Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Andy brutal cold about to hit Northern Europe from Joe B zonal wind reversal due to strat warming cannot produce link on this mobile.Nice to see heavy sleet/snow showers for Tuesday forecasted just  now, being heavy and giving a good covering for Northern and central Wales ,how many showers can get to south Wales is another thing,being the wind is more westerly than Northerly

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Wowsers!  no pic, but a rather amazing Wolf moon tonight. 

Posted
40 minutes ago, snefnug said:

Wowsers!  no pic, but a rather amazing Wolf moon tonight. 

Lunar eclipse due tomorrow no doubt it will cloudy lol.

• Like 1

Posted

Haven't posted on NW in 3 years due to other things in life taking precedent, but having read the model threads recently (I see nothing's changed on there!), decided I'd sign back in to join you all for the rest of winter! Originally from Cambridgeshire but currently reside in Swansea. Had a fantastic winter last year in my previous location in North Staffordshire but I do remember the big snow event which delivered plenty of snow for parts of Wales at the start of March last year! Whilst it's disappointing that the previously snowy looking charts aren't going to materialise, I feel that various components are tilted in our favour for a decent cold spell to occur sometime within the next couple of months. 

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted
2 hours ago, dyl232 said:

Is this for high grounds Andy?

meto have us down for a freezing level of 200m and showers of snow down to valley level

Posted
1 hour ago, keithlucky said:

Andy brutal cold about to hit Northern Europe from Joe B zonal wind reversal due to strat warming cannot produce link on this mobile.Nice to see heavy sleet/snow showers for Tuesday forecasted just  now, being heavy and giving a good covering for Northern and central Wales ,how many showers can get to south Wales is another thing,being the wind is more westerly than Northerly

think you'll have a better chance than me - western and northerly facing parts of Wales will do well with this set up but Tuesday afternoon looks good for a hefty shower or three practically anywhere in Wales

Posted
29 minutes ago, keithlucky said:

Lunar eclipse due tomorrow no doubt it will cloudy lol.

Piers Corbyn likes to base his weather forecasts around the Lunar cycles and eclipses - let's hope this Lunar eclipse WOLF Blood red moon helps to get the ssw really moving it's butt lol

Posted

gfs 12z - is it pulling our chain or delivering oodles of snowy goodness from around next Saturday onwards - tune in later to find out more lol

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, keithlucky said:

Yep Joe B still convinced that the UK will be covered in the white stuff in the next few weeks - so much that we'll be able to get that famous satellite picture again where the whole country was white

Posted

I’ll be happy if snow can hold off until I’ve been to Snow Patrol on Friday in Birmingham,really don’t fancy the journey in the snow xx

oh and Neath down the heads of the valley on Wednesday x

Posted
8 minutes ago, judowidow said:

I’ll be happy if snow can hold off until I’ve been to Snow Patrol on Friday in Birmingham,really don’t fancy the journey in the snow xx

oh and Neath down the heads of the valley on Wednesday x

think you'll be fine this week

latest charts - euro 4 always a little more reserved about snow possibilities - so expand the pink areas a tad at least

image.thumb.png.1b907abb452f4e478d9b194ef5e33f8c.png

updated snow gif.gif

think the snow showers will beef up a lot more in the afternoon too

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

think you'll be fine this week

latest charts - euro 4 always a little more reserved about snow possibilities - so expand the pink areas a tad at least

image.thumb.png.1b907abb452f4e478d9b194ef5e33f8c.png

updated snow gif.gif

Thank you Andy, I won’t mind after the weekend I’ll even go out and do a snow dance

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Well not expecting anything down here now, esp with day temps of 4-7c predicted all week for my area, shame but hopefully something good will come up and be more successful after this spell! 

Posted

if anyone really wants to be in some wild weather tomorrow night - head for the beacons and penyfan lol

Rain and summit snow clearing in the early hours then clear spells developing, along with patchy freezing fog in the valleys. A cold, bright start to Monday, but patchy freezing fog in the valleys and also rather cloudy so only limited sunshine. Cloudier in the afternoon with patchy rain, but falling as snow on the summits. Also becoming windy with heavy rain and snow spreading in during the evening. Snow initially over summits, but falling to lower levels, down to 400m later with blizzard conditions developing. 

Heads of the valleys road in the line of fire then at or around 350m - 400m

Posted

For Tuesday

Rain, sleet and snow clearing through the early hours then clear spells and snow showers. Bright or sunny spells on Tuesday with occasional snow showers, but frequent showers through the afternoon. Some heavy snow showers at times, with blizzard conditions at times and perhaps some thunder and lightning, especially across western hills. Some fresh accumulations of snow, especially on the tops with many paths icy. Snow most likely above 200m, but to lower levels in heavy showers

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, andymusic said:

For Tuesday

Rain, sleet and snow clearing through the early hours then clear spells and snow showers. Bright or sunny spells on Tuesday with occasional snow showers, but frequent showers through the afternoon. Some heavy snow showers at times, with blizzard conditions at times and perhaps some thunder and lightning, especially across western hills. Some fresh accumulations of snow, especially on the tops with many paths icy. Snow most likely above 200m, but to lower levels in heavy showers

@andymusic Chepstow?  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
5 minutes ago, andymusic said:

Snow most likely above 200m, but to lower levels in heavy showers

Two trough features were on the fax charts, so not out question to see an area of organised showers push through. It's interesting to note a subtle difference between the ECM/GFS Vs UKMO regarding 850hpa temps, the former's have them 1/2 lower. However, at best a transient cover at low levels anyway. 

• Like 2

Posted

snow accum totals by Wednesday - looking fairly healthy across the uk - so some of us may well see snow certainly and some may get some settling too

image.thumb.png.447688970bd20b9dd606ef64aaa4a252.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: sun and snow

Living in Brynmawr at 348m ASL I usually so well with snow, not seen any lying snow since March. Not sure we are going to see any either this week looking at that map Andy. Kids are dying to go sledging lol

Posted
16 minutes ago, Simon SWales said:

Living in Brynmawr at 348m ASL I usually so well with snow, not seen any lying snow since March. Not sure we are going to see any either this week looking at that map Andy. Kids are dying to go sledging lol

Met Office just have a warning out now for snow/ice from midnight tonight to midday tomorrow - although I think that'll be extended right into Wednesday too - snow accumulations of up to 3cms plus and I should think a bit more if drawn out to Wednesday lunchtime - 200m and above - possible accumulations below that height too - so you being in the crows nest lol at 348m shouldn't worry too much - you may get quite a bit tonight as the front moves through - possibly even blizzard conditions - and then lots of showers packing in which will be mostly snow till Wednesday lunchtime at least

euro 4 can sometimes appear a little conservative with the spread of "pinks" - the beeb usually increase the areas on their maps that'll get hit - so I think we all have a good chance of at least seeing some snow - accumulations will vary but the higher up you are the better chance you have of that - it's not winter wonderland feet of snow this time - but at least some of us will finally break our winter duck lol

Edited by andymusic

12 hours ago, MattTarrant said:

Two trough features were on the fax charts, so not out question to see an area of organised showers push through. It's interesting to note a subtle difference between the ECM/GFS Vs UKMO regarding 850hpa temps, the former's have them 1/2 lower. However, at best a transient cover at low levels anyway. 

Yes some organised showers albeit of rain here on the south coast but sleet/snow further inland are showing for a good few hours tomorrow, is this about the time of any of those troughs are expected? 

image.png

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jonathan Rhodri Roberts said:

Yes some organised showers albeit of rain here on the south coast but sleet/snow further inland are showing for a good few hours tomorrow, is this about the time of any of those troughs are expected? 

image.png

good ole sunny Porthcawl - the Benidorm of Wales lol