Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

4 minutes ago, georgiedre said:

Worst snow ever in NW Wales. There's been yellow and green on the radar but hardly anything falling. Bonkers. Anyone know why ??

The radar has been weird today, I am in Bridgend and we have been showing up as very little snow all day on the radar and I have just got back from walking the dog (stopped here) and there is a good 3-4 inches of snow. I wonder if the radar perceives the powder snow different to the traditional Brit wet sticky snow?

Posted
4 minutes ago, snowyqueen said:

Is that dynevor terrace by any chance please ?

Not quite, @snowyqueen, it's the bottom of Shingrig Road, near the handball court. What connection do you have to Nelson?

Posted
1 minute ago, Phil Barkin said:

The radar has been weird today, I am in Bridgend and we have been showing up as very little snow all day on the radar and I have just got back from walking the dog (stopped here) and there is a good 3-4 inches of snow. I wonder if the radar perceives the powder snow different to the traditional Brit wet sticky snow?

I was thinking the same thing: we've had consistent heavy snow since 4 o'clock but the radar has had it as the same light stuff that fell Tuesday morning.

Posted
  • Location: Llandysul, Wales SA44 SA39 550 ft work 650 ft sleep 7.5 shrivelled sheep. Never mind the borax. Spatulas/spoons from just 7 quid, chopping boards from 18 quid, boxes from 45 quid or so for a OK one, bigger stuff costs more obviously
  • Location: Llandysul, Wales SA44 SA39 550 ft work 650 ft sleep 7.5 shrivelled sheep. Never mind the borax. Spatulas/spoons from just 7 quid, chopping boards from 18 quid, boxes from 45 quid or so for a OK one, bigger stuff costs more obviously

benb, your effed then surely if it's freezing rain pulling down electric wires, phone lines, cheezy art shops....

Posted
4 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

Not quite, @snowyqueen, it's the bottom of Shingrig Road, near the handball court. What connection do you have to Nelson?

Awwww I’m a bryncelyn girl but moved to the south east many years ago lol

4 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, snowyqueen said:

Awwww I’m a bryncelyn girl but moved to the south east many years ago lol

Feel free to return. Our snow events tend to outdo those in Essex!

• Thanks 1

Posted

It's been a good event here, drifts of about a foot. Is it better than 2010? No. I was living in Thornhill in Cardiff then and the level snow was over a foot deep. Cardiff has done really well out of this and I'm glad tbh. I was down in Cardiff at 9am this morning and it was pretty bad then. I'm on jury service at the moment and all Cardiff Crown Court trials have been cancelled until Monday. I don#t think there's much danger of the courts resuming in the morning. I'm sorry that the whole of Wales has not been able to report the same amount of snow. However, at the time of writing it is 1:46am and there is more to come yet. There is a huge amount of precipitation moving up from France, but it's questionable if it will get here. I used to post in here years ago but not done so much for a while. I'll tell you the reason, and I'm not directing this at anyone personally, but it is very cliquey in here. There are a group of you that know each other well in here and to be honest it almost feels like I'm intruding on your space. I would like to post more but I do feel a bit excluded. As for the model thread, forget it! There is absolutely no point. Anyway, I hope most of us are enjoying the snow. This is a rare event in the UK when the daytime max does not exceed -4ºC. Personally, I'm snowed in up in Ogmore Vale so I'm on the wine!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Ice pellets here in Cardiff, might even say it's rain that's freezing upon contact

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blackrose73 said:

It's been a good event here, drifts of about a foot. Is it better than 2010? No. I was living in Thornhill in Cardiff then and the level snow was over a foot deep. Cardiff has done really well out of this and I'm glad tbh. I was down in Cardiff at 9am this morning and it was pretty bad then. I'm on jury service at the moment and all Cardiff Crown Court trials have been cancelled until Monday. I don#t think there's much danger of the courts resuming in the morning. I'm sorry that the whole of Wales has not been able to report the same amount of snow. However, at the time of writing it is 1:46am and there is more to come yet. There is a huge amount of precipitation moving up from France, but it's questionable if it will get here. I used to post in here years ago but not done so much for a while. I'll tell you the reason, and I'm not directing this at anyone personally, but it is very cliquey in here. There are a group of you that know each other well in here and to be honest it almost feels like I'm intruding on your space. I would like to post more but I do feel a bit excluded. As for the model thread, forget it! There is absolutely no point. Anyway, I hope most of us are enjoying the snow. This is a rare event in the UK when the daytime max does not exceed -4ºC. Personally, I'm snowed in up in Ogmore Vale so I'm on the wine!

