Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!
20 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Looking good on the impact scale too! 5-10cm widely which I'll bank now. Staying at my girlfriends in Cardiff too which is higher up lol.

Yes and hopefully I won't be in the amber warning for nothing this time haha

Will probably be more wet snow than powdery I'd imagine this time though so will stick more rather than blow around everywhere?

Posted
Just now, DeepSnow said:

Yes and hopefully I won't be in the amber warning for nothing this time haha

Will probably be more wet snow than powdery I'd imagine this time though so will stick more rather than blow around everywhere?

With a bit of luck yes, prefer wet snow as you tend to get larger flakes rather than the dandruff dry stuff.

Posted

Amber Warning of Snow for Wales : Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Newport, Powys, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Torfaen & Vale of Glamorgan valid from 0005 Sun 18 Mar to 1800 Sun 18 Mar
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

wasn't expecting to be back on this forum this year. where did THIS come from? :D

so, how are the valleys looking THIS time? snowmageddon, or pretty little swirls on the road? :oops:

Sunday looks like fun, whatever. at least most of us are not working THIS time.

• Like 2

Posted

i think it is going to be blowing around, a LOT looking at the easterly winds predicted

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Baldy Snowman said:

wasn't expecting to be back on this forum this year. where did THIS come from? :D

so, how are the valleys looking THIS time? snowmageddon, or pretty little swirls on the road? :oops:

Sunday looks like fun, whatever. at least most of us are not working THIS time.

Somewhere in between, but pretty good! Valleys generally 10-15cm I reckon. Heads of the valleys and Beacons maybe 25cm!

Just don't look at the main BBC TV weather graphics- they're beyond confusing. No snow for Wales from 4am Sunday... :s

Posted
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Sa 17.03.2018 06 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Sa 17.03.2018 12 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Sa 17.03.2018 18 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Su 18.03.2018 00 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Su 18.03.2018 06 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Su 18.03.2018 12 GMT

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh MAMA OMG

A little breather for me to watch Everton lose at 3pm, then back to the window for 6pm :D

Posted
1 minute ago, RhysWales said:

Somewhere in between, but pretty good! Valleys generally 10-15cm I reckon. Heads of the valleys and Beacons maybe 25cm!

Just don't look at the main BBC TV weather graphics- they're beyond confusing. No snow for Wales from 4am Sunday... :s

gonna be a fun day. should still be able to work on Monday, if it blows about in the way it did two weeks ago,

those images andy just posted making me think twice about this event

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Baldy Snowman said:

gonna be a fun day. should still be able to work on Monday, if it blows about in the way it did two weeks ago,

those images andy just posted making me think twice about this event

They're a thing of beauty! Here's to hoping it sticks around bad/ long enough to have a long weekend! 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, RhysWales said:

They're a thing of beauty! Here's to hoping it sticks around bad/ long enough to have a long weekend! 

long weekend - snow day Monday me-thinks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

So glad I did the food shop today , plenty of bread , milk and potatoes here now ?! 

Wonder if the stampede has began ??

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, andymusic said:

long weekend - snow day Monday me-thinks

could be, especially for you, but those maps you posted above look a bit marginal for lots of us. is there any chance of an upgrade? could that low not sink south so rapidly? if memory serves right in 82 the low misbehaved, dumping a load on us. I know forecasting and modelling has come on leaps and bounds since, so it's unlikely, but maybe.....? lol

Posted
1 minute ago, Missdolly said:

So glad I did the food shop today , plenty of bread , milk and potatoes here now ?! 

Wonder if the stampede has began ??

i think lots of people would have felt a bit foolish after clearing out all the shops after the last one, only for you to be able to do a good shop the next couple of days after it

given the fact this one's a bit more marginal, and less intense, at least that's the way i see it, i think calmer heads will prevail this time. i wonder how much perishable food wasted after that last one?

maybe i'm wrong though. maybe polar bears will be tearing at our back doors in the next few weeks.... :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow.

Looks like nothing for Port Talbot again. Fingers crossed everywhere else isn't too bad as I'm due to drive to Scotland next Thursday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
2 minutes ago, LJ1224 said:

Looks like nothing for Port Talbot again. Fingers crossed everywhere else isn't too bad as I'm due to drive to Scotland next Thursday!

