Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Finally, after much drizzle and low cloud throughout the day, a bit of blue sky has emerged in the west and the sun is breaking through again.  The hillsides are positively glowing green in the sun and look absolutely beautiful!   Thank goodness for our lovely rain.  Perhaps the weekend will be dry and warm as forecast - but hopefully not the tropical heat they have experienced in the south-east.  They can keep that to themselves......   I'm very happy with our summer so far although it looks like we'll have more unsettled weather for a while here.  There's some talk elsewhere of another warm period before August is finished but I dont think this is aimed at us....

Posted
  • Location: Llandysul, Wales SA44 SA39 550 ft work 650 ft sleep 7.5 shrivelled sheep. Never mind the borax. Spatulas/spoons from just 7 quid, chopping boards from 18 quid, boxes from 45 quid or so for a OK one, bigger stuff costs more obviously
  • Location: Llandysul, Wales SA44 SA39 550 ft work 650 ft sleep 7.5 shrivelled sheep. Never mind the borax. Spatulas/spoons from just 7 quid, chopping boards from 18 quid, boxes from 45 quid or so for a OK one, bigger stuff costs more obviously

Does anybody know what the cloud formation is out to the West right now. Remarkable, looks a little like tractor tyre tread. I’ve tried to photo, but only got a phone and it’s hopeless.  Never seen it before.

Posted
15 hours ago, cruelwx said:

Does anybody know what the cloud formation is out to the West right now. Remarkable, looks a little like tractor tyre tread. I’ve tried to photo, but only got a phone and it’s hopeless.  Never seen it before.

Wave clouds?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_cloud

Posted

After a lovely bright start to the day here, the clouds have quickly moved in and now we have light rain again.  The radar indicates that this will move away - I hope so because I do need to cut the grass now.   After several weeks of little or no growth its shooting up again like Spring!    

Edit:  the rain is getting heavier!  But showery?

Posted

Was pretty much a perfect summers day here earlier - mainly blue skies with a few light clouds, and about 23/24C.  Now the clouds have thickened and we are only going to get a few sunny periods this afternoon.  Still, it's been dry enough to cut the grass and it looks lovely!   A bit brown in places, but that's to be expected as the rainfall has been well below average this summer..... even here! 

Posted

Continuous, sometimes heavy, rain has been falling here since 12.00 noon, and even before that we had a light drizzle on and off for a couple of hours.  The wind has strengthened and has been gusty most of the evening.   The forecast is for this to continue through the night and maybe for tomorrow morning as well.  No doubt about it, the land around here has been well and truly watered!  Now would be the right time for August to bring sunshine and a little warmth back to west Wales for a week or two before the Autumn brings more unsettled weather in advance of the Winter season....  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

On off rain over the last few days from heavy showers to spits of rain in the air.  Humid though, and obviously influx of tiny bity things as all of our neighbours and us, scratching like demented monkeys.  A brilliant year for apples, and blinking cabbage White whose offspring have stripped my kale patch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Much cooler, fresher , breezier day today, with mixture of blue skies then dark clouds,  good drying weather.

Posted

Distinctly autumnal feel today, cool with quite a strong breeze and mizzle.  Elderberries purpleing and first load of blackberries out.

Posted

Much fresher now after the rain yesterday (currently 11 degrees).  Looking forward to somewhat cooler and, hopefully, less humid days and nights.  Glyn Ceiriog sheep dog trials on friday and Saturday, the cooler the air, the less flies round sheep, dogs, horses and humans. 

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 1

Posted

Hi snefnug and the rest of you in the Wales discussion. I'm back quite a lot earlier than normal, not least because I've started feeling distinctly Autumnal lately thanks to the nights drawing in and a very cool-feeling night tonight with a (now set) full moon. My apples are now red and ripe, my pears are ripening rapidly and there are blackberries everywhere. Even though May-July was relentlessly hot and sunny, August has been much duller and damper and with last winter continuing until late March, it doesn't feel like five minutes since I was getting stuck in banks of drifted snow.

