Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
6 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Turning to snow here in CF14.

Fingers crossed it stays as snow,nothing here yet 

Posted

Sleet here.

It's chilly at the moment but the real cold air is tied up in the front so don't expect to see any meaningful snow just yet. That said, @whiskers, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, I really don't think there'll be enough snow anywhere in Wales to close schools today! Thursday, however, is a different matter.

Posted

Looks like rain here despite radar being pink! Glad really cos I've got to get to Newport for work and am running a training session today! I love snow but for once I'm glad it's not here! Hopefully will hold off til this afternoon if we do get any that settles as I don't fancy driving home in it!  

Posted
1 minute ago, Jackfrost said:

Sleet here.

It's chilly at the moment but the real cold air is tied up in the front so don't expect to see any meaningful snow just yet. That said, @whiskers, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, I really don't think there'll be enough snow anywhere in Wales to close schools today! Thursday, however, is a different matter.

I can wait till Thursday,is that due Thursday morning? 

Posted
14 minutes ago, whiskers said:

I can wait till Thursday,is that due Thursday morning? 

Yes, the morning (and throughout the day and evening) seems likely as things stand. The Valleys could see 10-20 cm, but don't quote me on that.

Also, it's definitely sleet rather than plain rain here. It's very fine at the moment because it's light, but you can see it if it you look closely at a streetlight. Bodes well, and the latest BBC Wales forecast is, if anything, a small upgrade with continuous snow as far south as around Trefforest.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

3.7c and rain, not really expecting much today as temps rise with daytime, but looking forward to Thursday's potential!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales

Same here, 1.5 degrees and rain and temperatures will lift. If nothing happens today I hope Thursday comes to fruition as predicted for my neck of the woods.

Posted

I'm baffled by some of this negativity, and I say that as somebody who's very grounded when it comes to predictions of snow. Come on everyone! The Met Office's warning doesn't even kick in until midday and yes, while the temperatures will rise very slightly this morning, they'll fall back again as the afternoon wears on, allowing the precipitation to turn to snow down to fairly low levels.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
3 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

I'm baffled by some of this negativity, and I say that as somebody who's very grounded when it comes to predictions of snow. Come on everyone! The Met Office's warning doesn't even kick in until midday and yes, while the temperatures will rise very slightly this morning, they'll fall back again as the afternoon wears on, allowing the precipitation to turn to snow down to fairly low levels.

Have you never heard of reverse logic?

Edited by CRACKPOT
Oops

Posted
1 minute ago, CRACKPOT said:

Have you never heard of reverse logic?

Do you mean reverse psychology? In that case, carry on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow
8 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

I think everyone is down beat after the 10 day charts never verifying and the ground hog day of a winter we've had so far. Don't get me wrong we've had wetter winters than this but it's not usually this boring lol. I think we've been spoilt from last March and now snow showers r not good enough any more we want them 10ft drifts back

Posted

Not expecting much here in ystradgynlais today. Probably see some flakes and a bit of slush. Thursday is going to be the one this week. 

Just seen Carol on this morning's weather. Expecting a good 8 hours plus looking at her forecast for Thursday, over all of wales. 

Our time is getting closer. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/blizzard

Why does the bbc video forecast show heavy snow thursday with a temps of 5-6c ?? Just dont get it!!

Posted
3 minutes ago, freeze for all said:

I think everyone is down beat after the 10 day charts never verifying and the ground hog day of a winter we've had so far. Don't get me wrong we've had wetter winters than this but it's not usually this boring lol. I think we've been spoilt from last March and now snow showers r not good enough any more we want them 10ft drifts back

That's fair enough. I admit this winter has been very uninspiring so far, as were the four almost entirely snow-free winters preceding 2017-18; a record run of snowless winters for me, bar the odd few flakes here and there. That said, today's event (and Thursday's, in all probability) have made it out of modelling hell to become nowcasting events, so all is not lost.

Posted

Bwlch is white with snow and my garden has slight sticking, but it's a mix of sleet and snow down here but top of bwlch looks very white.

• Like 1

Posted

cold will kick in - in the next few hours and with the heavier front

storey arms has snow on the ground

highest point, rhymney and ebbw vale has snow on the ground

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Warnings to be issued today for Thursday, what you think?

I would have thought so yes - euro4 also predicting a rash of wintry showers after the front which should still switch before moving off right through the rest of today and into tomorrow

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow

Snow on ground here..foggy in valley ..

• Like 2