Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Colder weather digs south on with a flask flow.Plenty of snow over higher ground.If the LP moves slightly further east and allowing colder again to filter further south.GAME On

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, keithlucky said:

Colder weather digs south on with a flask flow.Plenty of snow over higher ground.If the LP moves slightly further east and allowing colder again to filter further south.GAME On

Still no change a cold possible snow Thursday into Friday ,nice and frosty outlook beyond the weekend.Winter finally returns 

image.thumb.png.8f3b77fc01e6e5ed281a88772d1c9ae7.png

Edited by keithlucky
Add ons
  • Like 1

Posted

I'm 1002ft above sea level in Snowdonia and the met office and BBC have nothing but rain for my location through Thursday and Friday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
8 hours ago, andy989 said:

I'm 1002ft above sea level in Snowdonia and the met office and BBC have nothing but rain for my location through Thursday and Friday

Probably doesn't help you being quite so close to the coast. Will always be affected by higher dew points as a result, despite your height asl.  

Edited by Blessed Weather
This reply to Andy moved from Mod thread.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Couldn’t resist sharing this sunrise with you this morning.....

91617AA1-A595-4083-9A73-CDE05567E108.thumb.jpeg.13bb290b86976467930fa89cc8699dbd.jpeg

Kinda makes up for any rubbish we have to endure from time to time....

• Like 3

Posted

I'm back after my long summer hibernation and I'm a bit surprised to see a second consecutive GFS run is keen on bringing falling (if not widespread settling) snow to the bulk of Wales, on-and-off, for a two day period between Thursday and Saturday. Most of this is away from the coast, from the Valleys up to North Wales, but some wintriness does appear to reach sea level at times. Also, the focus of any snow has now moved north and west and away from the east of England. 

image.thumb.png.dfb55674a7fe12ba2bb4e307f01bf41f.png  image.thumb.png.83c4d77a551efa3cb820475e748dd55c.pngimage.thumb.png.fb65269911a5c56b179419960ec69361.png    image.thumb.png.e80fb2ad6695c8b1dd86fdd1357db070.png

It's worth taking these with a pinch of salt as the GFS does tend to over-egg snow but in all honesty, after the year we've had and after a long run of rubbish winters (well, except for 2017-18), I think most of us would be happy with some falling snow and slushy deposits! 

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, Jackfrost said:

I'm back after my long summer hibernation and I'm a bit surprised to see a second consecutive GFS run is keen on bringing falling (if not widespread settling) snow to the bulk of Wales, on-and-off, for a two day period between Thursday and Saturday. Most of this is away from the coast, from the Valleys up to North Wales, but some wintriness does appear to reach sea level at times. Also, the focus of any snow has now moved north and west and away from the east of England. 

image.thumb.png.dfb55674a7fe12ba2bb4e307f01bf41f.png  image.thumb.png.83c4d77a551efa3cb820475e748dd55c.pngimage.thumb.png.fb65269911a5c56b179419960ec69361.png    image.thumb.png.e80fb2ad6695c8b1dd86fdd1357db070.png

It's worth taking these with a pinch of salt as the GFS does tend to over-egg snow but in all honesty, after the year we've had and after a long run of rubbish winters (well, except for 2017-18), I think most of us would be happy with some falling snow and slushy deposits! 

Yes it will be nice to see what snowflakes look like.Showers over night Friday overnights Saturday could well give us slushy deposits as evaporated cooling in the heavier bursts. .Need to watch streamers setting up as wind switches to a more Northerly direction Saturday.

• Like 1

Posted
On 30/11/2020 at 22:56, andy989 said:

No problem you should have a good covering by Saturday even South Wales should see some snow North Wales Especially. What is constantly seen on precipitation charts is the streamer setting up over North Wales and running down to pembroke .So Saturday night onwards.Snow could pop up anywhere Lampost watching back.

Edited by keithlucky
Typo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/blizzard
39 minutes ago, keithlucky said:

No problem you should have a good covering by Saturday even South Wales should see some snow North Wales Especially. What is constantly seen on precipitation charts is the streamer setting up over North Wales and running down to pembroke .So Saturday night onwards.Snow could pop up anywhere Lampost watching back.

What sort of daytime/night time temps are we looking at towards this weekend?

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, dyl232 said:

What sort of daytime/night time temps are we looking at towards this weekend?

