looks on cue to me. Currently snowed in and pavements disappearing.

    More pics Jay.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Penpedairheol - Rhymney Valley 200m asl
  • Location: Penpedairheol - Rhymney Valley 200m asl
    4 minutes ago, snowy36 said:

    It has said all  day that the heavy stuff starts in pontypridd at 5 so we will see if its right. 

    Yes ok  in fairness it does say getting worse around 6'ish for us and if anything the heavy snow looks progged for further into the early hours of tomorrow morning as well - can't see the farm in Gelligaer opposite  now either getting lots of sand at the moment with high winds - on another positive note its beer oclock and the outside bar while freezing the coke has just chilled to perfection the lager

    image.thumb.png.238af3147db69a9881f576ae9f62ed9d.png

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cwmbach, Aberdare, Mid Glamorgan
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms
  • Location: Cwmbach, Aberdare, Mid Glamorgan
    2 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

    Chill guys, it's coming they said starting 5pm, looks on cue to me. Currently snowed in and pavements disappearing.

    Your idea of snowed in isn't really my idea. ?

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Carmarthenshire
  • Location: Carmarthenshire

    To those of you saying that there's not much snow, etc - the main band isn't here yet and isn't due for a few hours. Be grateful that you've got a little extra as a taster. :)

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Caerphilly
  • Location: Caerphilly
    3 minutes ago, JamesL said:

    Right now we should be under a yellow warning here in SE Wales. Nothing whatsoever severe about the weather today thus far. It doesn't even warrant an amber to be honest. 

    Expect the red warning to be removed from our area. 

    Mate it's whiteout here heaviest I've seen in my lifetime.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed - SE Wales
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Gales - active weather!!!
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed - SE Wales
    1 minute ago, Stevetynant said:

    Yes ok  in fairness it does say getting worse around 6'ish for us and if anything the heavy snow looks progged for further into the early hours of tomorrow morning as well - can't see the farm in Gelligaer opposite  now either getting lots of sand at the moment with high winds - on another positive note its beer oclock and the outside bar while freezing the coke has just chilled to perfection the lager

    image.thumb.png.238af3147db69a9881f576ae9f62ed9d.png

    Hows the 'driftometer' Steve?

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Penpedairheol - Rhymney Valley 200m asl
  • Location: Penpedairheol - Rhymney Valley 200m asl

    I don't think anyone said there's no snow and to be fair to the MO I think red may well be justified if you got caught out in that wind and snow fine as it is you would be in trouble pretty quickly

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cwmbach, Aberdare, Mid Glamorgan
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms
  • Location: Cwmbach, Aberdare, Mid Glamorgan
    Just now, Buzz said:

    To those of you saying that there's not much snow, etc - the main band isn't here yet and isn't due for a few hours. Be grateful that you've got a little extra as a taster. :)

    We shall see. If it comes as forecast I will admit I was totally wrong. And just for the record I more than anyone want a blizzard, just trying to offer a tad of realism to proceedings. ?

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest
    This topic is now closed to further replies.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...