Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
1 hour ago, Wxarchive said:

how high of winds do you Welsh usually need before power cuts start piling up?  Accoring to Marks weather blog in Portland the last winstorm he did a comparison and usually gusts between 50 and 55mph tend to have the 100,000 category.

In our area our electrical providers are Scottish Power and they have vastly improved infrastructure recently.  Last significant wind related outage to my memory was 4years ago.  We get little blips now.  Not enough to stop the clock on the oven but to annoyingly down the WiFi....1st world problem I know.....  when we moved  here 25 years ago, outages far more frequent and longer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

After a few days away we're back in beautiful Pembrokeshire again.  Couldn't wait to get home.  Today has started with a lovely still morning, pink tinged clouds as the sun rises, against an otherwise clear sky.  Hope it stays clear like this but we are promised a generally cloudy week I believe.  However, it looks like we will mainly stay dry this week with light winds until the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Cloudy, damp, mild morning at 14 degrees. Sharp contrast in colours, hedgerows and trees turning their browns and rusts, pole beans still a vibrant green.  Passerines all gone but the cheeky boys are back (long tailed tits), along with bluetits and the robins.  Magpies eating the apples in the trees.

Posted

A right miserable end to the day, rain, rain, rain, in various weights of mizzle, real, low cloud, mist.

Posted

Yes, it's pretty gloomy all right.  Heavy overcast all day today with light rain at times, and definitely colder.  The good thing though - it's pretty calm with only the lightest breeze.  Over the weekend more rain is expected but maybe a bit drier next week.  As you say, the colours seem to be reaching their best - our blueberry bushes are shining out in various shades of red, orange and russet and we have a young cherry tree which has managed to turn almost completely gold.  Love the colours at this time of year and will be pleased if we can avoid stormy winds for another couple of weeks so we get to enjoy them for the longest.

Posted

It's a much better day here now, though, if a little chilly in the enthusiastic breeze.  Lots of blue sky with light cumulus clouds.  Speaking of Autumn colours....

.  image.thumb.jpeg.5fde523f98b8239b898d6598ee0b6011.jpeg  

Edited by Sky Full

Posted

Beautiful if rather chilly day here, foliage magnificent!  Looking at forecast for coming week, moving into warmth, typical as have packed away summer clothing for the season.  

Posted

My goodness.  What a wonderful summers day this is.  Wall to wall sunshine and blue skies.  18C.  Light(ish) breeze.  What a pity we can't have a week of this before the cold, cloudy, wet and windy weather returns.  However, looks like the weekend will bring more typical mid-Autumn conditions with plenty of wind and rainfall.  By Sunday, today will already be a fading memory.....  In the meantime I'm going to get outside for the rest of the day.....

Posted

50mm+ rain likely on Friday for my location.....  60mm+ rain on Saturday and accompanied by winds with gusts perhaps exceeding 60mph at times.   Oh joy.   Bring on Monday, then.  Let's get this weekend over asap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Flood warning info and Amber Met Office warning for Rain on Friday/ Saturday. 

http://www.naturalresources.wales/?lang=en

Press release from Met Office about Amber for Wales https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/2018/amber-rain-warning 

1110mowarnamber.png

1110matrixcallumwales.png

1110wales.png

Posted

The expected rainfall accumulation over the next 60 hours according to the short term models:

WRF     image.thumb.png.2ad2b7a309e4ec4bc4acdde927e1c0f7.png   ARPEGE   image.thumb.png.2d3c7c13d19d3c98376668c09e920363.png

ICON    image.thumb.png.19af4f9cef62673918f0f788da4c900b.png        GFS     image.thumb.gif.7f9357b378ab8fc97c3d60fafb268caa.gif

Wales and the Lake District to cop the heaviest rainfall totals.  Particularly in the Brecon Beacons where the GFS expects 130mm+ in two days.  For many areas in Wales this will amount to a months rain in two days so some local flooding is likely particularly in low lying areas, hence the yellow and amber weather warnings issued.  It's a little annoying because the track of storm Callum is way off in the Atlantic to the north west of Northern Ireland but all this associated windy wet weather is tracking across Cardigan Bay in its wake.....

• Thanks 1

Posted

I have been woken by the noise of heavy rain being driven horizontally at the window by strong gusty winds.  I'm wondering if I will get any more sleep tonight.  The rainfall amount is expected to increase over the next three hours as are the wind gusts.  The roads around here are going to be a mess in the morning.

Posted

Glaw trwm heddiw yn dilyn diwrnod o law trwm bore ddoe gyda’r tir yn wlyb sopen yn barod! Llifogydd ar y ffordd dros y dyddiau nesaf.....

More heavy rain today followed by a heavy deluge yesterday with the ground saturated.....flooding will certainly be an issue over the next few days! 

Posted

There was a lull in the rain here for a couple of hours after dawn but it's back now in earnest.  The sky is darkening as I write so I guess there's a heavier burst not far off.  On the plus side, the wind so far is not as bad as last night and although gusty it's not strong enough to be damaging, here at least.   We'll cope with the rain in this area because there's plenty of culverts and streams to take the water away but it's not ideal if you need to be driving this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind and driving rain.

Close to Lampeter, Ceredigion. I measured 68mm in our garden on Friday, with some pretty tasty winds. Yesterday (Saturday), we topped that with 77.5mm. A little over fiveinches for those working in imperial.

A fair bit of localised flooding and a few landslips nearby. Homes and businesses flooded and a number of roads impassable.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Goodbye Callum.  You weren't invited but you came anyway.  You wreaked pain and damage on the people of Wales and you stayed too long.  

Good riddance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Some of the peak river levels from the weekend #StormCallum 

map of Welsh sites here https://naturalresources.wales/evidence-and-data/maps/check-river-levels/?lang=en 

Posted

Hi folks - could be an early start to the "cold season" coming up -

Wait till day 15 Discontinuous retrogression means trough may reform further west with major early cold back into western Europe week 3 -

keep an eye on the end of October - beginning November
  • Like 3

Posted

Potential for some "very early" cold and the odd snow flake showing up on GFS and ECM now for next Friday into Saturday - only potential and probably a little too early in the season, but it'll be a shock to the system temps wise, certainly any early trick or treaters will need to wrap up very warm for the weekend:cold:

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted

Woodshed full, oil to be ordered, knitting at the ready......

• Like 1

Posted

I hope we get an early blast of wintry weather next weekend , beast from East can return Xmas time too pls didn't get many pics of it in March , hopefully will this season though , ❄❄❄❄❄❄

IMG_20180303_102243.jpg

Posted

Hopefully we don't get too much cold just yet ! I'm happy with this mild days and cool evening that we are getting now . I'd rather cold snowy weather December and January .