Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Yellow Warning of Wind and Snow for Wales : Ceredigion, Monmouthshire, Powys, Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Merthyr Tydfil, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Swansea, Torfaen, Vale of Glamorgan & Pembrokeshire valid from 1200 Thu 01 Mar to 2355 Thu 01 Mar
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

andy the 1st march is missing from those previous precipitation charts

Posted
Just now, benytezz said:

andy the 1st march is missing from those previous precipitation charts

sorry there's just so much stuff - we are gonna be obliterated by the snow this week - wales will come to a grinding halt

• Like 1

Posted

i agree. thing is there are so many as well who don't know what could happen. i am preparing now. even getting in an extra gas bottle today for if the electric goes down, which I am thinking is a distinct possibility here, so we can keep warm using our portable fire i bought a few years back for just this very scenario. lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters

As well as vital public information about health risks in cold weather, there also needs to be some strong communication about preparedness when travelling... Even just getting to work at times next week could become dangerous very quickly. Things to have in your car: Blankets, water, a snow shovel, and bag of rock salt or gravel. Charge your phone before travelling, check your tyres - tread and pressures, oil levels etc. It's important stuff!

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Selliso said:

As well as vital public information about health risks in cold weather, there also needs to be some strong communication about preparedness when travelling... Even just getting to work at times next week could become dangerous very quickly. Things to have in your car: Blankets, water, a snow shovel, and bag of rock salt or gravel. Charge your phone before travelling, check your tyres - tread and pressures, oil levels etc. It's important stuff!

just don't go out unless in an emergency - and i'm looking into a gas portable heater right now

Edited by andymusic

Posted

do NOT go out in this weather. it is deadly. seriously. from Thursday on, hunker down. i do think the gov should be actively warning people to stay home when this really gets going, instead of allowing people to go about their daily business, only to get trapped and require rescuing

these events are outliers, but we should adopt the same tactics used by countries who are used to these conditions. we should just accept that a couple/few days are gonna be lost here to the incredibly bad conditions that seem increasingly likely to occur now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters

March 2013, a case in point...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-21910079

Meanwhile, in Finland...

finland.JPG

Posted
1 hour ago, Jackfrost said:

So, given that some serious weather looks like commencing come Thursday, would anybody be brave/foolish enough to single out where they think the sweet spots could be, based on current evidence? Don't hunt me down if this map isn't entirely accurate or if the model output changes, but I'll go with locations inside the red line seeing significant snow with places outside of it (Swansea, for example) also potentially seeing some. The southern half of the RoI is also included, and if there weren't so many doubts about less cold air filtering into the far south I'd also include inland Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset.

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 12.05.40.jpg

so north of the M4 then..... lol

Posted

I have to admit to being ever so excited. I remember the 1978 (I believe) blizzards in Hanham where I grew up, I was 10 years old and it was so utterly amazing amd magical. Thats where I got my love of snow from. We had to get neighbours digging each other out of their doors  it was incredible and no matter if it was not as bad this time (not that I expect anywhere near that) but too have a little reminder of the power of nature would be amazing. 

Posted

Yesterday morning I was thinking it was going to be a seriously memorable event - perhaps 78/81 ...

I thought - “ok so I’m west wales , that’s fine , I accept I may see minimal snow initially but with that I accept that this could mean a huge blizzard at the end of the week “ .

Howver I now think this could be a ok spell .

For me that means seeing a layer of snow just deep enough to make a snowman for my daughter and thar said layer doesn’t thaw out within one day .

But just once I wanted to have that blizzard dream turn into reality .

Im talking howling winds , a foot of snow minimum ( that’s not too greedy it really isn’t ) and drifts all over the place , then a period of relative calm - a minimum one day to walk outside and enjoy it .

After that it can be washed away .

Yet that distant faint sound of a crows call ( ever present downgrade possibility ) has turned into a circle of stinking vultures about the rip the carcass of the dream to shreds .

At times like these I put my fingers in my ears and read Andy’s posts with one eye partially open ....

Andy !!

Save our blizzard- - I want no further downgrades .

• Like 2

Posted

got two probs I need to sort now - portable gas heater and portable gas cooker with gas bottles - would look into a generator but have no idea how to hook it up to the house supply - so i'll look into that too as if the power goes off and for a long time obviously all our food will perish unless we stick it outside in the freezer lol - but this no joke - emergency plans into action now

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

got two probs I need to sort now - portable gas heater and portable gas cooker with gas bottles - would look into a generator but have no idea how to hook it up to the house supply - so i'll look into that too as if the power goes off and for a long time obviously all our food will perish unless we stick it outside in the freezer lol - but this no joke - emergency plans into action now

Red warning out soon?

• Like 1

Posted

we got a portable cooker and fire and am getting more gas right now, along with candles, long life milk and cereals. lmao.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

I've ordered the dog a warm coat for walkies, just hoping it arrives quick enough.

Posted
1 minute ago, benytezz said:

we got a portable cooker and fire and am getting more gas right now, along with candles, long life milk and cereals. lmao.

thanks for highlighting this - just didn't consider this at all - DOH!

Posted
9 minutes ago, andymusic said:

Andy Andy Andy !

Go Andy , go Andy !

Though what about a submersible pump for next Saturdays flood?

Ah , with no power though could be tricky.

Drainage ducting - dig some good drainage ducting quickly !!

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Stevetynant said:

If this doesn’t come off now I’m going to be seriously hacked off.

I promise you will not be alone! :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I think from Swansea eastwards should be fine as things stand for this being an all snow event, its only the far SW of wales I would have any concerns about it potentially turning to a wintery mix if the low comes north as currently modelled. I think we are fortunate to be just far enough north to remain on the colder side of things for this event, for now. All depends how things change over the next few days with north/south shift in model output of the low for the end of the week.

Between now and then we should hopefully have a spell of snow on Tuesday and some nice snow showers making it across to us Tuesday/Wednesday which will hopefully give some of us a covering. Despite being in work and having to travel from Bridgend to Barry/Cardiff in this every day (unless I get stuck, who knows? ha) it will be an exciting week and one I look to enjoy even if it does end short come the weekend! 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Stevetynant said:

If this doesn’t come off now I’m going to be seriously hacked off.

Referring to the big steak meal as Andy put it :-

As it stands it’s looking very marginal and very familiar regarding the usual areas to get pasted .

If you have elevation I think you have more chance as ever .

Even then it’s likely to be washed away Saturday for lowlanders anyway.

No more room for any further downgrade - my hope and it’s only that is that after a run of downgrades we may get some minor upgrades that just do enough —- still a long way off to blizzard Thursday night Friday day though.

If I see sleet on Friday I think I may actually cry .

But not for long as this will turn into absolute rage with a very localised red warning storm forecast for my exact locale with temperatures in excess of 100 degrees Celsius .

Posted

2-10cm Tuesday for starters followed by the main of probably 15cm+ of snow Thursday! I think by the end of Friday it'll be the most snow I've ever seen.

The east may see up to 20cm but who cares when we'll be experiencing a blizzard!

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Seasonal weather required said:

Do we all meet up with our pitch forks and burning stakes and march to Andy’s if this fails ?

Definitely! We'll take wheelbarrows and steal whatever snow he's accumulated!

Edited by Clair_Witch
  • Like 2