Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Was woken up at about 12:30 by the worst rainstorm I have ever experienced anywhere.  Absolutely torrential, tropical monsoon type rain accompanied by strong wind, thunder and lightning.  It was hitting my south facing windows with the force of a pressure hose and I was worried for my roof.  I then heard the dripping water above the bedroom so I rushed up to the loft to find two leaks .  Managed to put bowls under the leaks but the noise up there was deafening - I’m just glad the roof is still on.  It’s all passed away to the north towards Cardigan and the coast so I’m now recovering with a cup of tea.  As I live on a hill I don’t have to worry about flooding too much but anyone living in a valley by a stream in the path of that storm must have had a worrying time.  Please don’t let this become the new normal.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

It was a decent week for us taking into account the forecast and warnings though I still think it could have been better for the country as a whole.

The first bit of storms happened in the morning of last Monday where it was very cloudy but there was some rumbles of thunder that got closer from the north. I wen't inside to say to my parents that there was thunder, and then was looking out one of the front upstairs windows with them closed. Then I saw a faint flash in the sky, but 3 to 4 seconds later there was a loud thunder clap which surprised me and caused my heart rate to rise quite high as that meant it was under a mile away '(Later found out by neighbours who saw it that it hit the ground so could have been a positive cloud to ground strike).' I wen't downstairs to say how close it was and my parents were also surprised at it, they said the electric wen't out for a few seconds as the strike happened.

Then there were a few more fairly close strikes before it cleared up, and we then wen't outside to have a look around and could hear really deep rumbles of thunder in the distance to our southeast. There was just rain and distant thunder for a bit, until the afternoon where another load of lightning came in. It was mostly cloud-cloud and intra-cloud, until I heard powerful deep rumbling thunder. I wen't in the landing to look out the window, and could see cloud to ground strikes in the distance to the NorthEast. Then I wen't downstairs to wait it out, and there were a few fairly close but not too loud strikes along with heavy rain until the thundery weather moved away and it brightened up into the late afternoon and evening.

There was nothing then on Tuesday until Wednesday came along, where most of the morning and early afternoon was thunder less, but me and my parents could tell that the sky looked unstable with loads of unstable AltoCumulus clouds and some Cumulus ones.

Here are a load of pictures I took of some storm clouds that then formed to our north on the late afternoon of last Wednesday.

IMG_0109.thumb.JPG.d7f5411a30fab61bdd5ac5eaa3687b14.JPGIMG_0110.thumb.JPG.9e00e688236628041dc84cbefbc697b6.JPGIMG_0111.thumb.JPG.dfc59d0a57d8375c263829a95a6316ba.JPGIMG_0112.thumb.JPG.1803abc3860e1cd077f8ca0c282be7bb.JPGIMG_0113.thumb.JPG.dc38d7c47fb5aefb0bc71cbd7421cd54.JPGIMG_0114.thumb.JPG.6cd026dd4fd2dde4cd5cdf07fa8d4965.JPGIMG_0115.thumb.JPG.5e241c7556eb3f0154bd2686b069a242.JPGIMG_0116.thumb.JPG.94ab13242a8c147642b81fe00a9abc0b.JPGIMG_0117.thumb.JPG.01ef4df3d2bc590cab14e581480a7770.JPG

This was the last proper day of thunder that we had here, and there was a bit more around us and in the distance that formed later that evening and into the night that produced some nice displays. One or two storms in particular in the distance to the South and SouthWest were producing a lightning strike rate of 20 to 30 strikes in just 30 seconds!

There was some nice intra cloud lightning a long way in the distance then from the South to the West, which got closer as the night went on, but it started to die down in intensity. It got to a certain distance then quite quickly completely died out, and I have to say that my heart sank when this happened around 2:00am to 3:00am that night.

That was it then for the rest of the early hours, I stayed up for an hour or two just to be cautious, but nothing was happening so I made the decision to go to bed.

We also had some late evening storms sometime in June or July I think that produced some lightning and thunder which was closer but wasn't as frequent, and I wasn't able to report it, as well as some distant loud rumbles of thunder to our Northwest that wasn't forecast or reported by anyone on here a few weeks ago back in July.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

We had a bit more lightning here on Thursday night along with probably the most heaviest rain I have ever seen.