Around 5 to 6c Friday around 5c Saturday but dropping to around 0 to2c overnight.But temperatures falling during showers due to evaporated cooling heavier the showers the better.Sleet to snow more chance of snow over Friday Saturday Sunday night .Better chance Saturday Sunday night's seeing some snow. And wind switches to a more Northerly direction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Did anyone notice the size of the moon and the ring around it?  I e never seen a moon so big!!

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, whiskers said:

Did anyone notice the size of the moon and the ring around it?  I e never seen a moon so big!!

yes it was

image.thumb.png.a0c829147d43047f28da18ad86a1c721.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
2 minutes ago, andymusic said:

yes it was

image.thumb.png.a0c829147d43047f28da18ad86a1c721.png

Snow over the costa del Gower now then must be some heavy precipitation coming from the Dangler set up evaporative cooling needs to be in full effect temps of 5 just won’t cut it otherwise. 

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, Pembroke Dangler said:

Snow over the costa del Gower now then must be some heavy precipitation coming from the Dangler set up evaporative cooling needs to be in full effect temps of 5 just won’t cut it otherwise. 

As the front edges southward evaporated cooling takes place the western flank of the front could see rain turn to snow in the heavier bursts.Let's hopes precipitation continues overnight.

• Like 1

Posted

My prediction for today, knowing this part of southeast Wales and its climate as well as I do, and based on years of observations: the 00Z is still going for widespread snow away from coastal areas but not widespread settling snow. Based on this, and also the Met Office and BBC forecasts, I certainly wouldn't bet against falling snow in the Valleys and Monmouthshire from this afternoon onwards, with possibly some wintriness closer to sea level from the VoG eastwards, but I'd expect settling snow to be mostly restricted to the usual places (the tops between the valleys, communities in the Heads of the Valleys and, of course, the Beacons and Black Mountains). That said, some settling snow can't be ruled out as the evening goes on and temperatures drop, especially if EP plays any part as happened on Nov. 13th last year.

It does look maybe a little sleety under the streetlight here this morning, but I can't be sure.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Jackfrost said:

My prediction for today, knowing this part of southeast Wales and its climate as well as I do, and based on years of observations: the 00Z is still going for widespread snow away from coastal areas but not widespread settling snow. Based on this, and also the Met Office and BBC forecasts, I certainly wouldn't bet against falling snow in the Valleys and Monmouthshire from this afternoon onwards, with possibly some wintriness closer to sea level from the VoG eastwards, but I'd expect settling snow to be mostly restricted to the usual places (the tops between the valleys, communities in the Heads of the Valleys and, of course, the Beacons and Black Mountains). That said, some settling snow can't be ruled out as the evening goes on and temperatures drop, especially if EP plays any part as happened on Nov. 13th last year.

It does look maybe a little sleety under the streetlight here this morning, but I can't be sure.

As the front pushes east tonight heavier precipitation by dawn I expect to see back edge wet snow by dawn .And a covering over high ground in south wales.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Steady, continuous rain here which is likely to dig in for the rest of the day.  I can’t see any snow falling here or even on the Preselis given the westerly origin of the weather but you never know.  Good luck to all those who are hoping for a covering today or tomorrow!

Posted

Rain turning to sleet here in Abertillery

Edited by A-Dizzle

Posted

Looks like a decent chance of seeing some snow for us in south wales this evening and into tonight according to the latest met office forecast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whUXAlDiEK0

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain

Just travelled home from snowdonia to haverfordwest clear all the way through Wales until I got to the presli Hills snow level to about 150M very slushy but on the road that goes over near the top 400M temp 0c and dry covering of 2inchs

20201203_222831.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

My prediction for southeast Wales yesterday was a bit off. I'm honestly surprised there was no lying snow, even at the highest point of the A465 at over 400 m. Glad to see settling snow in other parts of the country, though!

Sorry if I got anybody's hopes up unnecessarily.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
5 hours ago, Jackfrost said:

My prediction for southeast Wales yesterday was a bit off. I'm honestly surprised there was no lying snow, even at the highest point of the A465 at over 400 m. Glad to see settling snow in other parts of the country, though!

Sorry if I got anybody's hopes up unnecessarily.

No apology needed the met office s wrong most of the time lol.More precipitation moves North to South over Wales overnight if the rain is heavy enough we have a better chance of seeing some snow in the areas you mention.

• Like 1