Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Windy night outside and squally but not heavily so, no damage other than a fallen over plant and a smashed wineglass as ‘Bugger’ the cat next door but one was obviously feeling peckish and slunk in catflap, past sleeping cat, jumped on kitchen surface aiming for recycle caddy and knocked over wineglass, I think..... unless it was really really windy and it was Helene...? Very mild now, 17 degrees.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
1 hour ago, snefnug said:

Windy night outside and squally but not heavily so, no damage other than a fallen over plant and a smashed wineglass as ‘Bugger’ the cat next door but one was obviously feeling peckish and slunk in catflap, past sleeping cat, jumped on kitchen surface aiming for recycle caddy and knocked over wineglass, I think..... unless it was really really windy and it was Helene...? Very mild now, 17 degrees.

Yes, very windy here also and a power cut between 02:10 and 03:30 but no damage as far as I can see.  Our dog slept right through the night - for a change!  The rain has stopped now and wind is dropping but it was very wet for a time last night!  Looks like it will be a windy week in the west before some more settled weather appears in the charts.

Posted

Continuing windy here with worse to come according to the GFS and others.  Heavy rain expected to accompany some strong winds tomorrow and Friday.  There is the possibility of another storm on Sunday, which could affect the whole of the U.K.  I will be glad to get this week over with - looking more settled and drier next week if the models are correct.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Windy here and cooler.  Absolutely threw it down last night.  While apprehensive somewhat with regard to the winds I love this weather cos it means fire on in evenings and a wave goodbye to such frequent salads and a big hello to comfort food....

• Like 3

Posted

If the conditions predicted by the ICON for early Friday morning actually verify, there will be a lot of homes in Wales without power by Friday night...

iconeu_uk1-11-38-0.thumb.png.8273086d918c33c37a88b3092353ab0b.png

Not all the models agree with the intensity of this storm but we are guaranteed some very strong winds at some point.

Posted

The light steady rain from first thing this morning has gradually ratcheted up and up and we now have a significant, heavy and continuous downpour which is being blown from the south-west on an increasingly blustery wind.  This will certainly refill any rivers which are still below normal flows.  I believe these conditions are set to continue for a few hours yet.  Just had a flicker on the lights, so maybe a power outage somewhere as well.  However, I would still take this over the storm which was predicted and trust that we will not now see those damaging winds which were forecast for overnight - at least not this side of October anyway.

Posted

This is going from bad to worse to terrible.....  Torrential rain blown sideways in strong south-westerly gales hammering on the windows and violently shaking the trees.  No whole trees down as far as I know but at least one large branch has fallen into the road.  Charts indicate that 5:00pm will be the height of the wind speeds here but not sure how long the rain can keep this intensity up for.  It's like sitting in a car-wash during the rinse cycle (without the rotating brushes, obviously!).  Not going to step outside for the rest of the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm

We're missing all the heavy rain that was in the forecast for Cardiff today. Currently dry, with the occassional spot of rain. Quite gusty though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow

Its been blowing a Hoolie up here all day......lashing rain gusty wind...................................

Posted
1 hour ago, lindy2222 said:

Its been blowing a Hoolie up here all day......lashing rain gusty wind...................................

...lashing - yep, that's exactly the word I was looking for earlier!  In fairness, the rain has eased up now, for the time being, but still have gusty winds shaking the trees.  No power cut though, so not all bad.   I'm really looking forward to next week now!

• Like 1

Posted

Very heavy raIn since noon, but no significant wind, just miserably lashing it down with heavy rain forecast for the rest of this afternoon and most of tomorrow. OJ joy!

• Like 3

Posted

Not sorry to see the back of Bronagh.....  Lovely start to the day here - bright sunshine and light winds.  The return of the sun has made me realise that the windows need cleaning!  Now, are we going to get any bother from storm Callum....

Posted

I have to admit to really enjoying yesterday's wind and rain, which helped to replenish any lakes and rivers still low after the summer's drought. It was very much a "stay indoors and appreciate the cosiness" kind of day. Early this morning, though, was a revelation with stunningly bright sunshine, sparklingly clean air and a distinctly chilly, gusty wind. Perfect for a stroll. Both sides of autumn within just a few hours, and no sign of any lingering summer warmth! Looking forward to this weekend's fun and games too, and even the (admittedly small) risk of wintriness of the back edge of the low.

Posted

100% heavy overcast this morning accompanied by steady moderate rain but almost no breeze at all!  The strong winds predicted earlier in the week for today have disappeared from the charts for this area, thank goodness.  Had enough of damaging gusts this week.  Hoping that the skies will clear this afternoon to introduce the cooler, sunnier settled weather which we are predicted to enjoy next week.  As far as I am concerned a sunny settled October would be perfect, allowing the trees to lose their leaves naturally and avoid going into the winter with saturated ground.  November is the time for cold weather to appear and if we have to have them, winter storms to have their day.

Posted

Well, the clouds soon cleared this morning and the sun came out followed by plenty of fast moving fair weather cumulus making for a very interesting sky.  We had a lovely walk through tree lined lanes drying quickly after the morning rain, enjoying the early Autumn colours and crossing a fast flowing river glittering in the sunlight and tumbling down a narrow gulley.  This is what the Autumn should be like, and long may it last.

Posted

Rain this morning and chilly  with it, then on off heavy showers, warm when the clouds passed, but mainly cool.  

Posted

First frost outside, temperature currently 2 degrees, heating on.

• Like 1

Posted

Absolutely stunning day!  Taking various dogs out for walks and bluest of blue skies, as a backdrop for the turning leaves and masses and masses of Rowan, holly and Hawthorn berries.

• Like 1

Posted

Another lovely day after a cool start, very warm in the sunshine.  Last of the house Martins have gone from the valley and the spiders are coming into the house.  I used to call them Ethels, but I gather that over 70% of them that comes in are males, hmm ethelberts?

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 1

how high of winds do you Welsh usually need before power cuts start piling up?  Accoring to Marks weather blog in Portland the last winstorm he did a comparison and usually gusts between 50 and 55mph tend to have the 100,000 category.

Edited by Wxarchive

On 27/09/2018 at 06:06, snefnug said:

Absolutely stunning day!  Taking various dogs out for walks and bluest of blue skies, as a backdrop for the turning leaves and masses and masses of Rowan, holly and Hawthorn berries.

Are you sure you took those dogs for a walk or did any of them walk you?

Posted

Two out of three took me, the other one is a companionable walk.