Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
13 hours ago, Sky Full said:

A little bit of rain is likely but the wind has dropped considerably so that's good!  We have some annoying showers this morning and heavy overcast skies but this is forecast to move away by midday.  Sunday looks like being the best day with no rain and quite sunny so double digit temperatures will feel quite pleasant in the sun.  If you haven't already been to see them don't miss a walk on the beach at Poppit Sands or Newport Sands - low tides will be early morning or late evening but there's enough beach to enjoy even at high tides.  The weather is forecast to improve over the next week so I'm hoping fo some proper Sping-like days in mid-April.   Enjoy your visit!

Yes, thanks Sky Full.  This old, big, but maybe a bit basic house is where my father in law was born and brought up, in St Dogmaels.  Poppit is just down the road and is our go to beach. Newport (Pembs) we love, Parrog would be a dream place to buy, the Golden Lion in Newport is great.  Pwllgwaelod and Cwm Yr Eglwys are beautiful, Abermawr, Porth Gain.  The Preselis, Myndd Carningli, Narberth, the Nevern Estuary, artists' places, cheese from Cenarth and mackerel pate from our neighbour.  Across the border north into Ceredigion is Mwnt, stunning, then Penbryn, Llangranog, Cwmtydu.  I love it here, we're down for a week this time with the kids who are getting on a bit now, 15, 17, 21, and they love it as much as my wife and I do.  Decades coming here for me,  more decades for my wife, I will hate it when this house is no longer sustainable but we'll find a way to keep coming here.  

On a weather note, dry and mild with the joy of the extra daylight from being so far west.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
On 7 April 2018 at 22:23, abruzzi spur said:

Yes, thanks Sky Full.  This old, big, but maybe a bit basic house is where my father in law was born and brought up, in St Dogmaels.  Poppit is just down the road and is our go to beach. Newport (Pembs) we love, Parrog would be a dream place to buy, the Golden Lion in Newport is great.  Pwllgwaelod and Cwm Yr Eglwys are beautiful, Abermawr, Porth Gain.  The Preselis, Myndd Carningli, Narberth, the Nevern Estuary, artists' places, cheese from Cenarth and mackerel pate from our neighbour.  Across the border north into Ceredigion is Mwnt, stunning, then Penbryn, Llangranog, Cwmtydu.  I love it here, we're down for a week this time with the kids who are getting on a bit now, 15, 17, 21, and they love it as much as my wife and I do.  Decades coming here for me,  more decades for my wife, I will hate it when this house is no longer sustainable but we'll find a way to keep coming here.  

On a weather note, dry and mild with the joy of the extra daylight from being so far west.

You could always get a job with the Pembrokeshire Tourist Office - they'd definitely love you!   We've had a pretty good week - although cloudy at times it's been more or less dry and the sun has brought the wild flowers out along all the lanes.  Today is probably the best day yet and it really looks like Spring has sprung at last.  I will never tire of the way the landscape seems to change almost overnight when the warm air arrives and the trees start to get their leaves back.  The south east is promised temperatures between 20C and 24C next week whilst we will probably peak at 17C if we're lucky, but that's good enough for me if the sun's out!

Posted

There's me thinking Spring was upon us, and then we get a night like last night......   Please - no more!   Strong gusty winds and heavy rain battering the windows kept me awake like a winter storm - and if it was up to me it would have had its own name (not one I can print though).  The national forecasters were happy to describe these conditions as 'windy' and 'patchy rain' but they should have been here, that's all I'm saying.  Rain and wind have eased up now but no sign of the sun hereabouts.  Just hoping we will get the opportunity to dry out on Thursday and Friday before it all goes downhill again. :)

Posted

After a very unpromising start this morning with overnight rain and persistent low cloud, the sun broke through at around 11.00am and we ended up with a very respectable high of 17.5C and mostly sunny.  The gloss was taken off, though, by strong, gusty winds which were gale force at times.  Not sure what caused the unexpected windy conditions but perhaps that's what blew the clouds away!  I'm hoping the wind will drop tomorrow and we still get some of this April sunshine, but the forecast high is only 13C here which will be very disappointing if that's all we can manage.  Still, at least it is dry!

At last, a better looking forecast for us on the south coast of Wales, apart from Tuesday there's plenty of dry weather with some sunshine at times and so feeling a good deal milder after all that frequent cold sea fog this week which held back temperatures to around 10-12C. If correct then I'll be spending a lot longer at the beach :clap:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Good morning, my first post in this forum always been there lurking and also a member of other weather forums. So looks like a dry settled weekend for some with temps above average then a change to a more below from the 09th onwards.

