Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
5 minutes ago, ancientsolar said:

anyone else have a guess ?

Yep........it won't snow in Swansea (again)

Posted

The biggest snow event since THE BEAST FROM THE EAST is coming...

Although this looks more like last December`s setup but nowhere near as much snow as that but winds could be stronger to then.

Already -4.0c

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

The biggest snow event since THE BEAST FROM THE EAST is coming...

Although this looks more like last December`s setup but nowhere near as much snow as that but winds could be stronger to then.

Already -4.0c

December as in 2017? 

Posted
44 minutes ago, ancientsolar said:

I don't know how long it will take to stick tomorrow, perhaps there will be one or 2 showers ahead of the snow

Blackwood area currently, I don't know the temperatures, but a frost has already developed on the bins and bus shelter
May'be we could be looking at such a thick frost it could help to keep the ground cool all day ? 
I really wish I had a thermometer .. surely there's one here somewhere o,o --- yes I found a thermostat!! welcome to the family 

It’s currently -3 here in Blackwood! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: sun and snow
1 minute ago, Winteriscoming said:

As in 2010? In Swansea that is

I remember that winter, the white christmas.. I was the General Manager at Odyssey Nightclub on Wind St, snow started on Black Friday night around 10pm, I left Swansea at around 4am to drive home to Newport, where I lived at the time, took me 8 hours. Was terrible conditions on M4

Posted

It’s going to be a long night....like waiting for Xmas!!

i will still be up lamp post watching through the night,you know just in case!!!

Posted
3 minutes ago, ancientsolar said:

oooh a fellow Blackwoodian! 
so -3 ~~ frost is starting to form on the pavements ! 

Yes! Frost definitely forming on all surfaces,just what we want for the snow to stick!

Posted
13 minutes ago, whiskers said:

It’s going to be a long night....like waiting for Xmas!!

i will still be up lamp post watching through the night,you know just in case!!!

that's what I do, but the lamposts go off at 1am  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain
56 minutes ago, Pembroke Dangler said:

And still no amber warning for snow anywhere and looking at the icon accumulation charts ^^ above there should be a red warning for pretty much the heads of the valleys 

met office are issuing warnings relative to severity tomorrow after tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Went from 4 heavy snow symbols on the metoffice website to sleet :(( despite every model showing snow for Cardiff ? I’m hoping it changes tomorrow as it’s indicative that their model is showing a very marginal setup 

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
2 minutes ago, Panayiotis said:

Went from 4 heavy snow symbols on the metoffice website to sleet :(( despite every model showing snow for Cardiff ? I’m hoping it changes tomorrow as it’s indicative that their model is showing a very marginal setup 

it's not easy for the coast as the sea temperatures make an impact, I think the same has been happening for Swansea throughout the night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

Evening All 

well it's certainly looking like South, East and Mid Wales are going to get some pretty decent coverage tomorrow. 

Favoured spots are as always elevation and exposure to the SE. 

Heads of the Valleys look to be in the firing line as they were for our last snowfalls in March. 

If I was a betting man I would say Brynmawr is my favoured location for the biggest totals, closely followed by Ebbw Vale and Tredegar 

Here in Aberdare I'm expecting a decent cover but with some protection from the East I don't expect more than 5-10cms max here 

We shall see. T minus 14 hours 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: sun and snow
Just now, JamesL said:

Evening All 

well it's certainly looking like South, East and Mid Wales are going to get some pretty decent coverage tomorrow. 

Favoured spots are as always elevation and exposure to the SE. 

Heads of the Valleys look to be in the firing line as they were for our last snowfalls in March. 

If I was a betting man I would say Brynmawr is my favoured location for the biggest totals, closely followed by Ebbw Vale and Tredegar 

Here in Aberdare I'm expecting a decent cover but with some protection from the East I don't expect more than 5-10cms max here 

We shall see. T minus 14 hours 

As I live in Brynmawr, that's music to my ears lol. Good luck tomorrow 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Has anyone else seen 'derektheweather' tweet not long ago, it seems even us coastal dwellers can now have some hope 

It seems Met office have me down for heavy rain tomorrow afternoon and BBC weather have me down for heavy snow in Pembroke

I'll have to wait until morning to see if Met Office upgrade me or not 

• Like 1

Posted

What is very encouraging is the fact the ground temp will be close to freezing once precip starts thanks to a penetrating and severe frost for many rural areas tonight 

Posted

It is important that people differentiate the met office forecast from that of the BBC. As you know the BBC no longer use Met office data so that's why there is disparity between the two  

Edited by JamesL

Posted
4 minutes ago, JamesL said:

It is important that people differentiate the met office forecast from that of the BBC. As you know the BBC no longer use Met office data so that's why there is disparity between the two  

I know they use 2 different systems, Met office has 'flip flopped' me all day at every update between hail, snow and rain. Tonight I've ended up with rain. Hence the 'zipped' mouth until I see the model runs for the morning. The other day I was hopeful of a flake or two of snow as the rain predicted was due to last well into the afternoon and 12 lunchtime was the clincher for me on the coast as that was when the upper atmospherics would be conducive to me getting a chance at some 'possible' snow.

As it was that weather system zipped through us much faster than forecast and was sunny by lunchtime just as the temps would have been more favourable.

We have cloud due through the night which will raise the temp to approx 4C and I might just end up with no snow but at the moment even on the coast we have a temp of -1.1C and a dew point of - 2.09C  

The upper atmosphere is cold even for us, for a change and I'm just hoping it stays cold enough for a days snow... 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, JamesL said:

It goes to show they are not on the same page any more , it really adds confusion to whats going to happen . I'm not even sure what the bbc use any more , i know its suppose to be the ECW but it doesn't look like it. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jen Beachcomber said:

I know they use 2 different systems, Met office has 'flip flopped' me all day at every update between hail, snow and rain. Tonight I've ended up with rain. Hence the 'zipped' mouth until I see the model runs for the morning. The other day I was hopeful of a flake or two of snow as the rain predicted was due to last well into the afternoon and 12 lunchtime was the clincher for me on the coast as that was when the upper atmospherics would be conducive to me getting a chance at some 'possible' snow.

As it was that weather system zipped through us much faster than forecast and was sunny by lunchtime just as the temps would have been more favourable.

We have cloud due through the night which will raise the temp to approx 4C and I might just end up with no snow but at the moment even on the coast we have a temp of -1.1C and a dew point of - 2.09C  

The upper atmosphere is cold even for us, for a change and I'm just hoping it stays cold enough for a days snow... 

Where on the coast are you from? 

Posted
5 minutes ago, JamesL said:

Where on the coast are you from? 

The clue is under my name James, Pembroke, West Wales coast. Go the very end of the M4 and keep going until you get to the sea. I live on the edge of town and approx (as the crow flies) 3 miles from the coast x