Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

I'm hoping that I've got a decent chance of snowfall tomorrow night and Friday.  In NW Wales as I'm 8 miles from the sea to the north although if the wind travels over Anglesey then there's 20-25 miles of land before hitting here.  Hope so 

Posted

I know not to take any one hourly forecast from the BBC as gospel as they do change by the hour but the current forecast (for Nelson) is one I'm fairly content with, whereas if I lived in Capel-y-ffin I'd be a very happy camper right now. Lovely scenery and history up there, too.

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 00.27.18.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 00.30.35.png

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted

latest euro 4 looking a little less encouraging for today but tonight might be very interesting

17011212_1200.gif

17011218_1200.gif

17011300_1200.gif

17011306_1200.gif

finishes with a weird looking thing for friday afternoon for now

17011318_1200.gif

Posted

and the amazing "dry" easterly is still sitting there waiting for us for next week and onwards - thing is it gets the cold deeply embedded ya see - and once the cold air is deeply embedded it's a bugger to shift - and then a nice front comes across from the west or up from the south south west - and bumps into this shiftless cold ice day cold - and BINGO - blizzard dumping city on Wales - and that's the way it always happens round these parts - and always will lol

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I may just be in the wrong place for any prolonged snowfall from this however may see a flake or two which would be nice after the initial cold rain! Forecast still have temps of 5-7c by day for the next week for me though so not sure we would see much snow outside of nighttime hours? 

Posted

As per the Netweather radar, the precipitation currently across Wales from the Heads of the Valleys northwards is already falling as sleet. A good sign surely? I realise that temperatures will rise somewhat as the main system arrives before falling back again, but at least we know that the cold air is pretty much here.

In order to get the most out of this, what we really need is for the arrival of the system's core to coincide with the arrival of the coldest air. It probably won't happen (it's not in the forecast) but it might, and that's something to keep an eye open for. Also, as Andy says, tonight looks potentially more interesting than today for many of us.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, bradythemole said:

Looking forward to Euro4 18z but I'm confident of seeing falling snow in Cardiff tomorrow at least. I imagine the last half hour/hour of the rain band will turn to snow to quite low levels even here. Some more rural parts of Wales, particularly Brecon/Merthyr etc could have quite a few hours of snowfall.

It will all come down to the strength/depth of the low, as that will determine how much cold air it will drag into circulation. Quicker the cold air moves down from north west, more chance of it turning to snow.

Some very heavy rain to come in the morning anyway, a period of precip moving south eastwards later on Thursday evening/early Friday morning too that needs watching. Looks like passing through Carmarthenshire, Swansea down into SW England. 

Lets get this mild sector with possible back edge snow through as ,and let the fun begin, ,later  today showers start moving in as  showers start to build up from the N West anywere across Wales could get quite a few cms with showers and streamers poping up over Wales, Radars at the ready

Posted
3 minutes ago, DeepSnow said:

I may just be in the wrong place for any prolonged snowfall from this however may see a flake or two which would be nice after the initial cold rain! Forecast still have temps of 5-7c by day for the next week for me though so not sure we would see much snow outside of nighttime hours? 

Temps you have just quoted are not what is showing on the overnight GFS 00z for towards the end of next week as the easterly starts setting up shop - then we just won't or rarely will get above freezing day or night

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

If you guys look at the ECM at 24 over the UK you will see quite a kink in the flow over wales 00z Fri

should support snow shower potential !

hello stevie babes - welcome to our sheepy world mate - nothing like a "kink in the flow" to give Wales some SNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

• Like 3

Posted
24 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Yep for once the weathers more attractive than the sheep!

you want to try it sometime unlike the m25 where it's a car park - we just got sheep parks here in Wales - i'm surrounded by sheep/cows/horses - top of the mountain above where tom jones the voice was born and brought up in Laura Street, Pontypridd

Posted

Well today's the day! Let's see what the weather gods are going to give us! Good luck everybody!

what time is the temps suppose to drop?

• Like 1

Posted

Currently 3 degrees here and its definetly light sleet and not rain which is earlier/colder than forecast already...cold air kicking in quicker perhaps? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Heavy Rain in Haverfordwest at the mo

Posted

ok up in the GODS here - it's currently spitting with a likle light.............................................................................................................................................................................................:cold::cold::cold::cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Mum reporting NO SNOW 215m above sea level in North West Wales. But currently 1.8C there with heavy rain. Light rain just started here in Cardiff. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
3 minutes ago, andymusic said:

RAIN lol

Shouldn't be for too long for you mate

Posted

here's one I made earlier - as they used to say on Blue Peter back in the day - from 2010 probably

snowy pic i took black road, ponty.jpg

I really gotta send this one in to the countryfile calender competition - I think it would win hands down - what d'ya reckon?

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1