Same here, work cancelled tomorrow, once in 20-30 year event (specially from an easterly) why not neck a bottle of wine and enjoy. Surprised Andy isn't around as I know is has been an all nighter for the big events. In Bridgend bet it is much better up where you are!

• Like 1

Posted

A nice right-up Blackrose I thought, I don't know anyone here.  I see Coast, who was a laugh on this site, now only posts on UKWW out of his depth, in a serious sea of miserable angry weather autists.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Phil Barkin said:

Same here, work cancelled tomorrow, once in 20-30 year event (specially from an easterly) why not neck a bottle of wine and enjoy. Surprised Andy isn't around as I know is has been an all nighter for the big events. In Bridgend bet it is much better up where you are!

I have been observing the snow from my window for most of the day whilst working. It has been snowing constantly, sometimes quite heavily. But it never seemed to be accumulating outside. So I took a step outside and had a shock, and realised that the wind causing drifting of powder snow was causing quite deep drifts that I wasn't aware of! It was quite something though to see snowing being horizontally blown by a strong howling wind!

Posted
23 minutes ago, Panayiotis said:

Ice pellets here in Cardiff, might even say it's rain that's freezing upon contact

Your probably effed too then!

Posted
7 minutes ago, cruelwx said:

A nice right-up Blackrose I thought, I don't know anyone here.  I see Coast, who was a laugh on this site, now only posts on UKWW out of his depth, in a serious sea of miserable angry weather autists.

Call me Andrew lol. Thanks for the reply.

Posted

Small but potent batch of snow moving in across Cardiff and the Valleys, seemingly sparking off over the Bristol Channel.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

Small but potent batch of snow moving in across Cardiff and the Valleys, seemingly sparking off over the Bristol Channel.

Yes, I have been keeping my eye on that and it seems it will provide a nice burst of snow! There's loads of precipitation still below us, I hope that makes its way here also!

I think the issue is, I (you and blackrose may be the same or not) only really post when there is snow which is so rare for us out west, I recon a lot of these guys are regular posters, I have posted a few times today and totally been ignored. To be fair the Andy guy is pretty cool and I have had a few chats when the snow events occur but lets be fair how often is that. Im not too interested and thunder and heatwaves and all that but snow and I will be up all night. I think you are up by Newcastle Emlyn hows it up there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.
33 minutes ago, Panayiotis said:

Looks like rain falling and turning straight into ice pellets. And the sky is so orange. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Clair_Witch said:

Looks like rain falling and turning straight into ice pellets. And the sky is so orange. 

Milder uppers? :-(

Posted
6 minutes ago, Phil Barkin said:

I think the issue is, I (you and blackrose may be the same or not) only really post when there is snow which is so rare for us out west, I recon a lot of these guys are regular posters, I have posted a few times today and totally been ignored. To be fair the Andy guy is pretty cool and I have had a few chats when the snow events occur but lets be fair how often is that. Im not too interested and thunder and heatwaves and all that but snow and I will be up all night. I think you are up by Newcastle Emlyn hows it up there?

That is certainly part of it, you're right. I'm admin of several large facebook groups so I'm no shrinking violet, but I always feel apprehensive about posting in here. Like you, I have been ignored, even after repeating the same question several times.

Posted
1 hour ago, Phil Barkin said:

Andy, do you know why (in simple terms) has there been a lower amount of snow falling between Bridgend and Swansea?

I can only sumise that possibly once it hits land in wales, it's dumping it's load in south east wales and then running out of steam as it goes west - just a guess - but it happens when snow drops down from the north over the mountains as well and the beacons then suck them dry

1 minute ago, blackrose73 said:

Milder uppers? :-(

1 minute ago, blackrose73 said:

That is certainly part of it, you're right. I'm admin of several large facebook groups so I'm no shrinking violet, but I always feel apprehensive about posting in here. Like you, I have been ignored, even after repeating the same question several times.

These kind of places should be welcoming otherwise it will always be the same posters. Hows that vino going down? so happy with the snow and to have work off tomorrow, other half not so happy as she has to go in even though I told her it wont happen. :)

Posted

we'd never mean to do that i'm sure - but like the last few days I know it doesn't look like it but I've been struggling to keep up with the posts in here - I've been busy off line plus running my businesses which I do from home - so maybe I missed one or two of your posts asking for help etc

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted

Or Bless you ' copy and paste your link in here i will follow you .