Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Temp rising steadily ..now 1.7c here in Rhoose, more likely a rain/sleet event for me on the coast

Edited by Phantom2

Posted

not even a hint of the frost melting in blackwood area .. it's just waiting for some snow to stick , and yes, if the temperatures don't rise too much, it'll be crazy

over Exeter there is some sleet a couple of hours ahead of the main front, well if such a scenario continues we'll be seeing rain/snow approaching midday hitting the costs 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters
29 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

10-15 cm is 10-15 cm, regardless of whether the warning is amber or yellow! Still, I'm around 70% confident an amber warning will go out this morning for Southeast Wales and the southern part of Mid Wales.

I agree, there will probably be a small amber warning area created later this morning, once they've been able to observe the behaviour of the ppn and conversion to snow. The models do not give sufficient clarity alone - only observations will count (also known as nowcasting!) 

Could be that ppn will be long lasting, giving decent totals, but if it falls slowly and steadily over a long timeframe, the actual impact on transport etc. is very much reduced. So might just stay yellow.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Selliso said:

I agree, there will probably be a small amber warning area created later this morning, once they've been able to observe the behaviour of the ppn and conversion to snow. The models do not give sufficient clarity alone - only observations will count (also known as nowcasting!) 

Could be that ppn will be long lasting, giving decent totals, but if it falls slowly and steadily over a long timeframe, the actual impact on transport etc. is very much reduced. So might just stay yellow.

yep, I am hoping for an amber warning for Blizzards 

Posted

Still -2.1C at home - grey sky so no real signs of a significant warm up as yet

Posted

Just been told school is closing early and have to pick my daughter up at 2pm today here in ystradgynlais, ahead of the forecasted weather 

Edited by Gee

Posted

Still -2 in Merthyr and very frosty , awaiting the text from the school most are closing early here . I for one needs to get to pontyclun for 7.45am tomorrow for work , somehow I can't see it happening

Posted

Well work have made it clear to us that unless we're living in the valleys, we're not being allowed home early... Plus I then have slimming world from 5.30... Any ideas of timing yet to se Wales? Seems conflicting info out there, and the front looks very slow moving! 

Posted
11 minutes ago, RhysWales said:

Well work have made it clear to us that unless we're living in the valleys, we're not being allowed home early... Plus I then have slimming world from 5.30... Any ideas of timing yet to se Wales? Seems conflicting info out there, and the front looks very slow moving! 

very slow moving is good - stall speeds lead to large falls

• Like 1

Posted

An amber warning has been issued. The maximum depth, 10 cm, seems a bit undercooked to me, but time will tell.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?region=wl&date=2019-01-31&regionType=area

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
11 minutes ago, andymusic said:

very slow moving is good - stall speeds lead to large falls

Yes Andy front haven't pivoted yet.which is slowing it's progression northwards

• Like 1

Posted

still not agreeing BBC and Met

BBC still saying light snow but have posted this

Amber warning of snow

Updated 31 January at 10:23 GMT

From

14:00 GMT on Thu 31 January

To

21:00 GMT on Thu 31 January

Heavy snow likely on Thursday afternoon and evening.

- Travel delays on roads are likely, stranding some vehicles and passengers

- Some delays and cancellations to rail travel are likely

- There is a good chance that some rural communities could become cut off

- Power cuts are likely and other services, such as mobile phone coverage, may be affected

DyO30F5WwAA5a33.jpg

Edited by Loadsa2000

Posted

so a warning between 2pm and 9pm for heavy snow, 10cm ? -- given the potential drifts, that could be a whole lot more in some places, and have they accounted for the fact that its still below freezing in the valleys ? Frost still thick, any fine icy snow will soon really drift. I am sure there is already a few smidgens of snow floating around the valleys from some ominous clouds

Edited by ancientsolar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Well I'm just inside the amber warning but my temp is up to 2.4C now.. hope it doesn't go any higher otherwise my snow chances go! Just ordered myself a new weather station also, which is about time, so I'm excited for that to come! If it starts as rain here, I'll head up to the Bwlch to see some initial snow and get some nice pictures! I refuse to go without snowfall this winter

Posted
18 minutes ago, thetipster said:

seems about right

warc.jpg

Dam you lot stealing my snow with your mountains....