Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Cloudy and windy and there's definitely rain about again.  This persistently miserable weather doesn't want to release its grip yet, does it?  But what's this?  Next week we might have a genuine chance of some proper Spring-like conditions!   A settled period with much more sunshine and lighter winds is on the cards - or so the computer models are telling us.   I'm keeping everything crossed that they've got it right this time!

• Like 2

Posted

Quite sunny on the whole but ridiculously windy again today!  55mph gusts recorded at both Milford Haven and Aberporth but here with a bit of elevation it seemed quite a bit stronger than that at times.  Had one quite violent shower of hail accompanied by extra strong gusts which I wish I could have recorded - must get an anemometer!  Ended up a little calmer with only an isolated shower or two so not too bad really.  Less windy and more settled in the week ahead hopefully - I can't wait!

Posted

Easterly could be on the cards too folks in just over a week's time - don't pack away the jumpers just yet - once again more chance of cold and snow at Easter than xmas is the saying eh!

Posted

Absolutely flippin' hammering down here again - and gusty winds with it.  Where's this fabled high pressure we're supposed to be getting?  If it suddenly disappears to be replaced by cold and wet for another week I think I'll have to have a couple of weeks in Spain.  

Oh no.  That's no longer an option is it. 

Posted

Well it's another wet and quite windy day here in the Preselis.  If you've got sunshine and light winds today I am very envious.  The better weather keeps getting shoved further off into next week and I wonder when we'll ever get a single week of dry, warm, sunny weather again.  

Ah well, there's more important things to worry about now and the weather is the least of our concerns.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Lovely in the sunshine today, but egads! That wind is strong and dashed chilly!

Edited by snefnug

Posted

It's a beautiful Spring day today - light winds and plenty of warmish sunshine on offer.  The fish have come up for a first look at the sky - haven't seen them for weeks!  There's bees about everywhere and I saw the first butterfly - she'll be regretting waking up so early before long.....

Can't believe the charts are showing frost and even snow for the beginning of April - surely we're owed a long warm spell by now.  A few days this week won't cut it for me - I want record dry, warm, and sunny conditions starting 1st April.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

By cripes, it’s getting tense in the C-19 local thread.   And now on a lighter note

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 1

Posted

Hi mods, can’t seem to load the actual vid, so please feel free to delete last posting .  But for you all, if you track it down on Wales today it is a hoot!

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, snefnug said:

Hi mods, can’t seem to load the actual vid, so please feel free to delete last posting .  But for you all, if you track it down on Wales today it is a hoot!

Worked fine for me!  Very loveable Mam there whose taking the situation properly seriously.   Genuine and bitter sweet.  How many people are having to do this I wonder?

Posted
30 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

Worked fine for me!  Very loveable Mam there whose taking the situation properly seriously.   Genuine and bitter sweet.  How many people are having to do this I wonder?

A lot of us, except it’s not our own parents but older people in the valley who don’t have relatives nearby and now we don’t have the bus, no transport.  I have a couple in their mid 80’s and a lady in her 90s who I shop for, used to clean for but now cannot, and whose dogs I walk. Sometimes it can be quite demanding.....

• Like 2

Posted

Perhaps a severe  cold spell for this time of year will stop these numpties going out.Avery cold spell starts.zThis weekend as s northerly becomes a north easterly, with  showers  moving in and snow anywhere Monday Tuesday.

Screenshot_20200324-193026_Chrome.jpg

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
14 hours ago, keithlucky said:

Perhaps a severe  cold spell for this time of year will stop these numpties going out.Avery cold spell starts.zThis weekend as s northerly becomes a north easterly, with  showers  moving in and snow anywhere Monday Tuesday.

Screenshot_20200324-193026_Chrome.jpg

Northerly air stream setting up Sunday streamer setting up ,anywhere could get a covering overnight, Sunday. be nice to get a distraction from more serious matters.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Well, we have enjoyed a practically unbroken spell of sunny weather now since last Sunday and dry every day too!  A little on the chilly side in the northerly and easterly winds but quite bearable if you get out of the wind.  I would normally have visited a couple of beaches this week - probably Poppit Sands and Newport or maybe Manorbier, but no chance of doing that now.  I would love to go for a walk in the Preselis in this weather but it seems even this is off limits despite there being no one else around but I understand the need to keep off the roads and avoid contact etc.  It does begin to look as though the drier weather may continue for a while at least and the temperatures could begin to rise.  

