Jump to content
ajpoolshark

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Recommended Posts

After the storms last night I'm surprised no one's posted in here, we didn't get a direct hit but had two storms go either side of me at the same time around 3/4am, both producing constant lightning and making my place light up like a war zone from both sides! Not seen lightning like that for many years, even if it was at a distance! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I am sitting outside in the shade on this best of all summer days and the thermometer is reading 30C, very much in the shade, down from 31C half an hour ago.  I can't guarantee the total accuracy of this measurement but I am quite sure we have touched 29C + here today in contrast to the forecasts which showed a maximum of 22C in the Preselli area of Pembrokeshire.  There is very lightest of light airs, hardly enough to ruffle the sunshade, and not a cloud in sight.  I will remember this day meteorologically for a very long time.  Wish I had a swimming pool, is all I am saying....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried but unable to find very much information on temperature records for Pembrokeshire, let alone more specific locations like Cardigan etc.  I am sure we must have been close to reaching a record high for June today but no idea how to check this.  If anyone reading this can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful :good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reached a high of 30.0C today, currently still 26.2C and feeling very uncomfortable. Looks the same for the next 2 days around here, but atleast we can say we had a summer haha. I'm personally not one for the heat, just need a good thunderstorm to clear the air! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll be lucky to get any good thunderstorms here but I'm not complaining - three or four days of this weather is a wonderful reward for suffering days on end of rain and high winds without the slightest sign of the sun.  I don't expect it to last much longer anyway, and then we'll be back to moaning about the low summer temperatures before you know it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18 June 2017 at 13:02, Sky Full said:

Well, I am sitting outside in the shade on this best of all summer days and the thermometer is reading 30C, very much in the shade, down from 31C half an hour ago.  I can't guarantee the total accuracy of this measurement but I am quite sure we have touched 29C + here today in contrast to the forecasts which showed a maximum of 22C in the Preselli area of Pembrokeshire.  There is very lightest of light airs, hardly enough to ruffle the sunshade, and not a cloud in sight.  I will remember this day meteorologically for a very long time.  Wish I had a swimming pool, is all I am saying....

28C thereabouts unusually hot for your part of the world. 

image.thumb.jpeg.24e123e1b1e428f944b5ef5d72d4e9bc.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Daniel - yeah, that's why I'm trying to find some data to backup my readings.  I set up an electronic weather station on Sunday and yesterday the outside sensor peaked at 30.2C.  The sensor is located under an overhanging roof completely in the shade facing east, and shaded by a tall hedge so it should be accurate?  Other locations near here were showing between 29C and 32C on the Wundemap app but it would be better to have something officially confirmed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30.6c the high last week here near Lampeter, a June record srb 2006.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three cliffs bay, 21/6/17, 2am swim, a night i'll never forget..

three cliffs amazing.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday was a lovely day here - warm (23C), light winds, mostly sunny with high level clouds only - Whitesands bay was packed!  A real summery day indeed, but was it the last really good day we will see this year?  August has been mainly wet and pretty much a write-off and I feel sorry for those whose income comes from tourism because its so dependent on the weather in this part of the world.  It's looking quite promising this morning so far with a sunny start but clouds are forming now so perhaps not as nice as yesterday.   At least we have a dry forecast for the next few days so the ground can dry out a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am moving from Portsmouth to Llanharan near Bridgend soon - do any of you know of you get any snow down that way in Winter ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defo getting cooler in the mornings,seven degrees,hopefully more to come ,thoughts on winter this year? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, whiskers said:

Defo getting cooler in the mornings,seven degrees,hopefully more to come ,thoughts on winter this year? 

well this setup in a winter month, would bring a dumping to high levels, Cheshire gap wide open, can see it from here, and all day yesterday, wishbone northerly

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, PompeyFC said:

I am moving from Portsmouth to Llanharan near Bridgend soon - do any of you know of you get any snow down that way in Winter ?

You get some snow round Bridgend way and surrounding Valleys, you might get more there than in Bridgrnd itself but you don't get masses of snow, most winters it's just the odd day here and there if we are lucky!

 

I must admit, I'm looking forward to the frosty mornings again and prospects of snowfall! 