Even though the summer was glorious...

IMG_5302.jpg

IMG_5328.jpg

IMG_5404.jpg

... It won't be long until we're seeing scenes like this...

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

... Followed, hopefully, by something akin to this...

IMG_4072.jpg

IMG_4725.jpg

IMG_4747.jpg

IMG_4750.jpg

I'm not being complacent because I still haven't forgotten the terrifyingly snowless winters of 13/14-16/17, but this year has been quite odd in terms of extremes; the climate is evidently changing. It's only its effects on us here in the UK, a rock perched on the edge of a huge ocean between competing air masses, that remains to be properly seen.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind and driving rain.

There is something rather comforting about the weather right now- a far more traditional feel after such a run of hot, dry weather that turned our lush greenery to yellow and brown.

Chilly evenings now, so relented to pressure last night and lit the fire!

Posted

Have awoken to the conditions which were expected today - heavy overcast, grey skies with steady moderate rainfall.  It's also fairly blustery.  The rain is expected to get heavier before easing up, hopefully by this afternoon, but rain does have a tendency to hang around here much longer than the charts indicate.....   August has certainly been the least 'summery' month of the summer with much lower sunshine levels than July, lower temperatures and more rain.  That has not made it less enjoyable, though, and the lower temperatures suited me and my garden much better than the heat of mid-summer.  As mentioned by others, blackberries are now to be found everywhere in the hedgerows and some of them are huge!  Not sure if this is a result of the summer conditions, or whether Mother Nature is getting ready for a bitter winter.....   We shall see.  At least the silage meadows are now growing fast and there should be no shortage of winter feed for Welsh hill farmers after all.

Posted

In the last half an hour the rain has eased considerably and we now just have a few drizzly spots flying in the wind.  The skies are also much lighter although still overcast - I think we might even see a bit of sun in the next hour or so.  So the rain has not been as heavy or as long lasting as it could have been and hopefully we will have dry bank holiday tomorrow in west Wales....  That's good news for everyone especially the visiting tourists to the area - we want them go home with happy memories not damp ones!

Posted

Saturday fortunately stayed rain free, if overcast for sheepdog trials, so farmers, families, dogs, ponies and little riders all happy, as was the  RDA cake stall, which did great guns and also had organic goats cheese and Staffordshire oatcakes.  Organic garden stall full of lovely local veg and fresh honey and plant stall colourful with geraniums and dahlias.  All in all very pleasant.  In contrast, Sunday was a full on wet and cold day mostly, soggy walk on tops with a reluctant dog and misty for the remainder.  Still, managed indoor chores and kitchen cabinets now repainted a rather nice smoky blue.  This morning, misty mizzle and 13 degrees, proper autumn weather.

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 1

Posted

For a time in Carmarthen today it was very reminiscent of Spain in September - crystal clear blue sky with not a cloud to be seen, barely any breeze and warm sunshine.  Everyone seemed very happy to be enjoying such a lovely day but were almost afraid to show it in case it all disappeared beneath cloud and rain again.  However, I like the look of the charts at the moment which indicate that high pressure will build over Northern Europe and introduce an easterly airflow to the UK - that should bring Wales some more sunny, quite warm weather for a few days at least, before Autumn gets going properly.....  Mind you, I don't believe anything the charts are showing, really.  Do any of us....?

Posted

Friday and saturday lovely warm days, with Friday that bit fresher and sunnier and Saturday a tad muggy.  Spent Saturday in Oswestry - town park full of families with little children running about, town streets positively Mediterranean with outdoor seats at the cafes and pubs all filled up, wafts of music from jazz buskers and only somewhat marred by having to pass through clouds of fruit scented mist appearing from myriad of vapes....

This morning is a warm 15degrees, with cloudy outlook so things of a gardeny nature today, cobweb clearing, checking log sheds and walk with a hopefully less reluctant dog, with roast leg of salt marsh lamb for supper.  Happy days!

