Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
beerandkebab

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, andymusic said:

mid wales still getting snowy showers right now which appear to be building up - this spell isn't over yet and the models won't have tied down what's gonna happen at the weekend just yet until tonight's low moves through

I admire your enthusiasm mate but this spell didn't even start so it's already over and just wind and rain with maybe wintry showers with elevation and snow on the highest peaks over the next few days 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, andymusic said:

mid wales still getting snowy showers right now which appear to be building up - this spell isn't over yet and the models won't have tied down what's gonna happen at the weekend just yet until tonight's low moves through

North west Wales dry windy and cloudy. Showers yesterday and last night soft hail gave a covering but did not freeze overnight so mostly gone now. :oops:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dry as bone here this morning in Pembroke. 

The lowest we got to seems to be 3.5c at some point overnight, was 5c at 7am and now 6.1c

I've taken advantage of the wind and sunny spells and got a line full of towels blowing nicely this morning:) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well for one thing - this weather has cleared the misty murky dank depressive nothingness we had last week away - onto better/worse/sunnier/snowier weather ahead of us - sorry more of you didn't get snow - just one of those things, it'll still be flippin freezing though this week right up to sunday at the very least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andymusic said:

70mph - we never call them hurricanes in this country but that's hurricane strength

maybe we'd all be happier moving here lol

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/thermometer-in-world’s-coldest-village-breaks-as-temperatures-plunge-to-62c/ar-AAuM9Hu?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

A category 1 hurricane has to have sustained wind speed of over 74 mph, I think a category 5 would be sustained wind speeds of 156 mph. Might be wrong but I don't think gusts of 70 mph count  :sorry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, EastAnglian said:

A category 1 hurricane has to have sustained wind speed of over 74 mph, I think a category 5 would be sustained wind speeds of 156 mph. Might be wrong but I don't think gusts of 70 mph count  :sorry:

ok this may not have that capacity as meto go with winds reaching max gusts 70mph - but we do have sustained wind storms into the low cat 1 at times in the UK but as they aren't tropical they aren't called "hurricanes"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

after this "cold spell" then maybe we will have to have a little patience before the next one hits - possibly Feb can deliver the goods to more of you offering still reasonably short daylight, but potentially colder temps, and maybe a northerly/easterly, who knows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday was cold with 2.9c max.

Well mixed fortunes from this westerly got a slight covering and it had drifted overnight on a couple of fields I see.

I didn`t witness any drifting today though even though there was a decent snow shower,it was just too damp or wet to blow on the ground this morning.

Still got Friday yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the WFR the strongest wind gusts in west Wales will be between 11.00pm and 2.00am tonight:

image.thumb.png.428541be3f8cf272cd1b548fe7f01d72.png   image.thumb.png.9c9a231659b90eb8e5aeb07dd818db1d.png.

image.thumb.png.dda2d80d61714910d3be8ef181660fd6.png   image.thumb.png.a6265d1434ea54723c80c6a6f33ef1ea.png

image.thumb.png.c79f7217207e66e744fd6e4dbb67ed74.png

Pembrokeshire and the south coast in the firing line there - gusts could easily reach 70mph or even 80mph on higher ground.  May not get much sleep tonight :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

According to the WFR the strongest wind gusts in west Wales will be between 11.00pm and 2.00am tonight:

image.thumb.png.428541be3f8cf272cd1b548fe7f01d72.png   image.thumb.png.9c9a231659b90eb8e5aeb07dd818db1d.png.

image.thumb.png.dda2d80d61714910d3be8ef181660fd6.png   image.thumb.png.a6265d1434ea54723c80c6a6f33ef1ea.png

image.thumb.png.c79f7217207e66e744fd6e4dbb67ed74.png

Pembrokeshire and the south coast in the firing line there - gusts could easily reach 70mph or even 80mph on higher ground.  May not get much sleep tonight :(

oh dear - storm really has dropped south since the weekend - stay safe and out of the wind - those tree branches can be bugggers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Yellow Warning of Wind for Wales : Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Isle of Anglesey, Powys, Wrexham, Carmarthenshire, Monmouthshire, Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Merthyr Tydfil, Neath Port Talbot, Pembrokeshire, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Swansea, Torfaen, Cardiff, Newport & Vale of Glamorgan valid from 0005 Thu 18 Jan to 0900 Thu 18 Jan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marcus_surfer said:

Meh

Meh meh blydli meh meh proper snow in Wales is becoming rarer! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cymro said:

Meh meh blydli meh meh proper snow in Wales is becoming rarer! 

rarer than hen's teeth lol - na we are having a better winter than normal - and I don't think it's over just yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, andymusic said:

rarer than hen's teeth lol - na we are having a better winter than normal - and I don't think it's over just yet

Nor me Andy , people writing off winter and there's a good few weeks left yet !

There's still potential , patience is needed !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where is the strong winds we are suppose to be having (all though i don't want them ) it's bloody tipping down though ' Typical :angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

flipping blowing a gale here - mumbles has 62mph - and west wales up to 66mph - beginning to sound like we got a jet engine outside now - and 70mh gusts are registering over Ireland - so will be picking up what's left of the garden later tomorrow lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, A Frayed Knot said:

Where is the strong winds we are suppose to be having (all though i don't want them ) it's bloody tipping down though ' Typical :angry:

if the low had come south far enough we'd be in a blizzard right now - oh well there ya go lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening all :D

Here in West Wales Pembroke, currently the 'fiercest' gust we've had in the last hour has registered at 52mph so far and we are currently gusting at 42mph. Just your usual  Winter wind...

Lets see what tonight brings??? But I Doubt it will top Ophelia! 

Oh and by the way the rain was 'Meh' and has now stopped... 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though the airmass was pretty cold for this, with a wind just North of westerly it was always going to be marginal at best.

In the end, we had further snow showers last night to give a temporary covering with a few remnants in the garden this morning. However, it is one thing to have snow showers, another thing for it to settle properly on largely mild and waterlogged ground. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well least we have had more snow this winter than  the last few. lots of winter left yet , a few years ago we had the heaviest snow that had fell an settled in the month of March.  looks fun in Scotland surely though those HGV vehicles travelling through Scotland this time of year should be kitted out with winter tyres??.. madness. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It' been a rubbish winter here so far, Ye we've had snow but no lying snow at all just showers. The only difference this year to the last 5 years is the rain has been colder than usual and the high mild temps haven't been reached as much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another noisy, windy night - that's two interrupted nights this week now but at least no damage and no power cuts!  Reading the south east thread makes me smile though - for once they get to experience weather conditions we get all the time - and they don't like it!  Somewhat breezy out there but otherwise a nice morning now - dry and clear but much better than the heavy rain we had late yesterday.  Maybe a couple of dry days ahead so that's good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

Another noisy, windy night - that's two interrupted nights this week now but at least no damage and no power cuts!  Reading the south east thread makes me smile though - for once they get to experience weather conditions we get all the time - and they don't like it!  Somewhat breezy out there but otherwise a nice morning now - dry and clear but much better than the heavy rain we had late yesterday.  Maybe a couple of dry days ahead so that's good!

Hi, popping in from the southeast thread. yep it was horrible. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×