I could tell something was up that night as there was faint heat lightning going on at 10:00 to 12:00PM. And then later some brighter fairly close sheet lightning occurred with distant rumbles.

There was a lull in the lightning but then a massive downpour happened and by the end of it there was a very large and deep puddle of water outside our back door which thankfully slowly seeped down our soak away to the bottom of the garden. And as the rain moved away an intra-cloud strike occurred as the light was on in the kitchen which I saw light up the ground outside the window above the house which produced a closer rumble of thunder.

Then there were a few more distant strikes around the area with distant rumbles until the lightning and heavy rain moved away leaving the winds to arrive and normal showers. 

• Like 1

Posted

It’s stayed very windy in the west but at least it’s dry now.  Can’t quite believe we’re getting this kind of weather in August but I guess it must have happened before...   Now we’ve got another lovely Atlantic storm to look forward to mid week..     I feel very sorry for all the holiday makers who did the right thing and stayed in the UK - a lot of them have come to Pembrokeshire to be greeted by gales, rain and cloudy skies.  When you consider what a wonderful Spring we had during the period when most of us couldn’t leave the house, it’s a great shame that the good weather couldn’t continue through the peak holiday period.  I’m pretty sure we’ll get lovely weather back again after everyone’s gone back to work and school....

• Like 1

Posted

Lake Vyrnwy near Llanfyllin saw gusts of 75mph, equalling the Welsh August gust record at Milford Haven in August 1979.

Sustanted was 48mph so an all time record,not surprised after what I saw the other day.

Posted
3 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Lake Vyrnwy near Llanfyllin saw gusts of 75mph, equalling the Welsh August gust record at Milford Haven in August 1979.

Sustanted was 48mph so an all time record,not surprised after what I saw the other day.

Its funny because the highest I got that day was a gust of 40mph, and that was up a large hill in Wales!

Must be sheltered from Westerly winds here at Brongest I guess.

Posted
3 hours ago, wimblettben said:

Its funny because the highest I got that day was a gust of 40mph, and that was up a large hill in Wales!

Must be sheltered from Westerly winds here at Brongest I guess.

Reminded me of a winter storm very unusual to see small boughs blowing sideways halfway across a field counted around 40 twigs and boughs all straddled everywhere,10 broke off one tree,very exposed just there.

Posted

4 pictures I took of some quite large mid level clouds this morning at Brongest.

Altocumulus are not normally as thick as that so it was interesting to see.

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

September 2020.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Hello Wales! We are visiting next week and I have just had a look in the model output discussion. Looks like we could be escaping a South East heatwave and enjoying some very pleasant conditions on the welsh coast - here's hoping I haven't jinxed things by posting in here!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

A calm and mostly clear evening here and dry at the minute but we’ve had some hefty showers today.  Looking at the radar we might have some more rain before midnight.  The low pressure system bringing windy and wet weather expected tomorrow looks like it might just move a little further south than forecast and affect Cornwall and Devon more than this area, but we’re still in for some prolonged rain and strong winds later in the day.  At least it’s not a serious named storm - I won’t mind if we don’t see any more of them this Autumn but not placing any bets....

Posted

A clear, calm and cool early start to the day here and a bit of Autumn sunshine to look forward to this weekend.  Can’t be bad!  The heavy rain and gales which were forecast for Thursday and Friday must have moved away to the south west because we only really had some beefy showers and gusty wind for a while, but nothing extreme or close to ‘warning’ status.  The clouds are turning a subtle shade of pink as I write - very nice just before the sun rises.

Posted

5D9F0C41-B502-42AA-B074-97EC865D4D4D.thumb.jpeg.fadd9f3753fb6dffbc4e3c135e27d4ad.jpeg

A love a colourful sky!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Glorious day today, after an albeit chilly start.  Lovely and warm in sunshine, lazily watching dragonflies, bees and other wingy  things winging around the autumn flowers.  Old compost heap put to rest, plant pots and debris cleared, husband has even put a lovely shade of sky blue lime wash on one of the House walls.  Thankfully, due no doubt to half UK in lockdown, no farty wee little motorbikes or landys, to disturb the buzzin* hum, other than harvesting crews and tractors.  No rest for farmers.  

