Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
6 minutes ago, thetipster said:

hirlam overestimate ppn euro4 the oppersit

Spot on in this location last time... when many models showed a sig. reduction in precipitation for SW Wales, HIRLAM was correct in showing significant and prolonged snowfall. GFS precip also very accurate from a couple of days out.

Now the EURO4, that was miles out for here!

Edited by benb

Posted

Oh how exciting. Hope to see some more of the white stuff in Magor. Good luck everybody who wants the snow ;-) 

Edited by alijoe
  • Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, alijoe said:

Oh how exciting. Hope to see some more of the white stuff in Magor. Good luck everybody who wants the snow ;-) 

More snow on the way solar minimum on the way expect a white Easter with north North Easterly forecasted,Summer looks cool too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, keithlucky said:

More snow on the way solar minimum on the way expect a white Easter with north North Easterly forecasted,Summer looks cool too.

After the last ssw in 2013 the summer was very good - hopefully it will be the same this year .

I wonder if anyone has checked Ssw and the following summer years to see if there is a pattern ?

Maunder minimum, ice melt cutting off the usual under water current flows , Andy’s snow shaker , in 20 years time we will be one of the leading nations at the Winter Olympics .

Costa , Greggs , Joes ice cream etc all on the top of Pen Y Fan , Ibis ,premier inn etc in place of that dodgy burger van at the bottom of the ski lifts .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
7 minutes ago, Seasonal weather required said:

After the last ssw in 2013 the summer was very good - hopefully it will be the same this year .

I wonder if anyone has checked Ssw and the following summer years to see if there is a pattern ?

Maunder minimum, ice melt cutting off the usual under water current flows , Andy’s snow shaker , in 20 years time we will be one of the leading nations at the Winter Olympics .

Costa , Greggs , Joes ice cream etc all on the top of Pen Y Fan , Ibis ,premier inn etc in place of that dodgy burger van at the bottom of the ski lifts .

How good is Joe's Ice Cream place? :D

Posted
16 minutes ago, Seasonal weather required said:

I've been thinking exactly the same about summers following a late SSW. As you mentioned, 2013 was a great summer. 10 days down Llangennith in July. Wall to wall sunshine. Awesome it was. Gower power went down a treat 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave
35 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

How much would you say for Cardiff? Looks pretty heavy on that chart!

Probably looking at 5-10cm Jay. Probably 10cm-15 on higher areas. Let’s see what happens. Still looks good to me for sat night and Sunday morning

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, bradythemole said:

Probably looking at 5-10cm Jay. Probably 10cm-15 on higher areas. Let’s see what happens. Still looks good to me for sat night and Sunday morning

I'm staying in rhiwbina this weekend so got a bit more height lol hopefully top 10cm. Usually only 38m absl but 68 currently.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

I'm staying in rhiwbina this weekend so got a bit more height lol hopefully top 10cm. Usually only 38m absl but 68 currently.

won't need to worry about height jay - Siberian easterlies hit the beach running with the snow because of the depth of cold - only the "british" snow closer to 0 does altitude then make a difference

• Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, bradythemole said:

nope 20cms plus all round me-thinks

Posted
3 minutes ago, andymusic said:

won't need to worry about height jay - Siberian easterlies hit the beach running with the snow because of the depth of cold - only the "british" snow closer to 0 does altitude then make a difference

There was me thinking it was an Artic and not Siberian @andymusic

Posted
2 minutes ago, andymusic said:

nope 20cms plus all round me-thinks

Charts? With the exception of forced ascent along the Eastern Brecons (20/25cm), 5 - 10 cm would be the sensible prediction.  

Posted
43 minutes ago, Cwmbran Eira said:

I've been thinking exactly the same about summers following a late SSW. As you mentioned, 2013 was a great summer. 10 days down Llangennith in July. Wall to wall sunshine. Awesome it was. Gower power went down a treat 

i'll get my ski resort and snowmobile business up and running yet - low sun spot activity over the coming decades will knacker climate change that didn't exist in the 1st place anyway - only to serve greedy governments to take more taxes off us poor commoners - and frost fares will take place on the river taff - while polar bears punt up and down looking for prey and artic foxes and seals play in Cardiff Bay - The Pen Y Fan Glacier will form and get bigger and bigger - Never to melt in the summer

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, MattTarrant said:

Charts? With the exception of forced ascent along the Eastern Brecons (20/25cm), 5 - 10 cm would be the sensible prediction.  

What, with an amber warning already over south eastern Wales likely to turn RED:cold::cold::cold::cold:

Posted
2 hours ago, alijoe said:

you'll cop it alright Ali x

Posted
3 hours ago, Baldy Snowman said:

could be, especially for you, but those maps you posted above look a bit marginal for lots of us. is there any chance of an upgrade? could that low not sink south so rapidly? if memory serves right in 82 the low misbehaved, dumping a load on us. I know forecasting and modelling has come on leaps and bounds since, so it's unlikely, but maybe.....? lol

nothing marginal about the temps - gonna be alpine snow down to the beach - altitude not a factor when you have Siberian easterlies - Simples:cold::cold::cold::cold:

Posted
2 minutes ago, andymusic said:

What, with an amber warning already over south eastern Wales likely to turn RED:cold::cold::cold::cold:

'There is the potential for 5-10 cm of snow to fall quite widely'

Posted
3 hours ago, LJ1224 said:

Looks like nothing for Port Talbot again. Fingers crossed everywhere else isn't too bad as I'm due to drive to Scotland next Thursday!

just wait and see - always expect the unexpected - and as the JAMAICANS always say in the HURRICANE SEASON - "HOPING FOR DE BEST, BUT EXPECTING DE WORST" LOL

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Missdolly said:

Well indeed , but there was much more publicity last time I think ?

yeah last minute - would you believe I went to the Cinnamon Tree tonight in Treforest for a lovely Indian meal - and wow can they cook an indian meal in their - it was fab - and I know the owner very well and the staff and I told them - "hope you're all prepared for what's coming" and they looked at me with puzzled faces - they normally do a beautiful buffet on sundays - the likes of which you will have never tasted in your life before - but they'll have no chance this sunday - Kitchens will be closed because the snow will be piling up outside the door lol - and unless the owner Enam invests in some Huskies to ferry his customers in by sled - then he can forget serving up any tender buffet Indian food this sunday lol :cold::cold::cold::cold::wallbash::rofl:

Edited by andymusic
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, benb said:

HIRLAM model pretty keen on bringing some snow across S Wales on both Sat and Sunday...

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/hirlam.php?ech=19&mode=1&map=400

Found this model to be very accurate for this location a couple of weeks ago...

Crazy weather for the time of year...

Spring is going to feel amazing when/if it ever arrives!

don't think it's ever gonna get here - maybe we'll swing into summer for a couple of weeks like in Alaska - and then back into Winter again lol - gotta keep building that glacier ya see - DID YA KNOW - 10,000 years ago in the last ICE AGE - Wales was covered in Glaciers from North To South - right down to Barry Island Beach - in fact there was only just enough room for a few cavemen and a wooly Mammouth at the waters edge lol - in fact the reality was - early Welsh man had to move out - IT WAS JUST TOO DARNED FLIPPIN FREEZING:cold::rofl::cold::rofl::cold:

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Yet again Swansea west looking to miss out I'm moving to Russia next winter