I'm worried that it's going to become more and more difficult to keep people at home if the weather delivers a really warm spell in April.....

Posted

A lovely bright sunny day today, but OMG - The WIND!  So strong and quite chilling so it properly took the edge off the temperatures.  It's raining now as predicted but hopefully tomorrow we will see a sunny day with light winds and climbing temperatures.  Will only be able to enjoy it in the garden though - no trips to the beach!!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

A really wonderful month it’s been for Spring-like weather so far.  I can’t remember a drier or sunnier April really and even though the temperatures haven’t been record breaking it’s been generally pretty comfortable even though we’ve had northerlies and easterlies at times.  The lack of rain has been notable and I’ve had to be out watering the garden most days.  Being forced to stay at home every day isn’t what you want when the weather is like this and I miss going for a walk on the coast path but at least we’ve been able to get outdoors - a lock-down during a record breaking wet month would have been much more challenging and depressing.  The weather will do what it wants regardless of anything else going on but I have definitely noticed the lack of contrails and the clearer skies generally.  I wonder if there will be any longer term effects on the weather which we haven’t been able to predict.  Maybe the summer will see more records fall for high temperatures or maybe we will see the return of monsoon like conditions - whatever happens I’ll bet that some people will be blaming the world-wide lock-downs for any extreme weather we see this coming summer..

Posted

Glad to hear you are keeping well.

Missing my caravan down St David's. Was looking forward to having more time down there as the last couple of years (since we bought it) we have had numerous health problems in the wife's with her sister and mother which had been our responsibility to take care of. The last one passed at the end of February (don't ask about the funeral that was stressful) Then along came the lockdown. So its good to hear that it is all still there 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Settled and dry conditions continue in this area with very little rain - no rain yesterday here despite the predictions.  Temperatures are around average but the strong winds we have had at times recently makes it feel colder.  Another lovely start to the day here with bright spring sunshine and light winds and this is set to continue until the weekend.  Colder conditions are predicted from Sunday for a couple of days so we may have to endure some unwelcome frosts on Sunday and possibly Monday night.  I’m hoping our westerly location may avoid the worst of the cold snap, though.  The only thing making lockdown bearable for me has been the lack of rain - imagine how we would be feeling if April had been the wettest on record instead of the sunniest....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

Lovely thunder and hail storm here today came out of nowhere and stayed for a good hour ⚡

• Like 1

Posted

Conditions here have been swinging between cool/dry and warm/dry, with plenty of sunshine but generally always breezy.  The recent northerly and easterly winds have certainly kept the temperatures below average but also kept the rain away - although we did have a light shower here this morning after early mist.  It’s a much cloudier start today than in recent days (and even weeks!) but the sun is peeking out now and then so not too bad.  We really have been lucky to enjoy such a long settled period under the present crisis and we can’t complain if we get a few days of cloud and showers.  Next week should be warmer at least until Wednesday, and in the longer term the outlook appears to offer more high pressure to come, although it’s really not a certainty yet given the disagreement currently between the main weather models.  
Could we be in for a dry and warm summer to help us through the crisis?  

Oh dear.  That’s gone and ruined it.....

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I wasn't able to mention at the time but back early in May this year there were a line of cumulonimbus clouds that formed in a line to the south and southeast of here during the hot sunny afternoon. I was pleasantly surprised as I didn't think we would get homegrown storms in Wales like we got in the southwest and south of England. 

I wen't up the road with my mum looking at the clouds and hearing a load of rumbles of thunder for at least half an hour, and my mother said that she saw a bolt of lightning in the distance.

I don't know what us in west Wales will get from this thundery forecast for next week but it will be interesting to see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
On 09/05/2020 at 16:18, Pembroke Dangler said:

Lovely thunder and hail storm here today came out of nowhere and stayed for a good hour ⚡

There were a line of storm clouds to our South and Southeast in the distance sometime in early May with a load of rumbles of thunder but I wasn't able to report it on the day.

We are in Brongest so i'm not sure if you were under the storms that we saw in the distance. 

Posted

We had a very vigorous storm here yesterday between about 6:00 and. 7:00 pm with a really tropical downpour lasting about 30 minutes, quite a few lightning strikes and thunder but it all passed over towards the west. Has done a great of good in the garden and filled up the pond nicely but no sign of it today!   Today was quite humid and very warm when the sun came out between mostly cumulus clouds but very little wind and no showers although predicted.  Looking to be very fine evening considering we are under a low pressure system....