Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

ECM tonight showing snow for higher ground tomorrow night for a time. 

Gets quite low down for a time to be fair.

307998F4-D410-4BA5-908F-BD6F02ED15CD.png

Edited by bradythemole

Posted

Just really hard to get excited about snow again after this weekend to be honest.although we’ve had snow in March and April many times can’t help but feel this weekend has brought winter to an end,so roll on Spring weather as far as I’m concerned

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave
1 hour ago, Stevetynant said:

Just really hard to get excited about snow again after this weekend to be honest.although we’ve had snow in March and April many times can’t help but feel this weekend has brought winter to an end,so roll on Spring weather as far as I’m concerned

Yes agree Steve. If something notable happens in next two weeks then great but looking forward to some warm sunshine and longer days now! 2 weeks until BST!

• Like 2

Posted

nooooo! yellow warning of snow issued for valleys northwards tonight!

Screenshot_20180307-104551.png

Posted

Yellow Warning of Snow for Wales : Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Powys, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Torfaen & Wrexham valid from 0005 Thu 08 Mar to 1100 Thu 08 Mar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

Yellow Warning of Snow for Wales : Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Powys, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Torfaen & Wrexham valid from 0005 Thu 08 Mar to 1100 Thu 08 Mar

Still got loads around us might as well add some more........

Posted

I expect you all hate me on here now after I said what I said about derek and the met etc etc - well I stand by what I said - they warned too late and people got hurt - and as I understand it - a met office chief - FELL ON HIS SWORD a couple of days ago - resigned then - just coincidence or something to do with the shocking last minute warnings we had - I paid for my out spoken behaviour anyway - with a ban on this site - so I expect I deserved it or not - but they didn't warn early enough and people died and got hurt - nothing else to say

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, lindy2222 said:

I think you'll do well - heads of the valleys but lower down even here I think it'll be rain - the Siberian cold has left us now and the "average" cold we have now will not do it - however we do have "left over" snow - which they say, says that it's waiting for a top up lol - so maybe we'll get some more over night - don't think it'll be as bad

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

I think you'll do well - heads of the valleys but lower down even here I think it'll be rain - the Siberian cold has left us now and the "average" cold we have now will not do it

I like to tell people about bad weather coming.....but sometimes they dont listen......and take it seriously.....say we'll wait and see what happens.....gets on my wick......so hell mind them with that attitude......

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, andymusic said:

I think you'll do well - heads of the valleys but lower down even here I think it'll be rain - the Siberian cold has left us now and the "average" cold we have now will not do it - however we do have "left over" snow - which they say, says that it's waiting for a top up lol - so maybe we'll get some more over night - don't think it'll be as bad

I agree with what you said about Derek mate it's your opinion anyway.

Much snow left by you?

Posted

Me too Andy ! People didn't take it seriously either and it's left so much damage too , the water pipes , I've got a lovely hole in my roof where the wind took a tile off ? hopefully it will get sorted today , anyway there definitely wasn't much warning for people to prepare as nobody really has much confidence in the weatherman these days ! Well on TV anyway , good to see you back Andy , keep us posted on tonight's events please ?

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

I agree with what you said about Derek mate it's your opinion anyway.

Much snow left by you?

yep - and they do say that if the mountains have snow shoulders which we have they are waiting for the next batch lol

• Like 4

Posted
43 minutes ago, lindy2222 said:

Same in Merthyr , there was tractors clearing carparks yesterday ?!

Posted

i noticed derek panicing yesterday on his forecast making sure he was telling us about the snow coming tonight - maybe he has had a load of twitter abuse and his bosses have given him a roasting too - he's very lucky he didn't get sacked - if it was me i would have sacked him - too interested in how he looks on camera and less interested in doing the job he's paid for

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: sun and snow
33 minutes ago, andymusic said:

i noticed derek panicing yesterday on his forecast making sure he was telling us about the snow coming tonight - maybe he has had a load of twitter abuse and his bosses have given him a roasting too - he's very lucky he didn't get sacked - if it was me i would have sacked him - too interested in how he looks on camera and less interested in doing the job he's paid for

I love snow but tonight's forecast dismays me lol. Still very white here and i am now craving the sun and warmth.  Nobody on here hates you Andy, you have been missed greatly. Your enthusiasm is infectious and long may it continue. We all agreed with you, the red warning should have been given earlier, far too many people didnt even know snow was coming.

