Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Well considering it’s still days away from any snowfall our regional thread is starting to tick over nicely .

Hopefully we can all join in and share our radar images / snow snaps during the next week whilst being able to have a bit of fun at the same time.

I remember a lot of good natured humour in here years ago but also quite a few killjoys who only seemed to like posts like :-

Dry , temp 1.6 degrees , DP falling .

Or

Wet , temp 3.4 degrees , rain .

etc etc etc .

Heres to the Red warnings and maybe a cheeky Black one .

Oh and in case anyone thinks I have no regard for the vulnerable by saying “ bring on the red warnings “ please remember this is a weather enthusiasts forum - not the NHS .

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I'm working most this week in Barry/Cardiff be a shame if it snowed and I had to ring in to say I couldn't get to work from Tuesday onwards :wink: Still looking very interesting for us, even if the low was to come in and go further north than expected end of the week, we may be just far enough north to remain away from any marginality. Fingers crossed at least.

Its a balmy 7C here right now though, don't think we will be seeing those again after today for a while! 

Posted
Just now, PompeyFC said:

Looked at gefs ensembles for Rhondda. I reckon we would be on the right side currently even with that low further north

Any idea what it's looking like for Pentwyn, North Cardiff? It's usually 1/2c colder here than the city centre. Cheers

Posted
1 hour ago, Seasonal weather required said:

Well considering it’s still days away from any snowfall our regional thread is starting to tick over nicely .

Hopefully we can all join in and share our radar images / snow snaps during the next week whilst being able to have a bit of fun at the same time.

I remember a lot of good natured humour in here years ago but also quite a few killjoys who only seemed to like posts like :-

Or

etc etc etc .

Oh and in case anyone thinks I have no regard for the vulnerable by saying “ bring on the red warnings “ please remember this is a weather enthusiasts forum - not the NHS .

The NHS need all the help they can get poor buggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

Weather warnings in place nice and early. Net weather giving a 95% chance of a heavy snow event Friday, met office offering an 80% chance.

It's like all my Christmases have come at once! :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

All the signs so far are that any snow that falls in Wales at the end of the week will stay as snow as we stay safely within the cold air, and that's if mild air even reaches Southern England. Looking good!

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

what is the consensus here on disruption?

been following this from afar, sceptical anything would happen. I well remember all the previous certs that ended in drizzle events.

just thought I'd pop back in to see the excitement build. how are we looking BEFORE the predicted big event end of the week? any disruption? then how long will it block all of the roads and side roads after the big event?

Posted

Derek has now mentioned the 1982 event in relation to the end of the coming week several times. It's very rare that he mentions snow potential so far in advance; he really isn't a ramper at all.

I think "tantalising" is the correct word to use here!

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

We r all in the same boat as u m8 none of us know wot is going to happen and how the roads etc r going to b affected nd that includes the council's and weather forecasters

Posted

Gorgeous day here today, just been out with the dogs and it's lush.

My current thinking is showers reaching us during the week heaviest and more frequent to the East, but some should make it out west in the strong east breeze.  Disturbances should be in the flow bringing snow to most of us at times.  As for the end of the week, at the moment widespread heavy frontal snow to all levels but with the cold being so deep i am preparing myself for the possibility that it won't come as far north as models show at the mo and go into France although that would mean we stay cold with further chances later on.

Booked half day annual leave on Friday to enjoy the snow.  I work in the NHS so be interesting if we are told anything beginning of next week.  Got plenty of bird food and fat balls, shall get my supplies in this week.  All the best everyone.

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, freeze for all said:

We r all in the same boat as u m8 none of us know wot is going to happen and how the roads etc r going to b affected nd that includes the council's and weather forecasters

I remember 82, and if it is ANYWHERE near that, when it gets going, just stay indoors! seriously! Roads will be impassable for ages.

This set up is reminding me of it, and weirdly that started on  a Thursday too. Still a while away, I know, and loads could change

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, CRACKPOT said:

Hey, there is no need to have a pop. I'm posting a relevant observation - and you know it's not just the GFS that's doing this. There are a few possibilities appearing in some of the runs of a quick breakdown.