Edited by DeepSnow
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to avoid winter predictions for now. We were more confident of a decent winter last year than we had been for years beforehand, and we ended up with some of the most benign weather imaginable. In the stormy, snowless winter of 2013-14, I wouldn't have betted on the following three also being almost entirely snow-free yet here we are! That said, nature is such that a cold, snowy spell is almost inevitable at some point, whether it's in the coming winter or we have to wait until 2027-28.

In the here and now, there's going to be some flooding in South Wales if this slow moving rain band keeps up. It's been pelting down for well over an hour now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, whiskers said:

Brrrrr,fresh one this morning,6.2 degrees!! 

It's actually dropped to 5.9!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/09/2017 at 22:45, Jackfrost said:

I'm going to avoid winter predictions for now. We were more confident of a decent winter last year than we had been for years beforehand, and we ended up with some of the most benign weather imaginable. In the stormy, snowless winter of 2013-14, I wouldn't have betted on the following three also being almost entirely snow-free yet here we are! That said, nature is such that a cold, snowy spell is almost inevitable at some point, whether it's in the coming winter or we have to wait until 2027-28.

In the here and now, there's going to be some flooding in South Wales if this slow moving rain band keeps up. It's been pelting down for well over an hour now.

COLDEST WINTER   for 100 yrs La nina kicks in https://t.co/8vvIFsHDKq

Edited by keithlucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wet, wet, wet, wet, wet - no, not an unimaginatively named tribute band but an accurate description of this dreadful September so far in this neck of the woods.  Already the wettest September for at least 10 years here and we still have 9 days to go....    Local flooding and swollen rivers not what you want to see at this time of year and especially not what you want to face when trying to work on a roof before the worst of the winter :(

I can only hope that this is a statistical anomaly and not a trend for more rain and stormy weather this early in the autumn.  Oh, for even one one week of crisp, dry and sunny weather - consider yourselves blessed if you have been lucky enough to enjoy these conditions over the last few weeks.  

Rant over.  At least we haven't had an earthquake or a hurricane so my thoughts are with all those in Mexico and the Caribbean who have lost so much to natural distasters this month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sky Full said:

Wet, wet, wet, wet, wet - no, not an unimaginatively named tribute band but an accurate description of this dreadful September so far in this neck of the woods.  Already the wettest September for at least 10 years here and we still have 9 days to go....    Local flooding and swollen rivers not what you want to see at this time of year and especially not what you want to face when trying to work on a roof before the worst of the winter :(

I can only hope that this is a statistical anomaly and not a trend for more rain and stormy weather this early in the autumn.  Oh, for even one one week of crisp, dry and sunny weather - consider yourselves blessed if you have been lucky enough to enjoy these conditions over the last few weeks.  

Rant over.  At least we haven't had an earthquake or a hurricane so my thoughts are with all those in Mexico and the Caribbean who have lost so much to natural distasters this month.

As I opened the curtains this morning i muttered to my wife that this is the worst September I can remember. Lets just hope there's some balancing up so we have some more dry, cold, snow etc.. come late Autumn/Winter. I think that could be a real possibility 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21 September 2017 at 09:51, Cwmbran Eira said:

As I opened the curtains this morning i muttered to my wife that this is the worst September I can remember. Lets just hope there's some balancing up so we have some more dry, cold, snow etc.. come late Autumn/Winter. I think that could be a real possibility 

In fairness, it turned into a very nice afternoon and even better evening yesterday - plenty of sunshine and light winds, very acceptable.  Unfortunately, today it's back to the usual driving rain, gusty winds, low clouds and poor visibility which doesn't look likely to clear for most of the day - again.   One nice afternoon and evening doesn't make up for the daily drenching we are getting but at least I don't have to water the garden.....

i might have to Google 'how to build a dome' because I think that's what's needed over the house.  That or an ark, maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/09/2017 at 21:10, keithlucky said:

COLDEST WINTER   for 100 yrs La nina kicks in https://t.co/8vvIFsHDKq

Interesting the last time enso dropped this low was 2011 to2012 . low solar minimum forcasted for 2018 to 20019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the wind activity forecast for our region, I'm surprised its so quiet in here now, lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×