1- 3 cm seems to be the cross model consensus. Euro4 didn't handle Storm Emma as well as Hirlam & ARPEGE, in that Swansea wouldn't of had anything with regards to accumulation charts (had 2cm). I will have to admit it has an uncanny resemblance to 1st March episode (Not as intense though).  

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Baldy Snowman said:

i think lots of people would have felt a bit foolish after clearing out all the shops after the last one, only for you to be able to do a good shop the next couple of days after it

given the fact this one's a bit more marginal, and less intense, at least that's the way i see it, i think calmer heads will prevail this time. i wonder how much perishable food wasted after that last one?

maybe i'm wrong though. maybe polar bears will be tearing at our back doors in the next few weeks.... :D

Well indeed , but there was much more publicity last time I think ?

Posted
2 hours ago, JamesL said:

Indeed and it's almost a carbon copy of the area that the Red warning was issued for 2 weeks ago 

potentually up to 25cms I would guess for Heads of the Valleys again!!! 

We have had a great winter for snow 

IMG_3890.PNG

Whenever people eulogise about “ the winter of 17/18 “ in future I will always be there to debunk that myth .

“ We “ haven’t had a great winter for snow.

Some - 75% have , though for the rest there hasn’t been enough snow to manufacture a single snowman.

I had to shutdown my genuine snowman factory as I couldn’t sell anything ,I hear  the few employees we had are in a large amazon cardboard box somewhere nearby now , but i just couldn’t justify the business anymore .... sorry but that’s just business - get a proper job f fk sake - no sympathy .

The dry patch is set to return again ,yet this time I expect almost zero.

It has been a horrific winter for 25% of us.

Derek really does have to take responsibility here for this shocking winter.

I cancelled my “degsys weather updates “subscription to switch to Andy musics more advanced and informative service .

I urge others to do the same .

Horrific winter - Derek to blame for inventing the dry patch .

Sorry but it had to be said .

Enjoy your snow ⛄️ ⛄️ the other 75% .

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, LJ1224 said:

Swansea is and will be in dry patch yet again , though Port Talbot is in the absolutely parched Saharan dry patch .

Infact I would issue a red warning for Port Talbot - danger of death if you go outside .

Its so dry you will shrivel up like a bag of currants - so just lie in the bath all weekend with a pair of goggles on is my advice .

Im not scarred by the last epic failure , honest I’m not .....

• Like 1

Posted

HIRLAM model pretty keen on bringing some snow across S Wales on both Sat and Sunday...

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/hirlam.php?ech=19&mode=1&map=400

Found this model to be very accurate for this location a couple of weeks ago...

Crazy weather for the time of year...

Spring is going to feel amazing when/if it ever arrives!

Posted
4 minutes ago, benb said:

HIRLAM model pretty keen on bringing some snow across S Wales on both Sat and Sunday...

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/hirlam.php?ech=19&mode=1&map=400

Found this model to be very accurate for this location a couple of weeks ago...

Crazy weather for the time of year...

Spring is going to feel amazing when/if it ever arrives!

2 minutes ago, thetipster said:

HIRLAM has got to be the worst ppn  model ever its a joke

Good job this isn’t the model thread otherwise you’d have the big guns shooting you down crying  “ how ever is a poor little newbie supposed to understand what’s going on “ .

I think only Andymusic can predict where every single snowflake will fall with his Welsh snow shaker model .

Of course it’s more advanced than this one  with in depth scale models of all towns and cities etc :-

618192A8-C2FB-4733-BF87-3B788B5D52B8.thumb.png.561326c59008436161a19b3f4cb892ea.png

But it’s based on similar technology I believe .

Andy , what’s your snow shaker showing ?

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, thetipster said:

HIRLAM has got to be the worst ppn  model ever its a joke

Convection is the key with channel low moving east to west and a unstable easterly flow we are Looking at 8hrs snow event,,great radar watching coming up as precipitation will increase overland as it approaches Wales .a great snow event coming.