I'll leave it alone for now then. It's obviously not as friendly as I thought - that's why I rarely post.

JK

:fool:

Posted

I hope you folk get a good dumping of snow next week to make up for the thrashing your rugby team are getting in Dublin :D

Will be keeping an eye on this forum next week to see what’s coming our way in Ireland.....good luck guys

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

I hope you folk get a good dumping of snow next week to make up for the thrashing your rugby team are getting in Dublin :D

Will be keeping an eye on this forum next week to see what’s coming our way in Ireland.....good luck guys

Not over yet ' still 10 minutes .

• Like 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, benytezz said:

I remember 82, and if it is ANYWHERE near that, when it gets going, just stay indoors! seriously! Roads will be impassable for ages.

This set up is reminding me of it, and weirdly that started on  a Thursday too. Still a while away, I know, and loads could change

Hey all, I'm emerging from the depths of lurkerland as I'm so hyped at the prospects for the coming week or so.. excited much!

benytezz, I remember 82 very well,  I had a Saturday job in the local shop at the time and remember disappearing in a drift up to my waist when I left my house to try and make it to work.. amazing times and wonderful memories!

Really hoping this coming spell may equal 82.. :cold: 

Love this little corner of Wales on Netweather :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground
12 minutes ago, A Frayed Knot said:

Not over yet ' still 10 minutes .

It's over ??

Posted
3 minutes ago, lynnross said:

Hey all, I'm emerging from the depths of lurkerland as I'm so hyped at the prospects for the coming week or so.. excited much!

benytezz, I remember 82 very well,  I had a Saturday job in the local shop at the time and remember disappearing in a drift up to my waist when I left my house to try and make it to work.. amazing times and wonderful memories!

Really hoping this coming spell may equal 82.. :cold: 

Love this little corner of Wales on Netweather :)

yeah. it is weird how this set up is similar. what I remember MOST about it, and the 78 event too if i remember right, was the forecasters saying 'nothing to worry about'. I have memories of the incessant wind  for days before it, and it getting more and more cloudy, then it starting slowly, and building and building in intensity, and how beautiful it looked, as it was falling, forming those beautiful drifting swirls on the floor, that it was impossible not to be hypnotised by

large clear areas, and then, a bit further down the road, a huge drift, blocking everything. Being able to climb out of my bedroom window and walk down to the garden on a drift. having to queue for bread. one loaf each. having to walk to the farm for raw milk. supplies having to be helicoptered in to Maesteg. lol

Being the smallest in the house, having to be pushed up into the attic to shovel out what felt like tons of snow that had gotten in there. the stuff gets EVERYWHERE, so watch your attics everyone. last thing you want is it all melting and ruining your ceilings. When it gets going, check them.

Both 78 and 82 started on a  Thursday, and ENDED on a Sunday too, if I remember correctly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

someone was asking about roads in stuff for the blizzard - 3 - 5ft plus - and drifting - do you want me to paint you a picture? lol - hunker down - DO NOT GO OUTSIDE - you'll struggle to get your door open - make sure you got your snow shovels handy to try and keep your paths clear - anyway while the rugby was on (not a big fan) don't have a go - love the winter lympics though - been out and got all the stocks in for the next two weeks plus - this could be a very elongated problem - and I don't want to have to start chewing on the mrs foot lol

we need this guy on BBC WALES right now - DEREK ain't helping with hiding this problem

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Do forecast charts have a good handle on what intense cold like this actually DOES when it hits the UK?

could they actually underplay what it may do, seeing as we get it so infrequently?

Posted
5 hours ago, Seasonal weather required said:

Or

etc etc etc .

To be fair mate and I'm not one of them not everyone likes cold and snow. Some people's working life relies on weather not being bad. My dad's one if them hes a roofer. 

I want to see a foot of snow though lol

Posted

With Derek usually a bit happier when it's on the mild side, given he's already ramping- I think we may be in for a special week. Just wish I didn't have a boss who will go out in his Range Rover to make sure people get in to work! :rofl: