Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Something white falling from the sky at last!!! 

Oh - its just hail.     

No snow here but the hail is trying to settle!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, WalsallWeather said:

Hi all. Just wandering onto this section in the hope that there is someone in/near Newport. Hoping to head down tomorrow for some football but I know they play on a rugby pitch and so it doesn’t take much for the games to be off! How is it there? As long as you aren’t getting a deluge of rain I think it’ll be okay! 
Thanks! 

Not been to Newport over the last couple of days but I guess they're just getting heavy wintry showers today like us.  I would be very surprised if the pitch was unplayable - there hasn't been too much rain today.  Hope you get a game in.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and hot sun
20 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

Something white falling from the sky at last!!! 

Oh - its just hail.     

No snow here but the hail is trying to settle!

Here too! Couldn't believe it. Heavy squally shower of white stuff. Hail, but definitely white! 

Total surprise! 

• Like 1

Posted

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but forewarned is forearmed as they say.....  Looks like we could be in for a repeat of this weather next weekend.  According to ICON (but other weather models in broad agreement) the following maximum wind gusts can be expected at:

16:00  Saturday                                              22:00  Saturday

xx_model-en-339-0_moddeu_2020021012_123_4858_11.thumb.png.d41bfb82cef3ace35bcfbc07906884df.png      xx_model-en-339-0_moddeu_2020021012_129_4858_11.thumb.png.a7aaa75c12b78018b316a2ea022e50ca.png

01:00   Sunday                                              ...plus 24 hours accumulated rainfall by 10:00  Sunday:   

xx_model-en-339-0_moddeu_2020021012_132_4858_11.thumb.png.4d1b825219ff7b5aa69c1b34dde63400.png      xx_model-en-339-0_moddeu_2020021012_141_4858_63.thumb.png.5f036f543cf27738898260ea29217a3f.png

This would be another long lasting wind and rain event affecting the whole country.  What chances another named storm within 7 days of Ciara....?

Edited by Sky Full
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

Bit of thunder and lightning in bargoed followed by what I believe to be that rare and much hunted snow........❄

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, dbaloo said:

Bit of thunder and lightning in bargoed followed by what I believe to be that rare and much hunted snow........❄

Reports of snow over North Wales sleet now over most areas ,Let hope we see one snow flake down south

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and hot sun
14 minutes ago, keithlucky said:

Reports of snow over North Wales sleet now over most areas ,Let hope we see one snow flake down south

Another hail storm. Size of peas! 

Its really getting wild again here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

This lunchtime‘s walk with Norman over the tops.

281BC763-3034-44E9-88AE-C6CE254F7F24.jpeg

2386E77C-0505-4802-BD9B-CB6616FD7E9D.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Scattered wintry showers this mor ing, not settling down here, but cars coming down from Nantyr hill have a layer of snow, so probs settling on the tops.  

• Like 1

Posted
On 11/02/2020 at 14:03, snefnug said:

This lunchtime‘s walk with Norman over the tops.

281BC763-3034-44E9-88AE-C6CE254F7F24.jpeg

2386E77C-0505-4802-BD9B-CB6616FD7E9D.jpeg

Hei Snefnug (Danish word for Snow flake? - I worked across Europe for many years before heading back to my "milltir sgwar")

I always love seeing your photos from Dyffryn Ceiriog ... I had family from there once ... I had a wry smile seeing your aptly named dog Norman walking in an area which was remembered by local folklore as where the disasterous Norman invasion (for them) of Wales happened with Henry 2nd

....... spoiler.. His army was badly damaged by rain and ambushes all away along "Ffordd y Saeson/Englishman way" - I hope you fared better

I sadly no longer have living family there  but I will continue to enjoy your updates and others of valleys in Cymru/Wales.

Bryn-Daf

Edited by Bryn Webster
  • Like 2

Posted

Hylo Bawb! ... Hi Everyone!

I have finally moved back from low lying Eastern England and I have been squirreled away in the hills of NE Wales enjoying this recent seasonal weather

Iawn te! / Right then!

