Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

A few hefty hail showers here today, I can't wait for this groundhog day shower of s##t to dissapear it's depressing waking up to grey wet mornings all the time. We've had countless games called off due to waterlogged pitches already

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

It's a chilly, blustery and wet start this morning.  Seems like we're stuck in a rut with the weather right now.  It's not deterring the bluetits, great tits and sparrows though - they're very busy at the nuts and seeds this morning.  It looks like the winds will fall lighter in the next few hours and hopefully we'll get a couple of hours of sunnier skies - I've really got to get on with some fence repairs today....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Well I'm back in wonderful Wales. Had a brilliant time in New York, was freezing there though. Even had a few snowflakes on the drive through Queens to the Airport yesterday! 

It's quiet in here though considering the potential for colder weather being discussed, are we destined to miss the snow?

Posted
4 hours ago, DeepSnow said:

Well I'm back in wonderful Wales. Had a brilliant time in New York, was freezing there though. Even had a few snowflakes on the drive through Queens to the Airport yesterday! 

It's quiet in here though considering the potential for colder weather being discussed, are we destined to miss the snow?

Welcome home!  You haven't missed anything wintry here but in another thread there're going mad for snow next week.  Don't expect it'll reach me but you might be lucky.  Don't hold your breath though.  It's more likely to happen nearer Christmas I'd say....

Posted

Snow not expected to fall in Wales (Snowdonia excepted) over the weekend according to the ICON:

image.thumb.gif.657c680bb2d6dad5612d795b4196c597.gif

Sadly just rain in the forecast for this area up till Christmas....

Posted

Gales and rain here this morning - but not quite as stormy as I expected.  Maybe we'll see higher wind speeds overnight tonight but after that I hope things will calm down a bit!  Many have reported having snow in other parts of the country but sadly nothing here - we've just got cold, wet and windy rubbish!.

Posted

Eight hours of strong winds for Wales from 5:00pm today:

image.thumb.gif.32126d3433fd25c71e73ba4092a998c9.gif   ...according to the ICON.

A day for staying indoors, I think! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

Bored of this wind and rain now, please bring on the colder weather or just dry for a week or 2 would b great as well

• Like 1

Posted

Temperature up to 1c so no more freezing rain,not as that was much of an issue here.

Severe gales briefly tonight though instead.

Posted

The wind has been very noisy here now for over an hour.  As I was writing this post I heard a very violent gust tear across the roof – I hope nothing fell off!  Before the post was written the internet went down but we still have power – so far.   At least the rain has stopped but I still don’t fancy going outside yet.  There are things banging about outside but they’ll have to wait until morning before I go and investigate….  I don’t have an anemometer but someone in Milford Haven has recorded a maximum gust to date of 134kph and that’s pretty much at sea level so there must be even stronger gusts at higher elevations.  BBC says 600 homes without power now in south Wales. Come on Deirdre, that's enough.  You’ve had your fun, now clear off……   

Internet back now so I can post again!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Blimey! Wind very strong outside, filthy day weather wise.  No snow, mainly cold cold rain. Glad I am now in.  As is wine, as is logs, as is husband, cats and ( had we had a pooch) dogs.  

• Like 3

Posted

I don't think it's as mild as they're forecasting ? Surely winter officially starts 21st December ? Mad thread throwing in the towel already but winter hasn't started yet , I do believe something is afoot the models are toying with the idea of cold .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters
On 19/12/2018 at 09:06, Missdolly said:

I don't think it's as mild as they're forecasting ? Surely winter officially starts 21st December ? Mad thread throwing in the towel already but winter hasn't started yet , I do believe something is afoot the models are toying with the idea of cold .

Agree, there is a lot of interest in background signals this year (many of which I certainly don't understand - but others seem to!) 

SSW with two thirds of the winter still to go should give any snow lovers a reason to be cheerful! Nothing is guaranteed, of course.

Mid to late Jan is where I'd put my money. SSW around 30th Dec, with trop impact 7-14 days later.

Cold air sourced from the east or north east, with several attempts at Atlantic incursion could be very interesting for parts of Wales. 

Here in Trefriw, we actually did very nicely with the Beast in March, seeing over 6" of snow during the spell, and all from an easterly source - I was very surprised! 

Posted
On 21/12/2018 at 10:46, Selliso said:

Agree, there is a lot of interest in background signals this year (many of which I certainly don't understand - but others seem to!) 

SSW with two thirds of the winter still to go should give any snow lovers a reason to be cheerful! Nothing is guaranteed, of course.

Mid to late Jan is where I'd put my money. SSW around 30th Dec, with trop impact 7-14 days later.

Cold air sourced from the east or north east, with several attempts at Atlantic incursion could be very interesting for parts of Wales. 

Here in Trefriw, we actually did very nicely with the Beast in March, seeing over 6" of snow during the spell, and all from an easterly source - I was very surprised! 

We currently stuck with with a fat dull high pressure doing nothing ,Looking forward to massive changes to take effect due to start warming ,Fun and fireworks to start around the 10 of January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Cool but sunny day here, a nice change from drecky rain.  Just seen the gritters out, not sure why as meto has us down for 4 degrees over night.  Mincemeat and pear cake in the oven, as is pork belly for supper, almonds and glass of sherry now as I gird loins to wade through mad thread.  On second thoughts, pour another glass and chillax before spudding up for today and tomorrow.  Merry Christmas , Nadolig Llawen to you all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold snowy winters, thunderstorms

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/what-met-office-says-new-15600961.amp    

A very interesting article - the met office thinks the beast may return :cold-emoji:

Posted
26 minutes ago, The4Seasons said:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/what-met-office-says-new-15600961.amp    

A very interesting article - the met office thinks the beast may return 

Also with a very low solar minimum ,plus Krakow eruption has been raised to a level2 which can reduce global temperature, this occurred in 1982 with a major eruption in Mexico resulting in a very cold January and snowstorms across Wales.