Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

This weather is highly welcomed after the dross of early June.....spent the afternoon at Bosherston Lily ponds and Broad Haven beach - what a beautiful country we live in!  It's a lovely sunny evening now and I can't believe there is NO RAIN in the forecast for the next seven days!.   Bring on the rest of July and let's hope the sunny weather can continue for another eight weeks!

Posted

Although I am having difficulty believing it, this is the 13th day in a row without rain here.  It looks like we could get a shower before the end of the week but even so, that's been a lovely spell of dry weather which is a rare treat.   Grass growing conditions have been very good this year due to the warm weather early in the year followed by the wet spring and the surrounding meadows have been alive with activity during the sunny weather as the silage is cut and baled before it rains again!  However, I am concerned that there appears to be an absence of bees for some reason.  Not sure what's happened but the usually busy insects are conspicuously missing here - even the buddleia is almost untouched.  We have the odd one here and there but the numbers are significantly down.  A local bee keeper feels that the poor weather in June has confused the poor things but hopefully they will get back to normal behaviour again soon!

Edited by Sky Full

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

We've had some rain here over the last few days but nothing significant and not enough to change the well-below-average totals for this area to date this summer.  Looks like some further rain is due on Friday so this will help the growers and gardeners but next week there are indications of another spell of warm or even hot weather.  This will probably not affect western-most areas as much so we won't suffer in 30c+ temperatures here but, even so, 2019 is beginning to look like delivering quite a reasonable summer even if June was disappointing overall.  Still worried about the lack of bees though.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

We haven’t had as many bees this summer and we are in a big bee keeping area, but generally insect count down.  Increasing numbers of hover fly, which is good.  Next to no cabbage whites or butterflies in general.  Went to a talk by a young bug expert who thinks a) pesticides and b) climate change In that many of our insects migrate up to us in spring and Down to south in autumn, carried on wind.  However, up in the lanes on the tops, plenty of action  among the harebells, wild pea, yarrow and clovers, so that’s what we will be growing in our forest garden or next season.

• Like 2

Posted

Plenty of bumblebees and hoverflies but not many honey bees. Nowhere near the numbers of butterflies sat in the garden for an hour this afternoon and counted 4 (wife is the butterfly person and keeps records of what they are) and this is a garden of plants and flowers that if they do not attract insects they have no place. We also got 3 water features from a pond to a tin bath to half a barrel (fish only in the pond rest for insects).

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Loadsa2000 said:

Plenty of bumblebees and hoverflies but not many honey bees. Nowhere near the numbers of butterflies sat in the garden for an hour this afternoon and counted 4 (wife is the butterfly person and keeps records of what they are) and this is a garden of plants and flowers that if they do not attract insects they have no place. We also got 3 water features from a pond to a tin bath to half a barrel (fish only in the pond rest for insects).

I like the sound of your water features!  You got to have em for insects etc.  I built a pond in March and filled it in April and then we've been planting it as fast as we can.  I wanted wildlife but the boss wanted a few fish so we put in six small ones.  We've had great fun watching them but the best thing has been the dragonflies - at least four different types and at least two have laid eggs.  On the downside the sunny weather has brought the blanket weed but we've managed to keep it under control without chemicals.  It's been a real hot day here today (yesterday was cloudy, drizzly and windy!) and a few butterflies have been around but nothing like last year.  We've got a huge buddliea and I've hardly seen anything on it this year.  Last year it was covered in butterflies so perhaps it's just a problem this year only?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Massive lightning, some thunder and very intense rainfall near the airport just before midnight. What a storm!

Posted

Thunderstorm`s of the years,well of the past few years at night with frequent lightning and thunder,I was up till 2am thunder hungry after a very slow start to the year.

Rainfall was only heavy at most mostly moderate light.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Whilst the exciting late night  thunderstorm didn’t really clear the air today, it was muggy most of am into pm, it is now a lovely summer, mugginessless evening.  And with the sun moved round to the back of the hill, almost calls for a cardigan.....  enjoying glass of Galician  baixa white wine before cooking Padrón peppers and garlicky prawns to celebrated husband’s birthday, lemon Almond tart with passion fruit and mango curd filling for pud.

• Like 2

Posted

Thunderstorms missed us today, although could hear rumbling.  A bit heaty on dog walks, but now, with temps in Llangollen around apparently 29, again, in Glyn valley quite temperate, cooling little breeze running around, blue sky, red clouds.  Supper alfresco again.  Soooooooo glad I live not in urban area or south east.

BDE0FEBC-33B4-44AC-A361-5279752F7FAC.jpeg

5DD9FDFE-3116-4BCD-A70E-753A3C3BC82A.jpeg

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 1

Posted

I know we get plenty of c**p weather here in the west, rain and strong winds etc, but at this moment there is nowhere else I'd rather be.  It's been a lovely summers day, sunny, light breeze and 20-21c - pretty perfect really.  I am sitting watching three woodpeckers move from one nut feeder to the next while the sparrows and nuthatches await their turn.  The bees have returned again and we have had plenty of butterflies in the garden.  Earlier, a large green dragonfly visited the pond and was laying eggs for about 20 minutes.  No rain here for a change, although its forecast to return by Tuesday.  Not to worry, as I think think this summer has delivered some really good weather to our region already and we don't want to be greedy!

