Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Warm seas have made our coasts magical, last mon splashing around down Southerndown. Been seen on many beach, Three cliffs, Pobbles, Permon point the most prevalent. Intresting this is the 3rd year in a row, sign of changing times? https://www.facebook.com/groups/182734892412764/permalink/192697998083120/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
9 hours ago, cruelwx said:

The tourists have arrived, Mc Donald’s packaging thrown into the lanes, how lovely.

I will never understand the brain dead, backward mentality of people who throw rubbish from their car window into the road, whether it's a country lane or a motorway.  It's a disgusting, lazy, unsociable habit.

The weather has changed today with cloudy skies and much lower temperatures - more comfortable it has to be said - but still no sign of meaningful rain.  This has been the longest almost completely rain free period I can remember.  The ground remains rock hard and dusty.  On the MOD thread many seem to believe that the hot weather is going to return but I am inclined to think we are in for a more normal spell of weather for the rest of July, at least here in the west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Tis not merely tourists mit the trash chucking, the (really?) flower of England/Wales regularly decorate the country roads with McDonald’s, Nando’s, takeaways, drink cans and bottles.  As a middle aged Womble , I am constantly moving things to bins, or taking bin bags on country/dog walks and DON’T get me started on the pregnant goldfish who put dog poo in poobags and lob them in trees or just drop them on the road!  Anyway, rant over, back to weather.  Blessed rain most of the day, obviates need to water (hurrah!!!) and hopefully provides enough moisture content to stop the fields from catching fire, (some through heat, many more through fagends lobbed out of windows by the above mentioned flowers of youth.  

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Another cloudy start here in the far west - was foggy overnight too - keeping temperatures well below those in the east.  When the sun appeared yesterday afternoon the temperatures rocketed and we had a lovely evening here.  It was a warm night, but no daytime temperature records are likely to be broken in Pembrokeshire.  I'm not complaining though - the grass is growing strongly again which is very good news for the dairy and sheep farmers.

Posted

The cloud base has lowered here now and is delivering some (more) welcome rain - albeit light.  This is not showing up on any radar I can find but is predicted correctly by the WRF 0.5 with more of the same tomorrow....

image.thumb.gif.076990a642a28e0ef03652320fecbf09.gif

Wednesday looking like the driest day of the week in the west, at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm

Not much of a heatwave here in Cardiff. Overcast and dull. Yesterday was the same, so quite a disappointing week up to now. Let's hope it brightens up this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

More fires breaking out over dry hills.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/more-firefighters-rush-mountain-blaze-14956264

we saw the smoke cloud rolling over today.  Huge.  We need good rain.

this evening at home, nice seated outside, and then cooled enough for cardigan.  Eek! Maybe light winds ahead of westerly weather fronts.?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow
8 hours ago, snefnug said:

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/more-firefighters-rush-mountain-blaze-14956264

this evening at home, nice seated outside, and then cooled enough for cardigan.  Eek! Maybe light winds ahead of westerly weather fronts.?

Every day for last few weeks we could smell smoke........very sad wildlife being destroyed...........

8 hours ago, snefnug said:

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, lindy222, bad for wildlife and possibly bad for bees as many beekeepers have hives up in the heather, I hope they got them out in time.  But I suppose in ‘nature red in tooth and claw’ such fires are also natural balances and regenerators.

• Like 1

Posted

Wildfires can occur naturally but very rarely do, as lightning is about the only 'natural' source of ignition.  The fires which occur dally on the hills and elsewhere in hot, dry weather are sadly anything but natural, being mostly caused by brainless arsonists or careless smokers and are therefore not beneficial in any way.  Nature cannot cope with fires when they are so frequent and widespread and recovery from the damage is unlikely.  Insects including butterflys and ladybirds, beetles, rare amphibians and reptiles and small mammals are all at risk and cannot escape.  Birds and bats also suffer due to loss of their usual food sources.  The punishment for arson is woefully inadequate.

• Like 1

Posted

It's raining! At last! A few days of this and then hopefully back to the nice, dry and sunny weather. :)

for the first time in ages I guess I'll be mowing my lawn in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Posted

Much welcomed rain here too , It's quite nice to be doing a bit in doors but only for a day or two please . Really enjoying this summer ! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just watching the edge of a thunderstorm a few miles to the north of me over Maesteg moving a away, caught a flashes over the clouds but no direct lightning, the thunder is constant however coming from it, sounds like an intense little storm, wish I had gone out for a drive up that way now! 

Posted
6 hours ago, Sky Full said:

Wildfires can occur naturally but very rarely do, as lightning is about the only 'natural' source of ignition.  The fires which occur dally on the hills and elsewhere in hot, dry weather are sadly anything but natural, being mostly caused by brainless arsonists or careless smokers and are therefore not beneficial in any way.  Nature cannot cope with fires when they are so frequent and widespread and recovery from the damage is unlikely.  Insects including butterflys and ladybirds, beetles, rare amphibians and reptiles and small mammals are all at risk and cannot escape.  Birds and bats also suffer due to loss of their usual food sources.  The punishment for arson is woefully inadequate.

You are so right, even in the village, at the moment, my heart jumps into my mouth when I see barbecues being fired up.  Hopefylly the current rains will stop the spread, for now.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, snefnug said:

You are so right, even in the village, at the moment, my heart jumps into my mouth when I see barbecues being fired up.  Hopefylly the current rains will stop the spread, for now.

It's good that the rain will wet the soil and encourage new growth, the problem is that there's a hell of a lot of dead grass and plants around so as soon as the dry and sunny weather returns in a few days that dead grass, etc will quickly dry out and be a fire hazard once again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow

Had thunder and lightning here in last hour.....

Posted

Thunder lightning and downpour in Cardiff at the moment, bring it on, continuous thunder at the moment, got a PB2 course running at cbyc this weekend, glad I'm not out working in it today

Edited by viking_smb

Posted

Our long period without any meaningful rain is finally over....   After heavy showers yesterday, persistent driving rain has moved in overnight accompanied by strong, gusty winds from the south west.  Conditions almost akin to an Autumn storm rather than normal summer rainfall.  I wouldn't usually say this but 'thank goodness for the rain!'   It will be good to see the grass growing again and maybe some water in the streams.  I have put away the garden hose - for the time being at least....

• Like 1

Posted

Wonderfully wild windy wetness outside and most welcome it is too.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Great streamer going on here in Dinas Powys (just west of Cardiff) this pm, originating over the SW peninsular, particularly Exmoor as the SW'ly winds 'bend' around the high ground. The finger of rain seems to be happily following the M50 right up into the Midlands! 

13.00 651367247_RadarSun29July13_00.thumb.jpg.bb2de2fce6813f49eb1aead47760411e.jpg 14.35 1342858159_RadarSun29July14_35.thumb.jpg.3b299b83fe4476355d3bf8984fb6c2a5.jpg

15.00 238769967_RadarSun29July15_00.thumb.jpg.4d6972602e0419885224a3833fe20b22.jpg

Posted

We've had a couple of pretty Autumnal days here with mostly cloudy skies, cooler temperatures and quite a strong S/SW wind.  No showers today but not much in the way of blue skies either.  When the sun does make it through the cloud cover you can certainly feel it still has strength but we need the clouds to move away before temperatures are going to get much above ordinary.  The forecast has us down for light rain again tomorrow and the heat of July is already beginning to fade into memory.....    .   Maybe things will be more settled toward the end of the week?

Posted

Dull, misty and cool this morning but at least the wind had dropped.....  Heatwave.... what heatwave is that then?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Well that was the warmest night of the year here min 17c.