Posted

Yesterday pleasantly warm if cloudy, leading to a humid night and an elderly cat who couldn’t make up his mind whether to sleep stretched out by me (phew hot) or outside on shed roof.  Managed to get linens for various holiday lets  I housekeep washed, dried and ironed.

This morning is 14 degrees and mizzle constant rain, which is fine - no watering needed.

Elderly cat now damply back on bed.

Forecast for next few days/nights on cool and showery side.

• Like 2

Posted

After what can be properly described as a wet weekend with only brief drier interludes between the rain we might be able to enjoy a drier brighter day today.  Might even get something useful done outside.  On the down side, the rest of the week looks pretty poor even for mid September with cool temperatures and frequent rain.  We have already had to put the heating on - only briefly (and I pretended it was just a pre-winter test....) but I don't think we will last until October before we have it on again.  It was lovely to feel the warm air inside as our north facing rooms have been feeling distinctly cool lately!

Posted

Well, precious little brightness today in the end but at least it has been dry.  Almost entirely overcast all day with quite strong gusty winds but this was good weather for working outside, so no complaints.  It does seem that the summer has left us exactly on time this year and Autumn is eager to flex its muscles.  Many of the leaves are beginning to turn colour and it looks possible that we might be on the sharp end of the first Atlantic storm before the month is out.  I guess the winter model output crew will soon be looking out for the first snow of winter!

❄️❄️❄️

• Like 1

Posted

After a crystal clear, starry sky last night we have a beautiful, sunny, calm start to the day - lovely misty autumnal sunrise and barely any breeze.  Is this the calm before the storm...?  We will know in the next few days whether we will have to brace for the first storm of the Autumn.   At least we don't suffer the violent weather they are about to experience in North Carolina.  That's good because I know my roof wouldn't be up to it.

Posted

A yellow 'strong wind' warning has been issued by the Met Office for the west on Monday and early Tuesday.  Still trying to get an accurate idea of which areas will be worst affected by this storm but the following models think that the centre of the storm will track up the Irish sea, giving west Wales and eastern Ireland a battering: 

ICON:        iconeu_uk1-11-87-0.png?14-17                GFS      Modele GFS - Carte prévisions

ARPEGE   arpegeuk-11-93-0.png?14-18

I'm not saying that any of them are right, but on the basis of their predictions Pembrokeshire might see gusts between 80mph and 90mph, and gusts over Anglesey could approach 100mph.  I suspect the storm may track further west and the winds in Wales will be less violent but we will probably not know for sure until as late as Sunday evening.  If you live near the west coast it might be advisable to think about tying down the caravan, the dustbins, the patio furniture and the dog.....

Posted
14 hours ago, Sky Full said:

A yellow 'strong wind' warning has been issued by the Met Office for the west on Monday and early Tuesday.  Still trying to get an accurate idea of which areas will be worst affected by this storm but the following models think that the centre of the storm will track up the Irish sea, giving west Wales and eastern Ireland a battering.

....on the basis of their predictions Pembrokeshire might see gusts between 80mph and 90mph, and gusts over Anglesey could approach 100mph.  I suspect the storm may track further west and the winds in Wales will be less violent but we will probably not know for sure until as late as Sunday evening.  If you live near the west coast it might be advisable to think about tying down the caravan, the dustbins, the patio furniture and the dog.....

Did you spot the 'deliberate' (not) mistake?   Wind speeds would be in 'kph', not 'mph' - of course!  Quite a difference.....

Posted

Similar track to the mid October storm with the red sun last year?

But its a month earlier with about a 100 thousand trillion leaves more on the trees.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Well.  That was a wet day.  A very wet day, in fact. A day for staying inside, which is what I did!  And we now have a windy week to look forward to - perhaps not so bad tomorrow as first suggested but from the middle of the week there is more stormy weather around.  We will have to wait to see how this will affect Wales but its certainly turned autumnal in a hurry.