Llun o'm ardal isod / Picture from my area below

Roedd hi'n bwrw eira drwy Dydd Llun a Dydd Mawrth ond rŵan .... mae hi'n diflannu yn gyflym (yn drist) 

*It was snowing through the day on Monday and Tuesday but is now rapidly disappearing sadly*

Roedd yr eira llawer dyfnach uwchben 350m fel arfer! / The snow was much deeper above 350m (not surprised!)

tirwedd.png

• Like 2

Posted
42 minutes ago, Bryn Webster said:

Hello Bryn,

re snefnug.  Such a soft lovely word  for snowflake, yes?  Them Normans got trounced at battle of Crogen, further down the valley towards Chirk, but some interesting research recently think that old Road atop the tops between us and Llangollen might have more than a bit of Roman about it.  Not completely welsh myself, Sicilian, morrocan, Flemish via Lancastrian weavers and Gaelic Welsh, but the valley is welcoming to all now and thrives on it.  

hope your return to God’s own brings you much happiness and good health!  

• Like 3

Posted
On 10 February 2020 at 15:41, Sky Full said:

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but forewarned is forearmed as they say.....  Looks like we could be in for a repeat of this weather next weekend. 

This would be another long lasting wind and rain event affecting the whole country.  What chances another named storm within 7 days of Ciara....?

The weather models had this in their sights six days ahead so that's pretty good really.   There's not much to add to the national weather forecasts about Storm Dennis except to say that the peak gusts around the Welsh coast and inland are most likely to occur an hour or so either side of 5:00 PM tomorrow.  Up to 70mph gusts possible anywhere on the coast but once again the Llyn peninsula and Anglesey could be the worst hit:

image.thumb.png.45cd36e1c213a1c3c4606c53531c6283.png

.....and the accumulated rainfall over the next 48 hours is expected to peak at around 12cm for the Beacons and maybe 9cm widely in other areas:

image.thumb.png.92cc5ae523f344185d99f1a19e49c8cc.png

This is bound to make travel difficult and disruption is likely with flooding again a possibility.  At least it's a weekend but a pity it's the start of half-term holidays for most.  Perhaps a respite over the following few days with less rain and wind, and more in the way of sunshine, but I'm still looking for a longer settled spell so we can all recover from this relentless Atlantic weather.....

• Like 1

Posted

This morning was atrocious for rain downpour, but very mild, almost warm in the rain.  Now, at 13:20 it’s off and on rain being gusted through, not overly strong winds but the odd door rattler.  Looking at radar, our little patch of Gods own is not getting the brunt of the rain.  May it remain so.  

• Like 2

Posted

No it don’t remain so.  Back to heavy rain, not as windy though.  Small mercies and all that.....

• Like 1

Posted

The worst might be over for me - with any luck.....  The wind and rain seem to have gradually eased although still raining with quite strong gusts and the trees are still copping it.   I haven't ventured out since this morning to see what the roads look like but I expect it's been dire in some places.  The rainfall total must be really accumulating now and all that water has to go somewhere - I really hope we can avoid more disastrous flooding but it must be a possibility in the next couple of days.  Please please can we have a week of calm dry weather - the sun doesn't have to come out, just make it dry??   Enough is enough.

• Like 1

Posted

I thought the worst was over here a couple of hours ago as the wind and the rain seemed to be easing off.   I was wrong.  Torrential rain has returned and looks to be set in - possibly for the night looking at the radar.  This is as heavy as its been all day and it appears to moving north east.  I can only hope that it subsides before river levels in sensitive areas are inundated.  The roads must be awful but at least it's a weekend.  

Posted

hi now  looking at the radar stay safe  not looking at all nice

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, tinybill said:

hi now  looking at the radar stay safe  not looking at all nice

It's no exaggeration to say that these conditions are terrible.  14 hours of pretty much non-stop rain now, most of it heavy, accompanied by strong gusty winds, and looking like another six hours to come.  I haven't been out since this morning but even then the main roads were inundated with puddles on both sides generally meeting in the middle of the road.  I am really not looking forward to seeing more footage of people being flooded again but it now seems inevitable that this will be making news in the morning.  I will not be sorry to see the back of February 2020.

• Like 3

Posted

Hi, I’m in central Swansea by the beach. It’s absolutely pouring and the wind is howling; conditions are atrocious and been this way for hours now.
Not looking forward to seeing the impact of Dennis by tomorrow evening