Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
1 minute ago, Jackfrost said:

I don't mean to single out anybody in particular but this negativity is both baffling and tiresome. It is still moving north and it is beginning to pivot: look at what the eastern part of it over France is doing. Yes, I admit it's arrived a little later than most of us had expected but fundamentally, nothing has changed at all.

People were saying in work that it would come by 11 am but i said there was no chance of that , it was always coming after 3 for me and thats why i never looked at the radar in work .

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

I don't mean to single out anybody in particular but this negativity is both baffling and tiresome. It is still moving north and it is beginning to pivot: look at what the eastern part of it over France is doing. Yes, I admit it's arrived a little later than most of us had expected but fundamentally, nothing has changed at all.

Moderately heavy snow here and settling on all surfaces.

Couldn't agree more.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, snowy36 said:

People were saying in work that it would come by 11 am but i said there was no chance of that , it was always coming after 3 for me and thats why i never looked at the radar in work .

11? Yes, that was far too early. I also feel that schools in the Valleys overreacted slightly by closing soon after lunchtime. Like I said, it has arrived a bit later than expected, and actual falling snow was delayed by evaporation for an hour or so, but it was always meant to be an evening event.

Posted

Throwing it down here, only really started like it meant it about 15 minutes ago, but everything except the roads are white 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

I don't mean to single out anybody in particular but this negativity is both baffling and tiresome. It is still moving north and it is beginning to pivot: look at what the eastern arm of the front over France is doing. Yes, I admit it's arrived a little later than most of us had expected but fundamentally, nothing has changed at all.

Moderately snow here and settling on all surfaces.

It's not negativity it's viewing what the radar is showing. It's an observation not a critisism.. We will soon know

Posted
7 minutes ago, PompeyFC said:

It's not negativity it's viewing what the radar is showing. It's an observation not a critisism.. We will soon know

Well, I'm looking at presumably the same radars as you (Met Office and Netweather), and I'm watching the system move slowly north with the western end moving northwards at a slower pace than the eastern side, which signifies the beginning of the pivot. Regarding the decay in intensity, this is inevitable to an extent when a moisture-laden front in our climate runs into stationary cold air as cold air saps moisture. Those yellow accents currently over Southern England will make it to South Wales, and they're likely to be somewhat reinvigorated by the high ground here. The precipitation to the south of Wales is indeed weakening but, due to the pivot, it will soon begin to feed in from a southeasterly direction.

So try not to panic. 

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 3

Posted

I have a hedgehog cam in my garden and have had to turn it off otherwise I'll be bombarded with images all night.  I have set it to take photos at 10 minute intervals.

595676601_Screenshot2019-01-31at17_50_04.thumb.png.fcb7f4663709a4aed9f6c953dea6b748.png

• Like 2

Posted

It's absolutely chucking down here in Tredegar.  Started very light about 4.30pm, had to go to Merthyr and got heavier as I headed there.  Came back and my road in my street already had a covering ❄️❄️ 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

Well, I'm looking at presumably the same radars as you (Met Office and Netweather), and I'm watching the system move slowly north with the western end moving northwards at a slower pace than the eastern side, which looks just like the beginning of the pivot to me. Regarding the decay in intensity, this is inevitable to an extent when a moisture-laden front in our climate runs into stationary cold air as cold air saps moisture. Those yellow accents currently over Southern England will make it to South Wales, and they're likely to be somewhat reinvigorated by the high ground here. The precipitation to the south of Wales is indeed weakening but, due to the pivot, it will soon begin to feed in from a southeasterly direction.

So try not to panic. 

I do understand this having been on this site for 10 years but I've also seen similar situations. My glass is still half full dude ;)

Posted
2 minutes ago, PompeyFC said:

I do understand this having been on this site for 10 years but I've also seen similar situations. My glass is still half full dude ;)

But what was u expecting!!!!!! I thought the most someone would get in south wales was between 5 and 8cm and i think that will be close.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Coming down nicely here in Cardiff, settling on cars and pavements...that band of ppn to the south looks nice hoping it comes this way!

• Like 1

Posted

In llanishen which is north cardiff so within the Amber zone. Side streets totally white and snow coming down nicely. From what I see on the met office the heaviest precipitation is for the next 3 or 4 hours. Think south cardiff struggling to get a dusting at the moment but that should change soon

• Like 1