B5D2C7F4-3BD3-43C0-A673-56B2FB06FD0F.png

Posted
5 hours ago, Nick2373 said:

Good morning, my first post in this forum always been there lurking and also a member of other weather forums. So looks like a dry settled weekend for some with temps above average then a change to a more below from the 09th onwards.

B5D2C7F4-3BD3-43C0-A673-56B2FB06FD0F.png

Welcome to the madhouse, Nick.  There's not much action in here at this time year - it takes freezing cold and snow to wake up the main crowd in any numbers, but there's always someone about in the Model Output thread.  If things go as indicated we might be in for a few days of sun and light winds over the bank holiday weekend which will be extremely welcome in these parts, I can tell you!

Posted
20 hours ago, Sky Full said:

Welcome to the madhouse, Nick.  There's not much action in here at this time year - it takes freezing cold and snow to wake up the main crowd in any numbers, but there's always someone about in the Model Output thread.  If things go as indicated we might be in for a few days of sun and light winds over the bank holiday weekend which will be extremely welcome in these parts, I can tell you!

Thanks for the welcome Sky Full, yes we are desperate for some sun down here rather than rain. I was lurking during the winter months over in Two and also in here, I must admit I’m more of a cold weather fan but will occasionally post when there’s some warmth on its way.

Edited by Nick2373
Spelling

Posted

I don't like to be the one to moan a lot, but over here in west Wales we seem to be doomed to miss the sun-fest.  Current conditions are overcast / low cloud with light air to dead calm so the cloud cover is not being shifted.  It doesn't look as though the sun will make an appearance until much later on today, if at all.  :(.   Tomorrow and Monday might be better - we will have to see - but if the low cloud and fog in the Irish Sea continues to track inland, chances are we'll have more overcast conditions to enjoy.  Maximum temperature in this area is unlikely to reach 20C at this rate.  On the plus side, none of this spells rain so I'm going to get the barbecue out whatever else happens.  To everyone else in Wales - enjoy the sun and Summer-like temperatures while they last! 8)

Posted

Well, despite my pessimism the day turned out much better than expected.  Sun broke through around 11:30am and the sky continued to clear and we ended up with wall to wall sunshine all afternoon!  Temperatures responded accordingly and tomorrow I expect we should reach at least 20C.  So, pretty good after all and prospects of another two similar days to come.  I'll not complain again (this week, anyway.....). :)

Posted

Sunday and today have been the best two days of the year to date.  23.6c yesterday and 24.0c today and not a cloud in sight.  Been outside all day both days.  When the weather is like this I don't want to be anywhere else in the world - it is simply the best place.  Must have been busy at the beaches but we decided to stay at home and enjoy the peace and quiet.  Forecast for tomorrow is quite a bit colder and cloudier but still not much rain in the forecast so I'm happy with that.    It is a pity that the atmospheric patterns which are needed to bring these weather conditions to Wales don't happen very often.  I think we'll be lucky if we can repeat this more than three or four times this summer.

Posted

Well I was in Newquay in Ceredigion over the weekend- bloody sea mist spoilt the weekend to be honest - Inland less than a mile stunning - on the coast dreadful - we still barbequed but jumpers on in the hottest May Bank recorded. Left early on Monday Aberaeron was 11.5% - over the Brecon Beacons the car was reading 26.5% what a difference glad I came back to the Valleys early to be honest the garden was like the South of France compared to the Mid Wales Coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow

We stayed at home....very hot.......all day..........sun out now.....

Posted

It was cooler last night.

A feeble breakdown with just drizzle and some showery rain,cooler now.

Wonder if/when any thunder is coming this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Has everyone gone into shock in the Wales Group - two weeks of lovely weather?

Posted

Bit cloudy this morning in Cardiff, thought we would have the showers yesterday but didn't, however some did form over maesteg way and funnily enough near Talbot green which is only 12 miles away according to the radar

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

The last two days have seen the sun struggling to burn through the cloud but day it's been cracking since early morning. 22° here and a pleasant easterly breeze. 

Posted

Just to confirm above.....

Posted

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2018-05-27/severe-flooding-to-streets-and-houses-in-welshpool/

Flash flooding hits homes and hospital in Welshpool

That was earlier... 3 torrential thunderstorms with hail in a few hours is extreme.

Must of counted 7 thunderstorms came across this morning.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Apparently I have been deactivated cos I havent posted enough since winter.  Bit cheeky that, so here is a post.

it is blooming hot, Thunderstorms Saturday  were brill, but some people only recently got landline phones back up and working, one chaps phone blew up!.  More to come I think.