Edited by Simon SWales
half message missing
  • Like 1

Posted

I get what Andy is saying. We are not average joe bloggs on here... We are weather fans who are on forums, some can read model outputs etc and we knew there was a "possibility" of this happening weeks ago. My mother, for example, is in her 70s, does not have Internet access and relies solely on tv forecasts.  There wasn't enough stress put on the potential snowfall... If she didn't catch the forecast til late in the evening after the red warning, it would be to late for her to prepare. I had already sorted her and just as well I did as today was the first time I got up there since last Wednesday. A warning is what it says...a warning. It's not a 100% guarantee that something will happen but it "warns" us of how bad it could get.  Defo more notice was needed. We've still got mountains of snow here and I just got stuck in the main town carpark, wheel spinning all over the shop. That being said meto are damned if they do and damned if they don't.  They got slated after the red warning issued in 2013.  I still love Derek though lol.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

Am I missing something what did or didn't Derek do? He warned of potential blizzards in wales many days ahead?! I'm confused 

• Thanks 1

Posted

I'm more about the warnings than Derek tbh. I love Derek!  The red warning was issued only a few hours ahead which I don't think gives enough time (I accept Amber had been issued already but I don't think it has as much "clout") and was confusing for this area to say the least.  I have the meto app on my phone which sent me the red warning for Tredegar.  Looking at the weather forecast, there was no red warnings icons for Tredegar, only Amber.  If you look at the red warning image, the heads of the valleys road (and therefore towns of Merthyr, Rhymney, Tredegar, Ebbw Vale, Brynmawr etc.) is outside of the red warning area.  Someone wasn't very good with their red marker pen.  This area got very badly hit.  

image.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.
4 hours ago, andymusic said:

I expect you all hate me on here now after I said what I said about derek and the met etc etc - well I stand by what I said - they warned too late and people got hurt - and as I understand it - a met office chief - FELL ON HIS SWORD a couple of days ago - resigned then - just coincidence or something to do with the shocking last minute warnings we had - I paid for my out spoken behaviour anyway - with a ban on this site - so I expect I deserved it or not - but they didn't warn early enough and people died and got hurt - nothing else to say

Nice to see you back, Andy. Gobsmacked they gave you a ban for speaking your mind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms
58 minutes ago, Bafan said:

I'm more about the warnings than Derek tbh. I love Derek!  The red warning was issued only a few hours ahead which I don't think gives enough time (I accept Amber had been issued already but I don't think it has as much "clout") and was confusing for this area to say the least.  I have the meto app on my phone which sent me the red warning for Tredegar.  Looking at the weather forecast, there was no red warnings icons for Tredegar, only Amber.  If you look at the red warning image, the heads of the valleys road (and therefore towns of Merthyr, Rhymney, Tredegar, Ebbw Vale, Brynmawr etc.) is outside of the red warning area.  Someone wasn't very good with their red marker pen.  This area got very badly hit.  

image.jpeg

Yes I see what you mean. The hardest hit areas weren't even in the red zone. Any amateur knows the Heads of the Valleys would be hardest hit in a situation like that. 

However in fairness to Derek he can only go on what the Met give him 

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, andymusic said:

Thin ice is all I can say here Andy , and your skating on it( regarding the mods on here ) .

Its rather like school actually - make sure you don’t get expelled !.

Anyway great to have our glorious leader back from exile .

Where did they put you ? The Australian will it snow forum ??

As you can see the Welsh regional forum is looking bare at the moment as I’ve been in to start overhauling .

Ive had to knock the old plaster off also as it was so badly damaged - I think it was when you pinned derek up against the wall and put a sack over his head .

I did think about having a warning matrix colour scheme for next winter but not set on that yet, so open to suggestions .

With minimal sun spots - solar minimum , hopefully we can enter a Maunder Minimum then I think we will need an extension to the forum building funded by the Irish RFA of course .

Oh f fk sake theres another leak in the toilets this time ,and I think we may have asbestos in the roof - may have to condemn this building - back to work ...

Posted
17 minutes ago, JamesL said:

Yes I see what you mean. The hardest hit areas weren't even in the red zone. Any amateur knows the Heads of the Valleys would be hardest hit in a situation like that. 

I think what Andy is saying though, is that Derek is only concerned by his own appearance in front of the nation as opposed to the information he is to deliver.

Will be interesting to watch Derek from now on as the pressure is most certainly on .

Knowing that he is being heavily scrutinised akin to  a premier league football manager could make or break him .

He is already nervously flapping a bit so we shall see .

Im not happy with the way he laughed about Hendy having no snow .

Thats a crime against us weather enthusiasts and one for which is a sacking offence on its own .

Then to call / mock Swansea for being tropical at 5 degrees - well , not only is that factually incorrect it’s also a sacking offence - in my opinion of course - which could be right or it could be ridiculous wrong of course .

Posted
1 hour ago, JamesL said:

Imo anyone who takes them alert areas as gospel are asking for trouble. There can be no reason for a red warning for some places inside of it when others outside of it still get hit badly. It Should be seen as a rough guide. This bbc presenter could have emphasised that though. 

Posted

Hail sleet rain mixture in East Swansea now. Welcome back Andy k think the way they issue warnings will have to be reviewed tbh.