• Like 1

Posted

Well said Sky Full. I'm currently on my holidays staying in Freshwater East down in Pembrokeshire. I have just spent the day on the beach and when the sun was out is was scorching! Certainly felt hotter than 21 degrees. Might get a little unsettled from Monday for a few days but looking good again tomorrow. After Tuesday l think things will settle down again. Certainly no washout. Good summer once again

• Like 1

Posted

Not so today, a very refreshing day of cooling rain and mizzle.  Yippee,  no watering of veg beds and a cooler sleeping night, perhaps even a fire in the log burner?

Edited by snefnug
Spieling error
  • Like 1

Posted

Log fires!  Goodness, it must get cold up there in those hills!  It's been a (another) beautiful day here - sunny and warm - just about the perfect weather for me (during the summer, at least!).  Had to go down to the vets in St Clears earlier (not for me personally, you understand) and afterwards drove down to Laugharne (one of the locations for the TV series 'Keeping Faith').  Such a lovely place and a very romantic castle ruin.  Walked down to Dylan Thomas' boat house and enjoyed the view with the tide racing out.  The sky was covered in fair weather clouds and there was very little breeze so in sheltered spots it was really pretty hot at times.   I can't help feeling we will be made to pay heavily for all this lovely weather - and maybe not too long to wait either.....

Posted

Sun goes behind hill at back by evening and house is cool because we keep the blinds down am.  But all excuses really, , we love a fire when sun goes down...

lovely balmy Lammastide, hints of autumn, Rowan trees heavy with fruit, wild raspberry fruiting, blackberrys and elderberries ripening, long hazy filaments of  spider’s silk lacing the air.  Hedges heavy with filberts, butterflies, mainly the painted ladies, here, some peacocks, far fewer butterflies in all this year.  Two frogs in our new pond.  Life is good.

if I could tear my backside away from the Ceiriog Valley, laugharne is numero uno onthe list.  

Happy Lammas!

• Like 1

Posted

Hi guys was looking for a bit of advice from anyone local to the beacons, we are suppose to be traveling up from the south coast today to do the "big one" Brecon walk on sat, met office are predicting pretty strong winds, was just wondering if anyone local would be able to give any advice as to how safe it's going to be up there on sat ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow
48 minutes ago, coxxy22 said:

Hi guys was looking for a bit of advice from anyone local to the beacons, we are suppose to be traveling up from the south coast today to do the "big one" Brecon walk on sat, met office are predicting pretty strong winds, was just wondering if anyone local would be able to give any advice as to how safe it's going to be up there on sat ??

Heavy rain and winds up to 70mph ...have a look at met office .....

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah was just looking at their forecast for the beacons, we have cancelled now, it's not worth risking it, the winds sound way to strong, have to look for a decent window in Sept, looks like the next couple of weekends are going to be similar, gonna be really exposed on them peaks especially pen y fan @886m

Edited by coxxy22
At more
  • Like 1

Posted

Heavy rain overnight and about 40 minutes of mostly lightning, with some thunder, from 03.30. Cloud is darkening as the rain band approaches from the southwest. Radar has it just coming over the Bristol Channel. Should be hitting the Vale of Glamorgan presently. Blustery too. I’ll be just checking around the farm today and making sure structures are storm proofed. 

Posted
On 1 August 2019 at 19:08, Sky Full said:

......   I can't help feeling we will be made to pay heavily for all this lovely weather - and maybe not too long to wait either.....

....and the payback has duly arrived.  We now have a spell of very wet and stormy conditions, not that unusual - for October or even November maybe.  A pretty violent day for the month August though, with trees in full leaf and with the strongest gusts forecast for after midday in this area I am a little concerned for some of the trees around here.  If this is anything to do with the increasing effects of 'climate change' then it doesn't bode well for the winter when the atmosphere is likely to be even more volatile.  There are some early signs that we may get a repeat of this next weekend as well so I'll be checking everything that could come loose and putting away the garden chairs.....

On 4 August 2019 at 21:45, snefnug said:

Sun goes behind hill at back by evening and house is cool because we keep the blinds down am.  But all excuses really, , we love a fire when sun goes down...

Likewise - only joking really.  You can't have too many log fires!

Two frogs in our new pond. 

Would love to see them!  Haven't seen a single frog in my pond since I filled it and planted it in April.  Maybe I shouldn't have put in those fish....

Happy Lammas!

..And to you!

Posted

Yes, the wind here has been unusually strong and the trees have suffered as a result. We’ve had leaves and fruit blown about  and it’s made a bit of a mess. There were a fair few branches down, and the odd tree too, when I was out with the dog for a long walk earlier. Luckily we’ve missed a lot of the showers today or that might’ve meant less grip for the roots in very wet ground. 

Posted

Not that unusual wind strength today not for gusts anyway,mean wind was though does less damage like that.

2007 gave damaging gales that summer a few times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

It's getting to that point in the year where you can see Autumn slowly creeping in.

Not long now!

• Like 2

Posted

Think autumn slipped in through the cat flap. I had a wool neck snood on yesterday late afternoon, distinctly cool air when sun slipped round back of Nantyr Hill.

• Like 1