• Like 3

Posted

Now we're getting to it - heavy rain here accompanied by strong winds. It's not nice out there at all.  No doubt its worse in some other areas further south and nearer to the storm centre, but I'm hoping that there will not be any more flooding to cope with this year, on top of everything else that's happened.    

Posted

Met office have an amber warning for rain covering most of Wales today, followed by a yellow warning tomorrow.  We’re all getting very wet this weekend.  No warning for wind as yet, but it’s worth expecting strong winds especially on the west coast.  These four charts show four different models worst case maximum gusts between 10:00am and 2:00pm on Sunday and they don’t agree on the timing or the strength of the wind so there’s room for change:

xx_model-en-330-0_modgbr_2020100300_33_4858_93.thumb.png.e77e27f2524b53218b6c0998e003eb1b.png  xx_model-en-330-0_modfrahd_2020100306_31_4858_11.thumb.png.7d197d584684d77993abc870c34dac22.png
xx_model-en-330-0_moddeu_2020100306_28_4858_11.thumb.png.9a5523db0ec97c2967f0e181450b8c39.png  xx_model-en-330-0_modez_2020100300_33_4858_93.thumb.png.889aa9e275c54d136f8fb513f2525fe3.png

Mostly affecting south west Wales with up to 50mph gusts inland, and possibly 65-70mph on exposed western coasts.  Worth noting that other models are not as bullish about the maximum gusts so it might not get as bad as the above charts indicate.  Is this just a warm-up for things to come later in the Autumn, though?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Had some lovely weather round here recently with sunny days and colourful sunsets but now things have gone downhill again.  It was very windy today - much stronger than I expected - and more to come next week by the looks of it.  Still, shouldn’t complain really - nothing to threaten the roof so far this autumn.

Posted

Lovely start here today....

161C0F69-93BF-4B4A-9FD4-139D500F94A5.thumb.jpeg.5f382d81c97770bb3054abebe9b58aee.jpeg

This might be the last dry, calm and sunny day we get for a while - the forecast for next week looks wet and windy.  Have to make the most of this lovely autumn day before we get locked down again and unable to go anywhere

Posted

Blimey.  What a wild night it is here.  Stormy winds and heavy rain.  I know we had weather warnings for this area, but for some reason I wasn’t expecting it to be this bad.  Nasty noises from outside imply that my roof is being tested.  Saw a flash of lightning earlier too.  Looking forward to a few days of calm next week - I’ve got to try and finish painting outside but I do need some dry weather for this.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Just had bubble bro up for lovely local lamb roast supper, Him gonna get utterly soaked walking home.  Had Logfire on all day because of sheer dreck outside, now it’s Lashing down, but mild.

• Like 1

Posted

Three straight days of almost continuous gales is now getting very tiring.  It’s going to quieten down later, I know, but seeing everything that moves outside leaning over at an alarming angle isn’t  very enjoyable.  Have had to stake and tie everything that’s still standing in the garden but at least it’s not raining .  A nice few quiet and sunny days to come.  That’s better.  Lock down ends in a week, too.  Or does it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Anyone seen anything like this ? 

NW Wales could see 20C+ tomorrow in a light easterly. The November UK record is 22.4C Trawsgoed from 2015

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Pretty windy overnight with a cold and breezy start this morning but we should have a drier day compared with the last three.....   As we go towards the weekend I’m hoping the sun might appear from time to time but some more rain can also be expected.  Sunday could be the best day of the week and perhaps I might be able to get those Spring bulbs in the ground at last.  

Posted

Oh dear.  Back to continuous cold drizzle with accompanying wind.  Looks like the form horse this year for autumn and early winter.  Hoping for that elusive easterly to get established because that will likely bring some respite from the rain, if not some wintry weather.....  ⛄

• Like 1

Posted

A lovely crisp sunshiny day yesterday, however, we have returned to Brigadoon, the fog/mist/low cloud has been with us all day.  Good excuse for tea and toast by the fire.

• Like 1