Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
12 minutes ago, Ian Price said:

Isnt the stuff over the Irish Sea anaprop?

The Marine Obs don't give weather details -  M5 Buoy out of action too :(

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/marine/observations/162091

Posted
15 minutes ago, Ian Price said:

Isnt the stuff over the Irish Sea anaprop?

Not sure but I suspect the Irish sea is just reinvigorating the front. Looks pretty intense. Probably contributing to Irelands red warning.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

But accurately forecasting the exact track of a complex storm system a week in advance is impossible in country like ours, surrounded by ocean and susceptible to competing air masses. There would have been (justified) uproar if amber or even red warnings had been issued a week ago leading to schools being pre-emptively closed and fixtures cancelled, only for nothing to happen. Not to mention the anger and bitterness on here (and similar calls for people to be sacked.)

i'd rather warn than have people suffer and die if I knew what was coming which I DID KNOW - SO MAYBE I SHOULD DO THE JOB INSTEAD

Posted

Never seen that before front from the west  Wales  expanding east ward's joining precipitation from the east. Interesting radar watching ahead.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and hot sun

61A04DD5-818C-49DA-8097-EA01D23B8965.jpeg

Posted

To be fair Andy, he and Ian Ferguson were chatting on Twitter on the Sunday saying how worried he was. He presents the forecasts and makes the predictions- which he was doing since that Sunday. He doesn't control the warnings or how much the media publicises what could be a major event.

For me, it's the wider media that have a duty to report these events responsibly- and sectors of the press promising snowmageddon each winter doesn't help. But on the whole, I think Welsh media was reporting this event from the beginning of the week. Apocalyptic reporting of standard events mean the public just doesn't buy into extreme stuff until it hits them! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, andymusic said:

i'd rather warn than have people suffer and die if I knew what was coming which I DID KNOW - SO MAYBE I SHOULD DO THE JOB INSTEAD

But if you warn people and nothing happens then they'll start to ignore further warnings. It's a very delicate balancing act that's made even more difficult when the prognosis is extremely uncertain - the snow from the current cold snap was very difficult to forecast with a lot of highly complicated and 'out of the ordinary' factors mixed in. Your current attacks on the Met Office and certain forecasters are totally unfair and unjustified.

Edited by Buzz
  • Thanks 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, andymusic said:

But you didn't *know* it was coming a whole week ago. None of us did. We knew there was a good chance but a good chance alone is not enough to issue severe warnings one week in advance, given that the blizzard was far from a certainty at that stage. And besides, once it became much more certain that Emma was going to impact us (around the 26th, I think), countless warnings and endless TV and radio coverage was given to the impending snow and two-three days is plenty of time to prepare and decide not to venture out, I think. I guarantee, if you were BBC Wales's weather presenter and you told people a whole week ago that a killer snowstorm was coming only for the forecast to change at the last minute (which it sometimes does and, not to get personal, but how many times have you (and the rest of us!) got excited over low-res chart output showing major snow events which don't materialise?), you'd be in a lot of trouble.:nea:

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, StingJet said:

It is .. also helps to see what precip type is coming in on the one map,   as the forecast for "less frigid" air pushes in to the south with the chance of snow precip turning to freezing rain. Still does n't explain why Anglesey is sat under darker shades of pink and nothing failing from the sky .. as of yet ....?

Thank you - I appreciate the help. It seems to be reasonably accurate here - we've gone from steady fall of big flakes to very fine stuff at 1500 as the "no ppn" hole heads to us on the 1450 chart.

Edited by Rhosyn o Loegr
tryping errars

Posted
13 minutes ago, bigguscumulus said:

Not sure but I suspect the Irish sea is just reinvigorating the front. Looks pretty intense. Probably contributing to Irelands red warning.

Think it’s made landfall here ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
18 minutes ago, booferking said:

I give you Kilkenny Ireland records are being smashed. And still coming down endless.

sallins 2.JPG

Wow .. that's incredible .. looks like a ghost town in the middle of Siberia .. epic!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, StingJet said:

Wow .. that's incredible .. looks like a ghost town in the middle of Siberia .. epic!

I thought it was somewhere in the Dakotas in America! Like a scene from Fargo! 

Fargo.jpg

Posted
1 hour ago, snowy36 said:

This is good old british snow, when it fall it covers not like that cheap euro rubbish we were having last night :yahoo:  though i do have a mini Alp mountain in the back of my garden that must be nearly 60cm.

We live in a maritime climate......the old fashioned weather is mild lol..

It's the European/Eurasian continent that gives us the goodies from the east with cold air.

You will need the gulf stream to shut down for local created cold :D

Edited by Bryn Webster

Posted
2 minutes ago, Penfoel said:

Think it’s made landfall here ?

It's trying to here as well, here's hoping that light snow to the east meets the heavier to the west and it explodes into some kind of George Clooney film.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, keithlucky said:

Never seen that before front from the west  Wales  expanding east ward's joining precipitation from the east. Interesting radar watching ahead.

Been watching that build for a while, becoming tantalisingly close ?

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, booferking said:

I give you Kilkenny Ireland records are being smashed. And still coming down endless.

sallins 2.JPG

Stay safe...it looks like that patch ain't moving for a while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
23 minutes ago, andymusic said:

he was literally smiling like a Cheshire cat - he must practice in the mirror at home in Barry - to make sure he looks good on the tele - but that's not what he's there for and the week before this - and i'm sure he was following the gfs and ecm - or maybe he just delivers the news and doesn't even look at the models - I just don't get why he laid back on this - people's lives are at risk - idiot - I find him arrogant and egotistical when I've tried to converse with him on twitter in the past too, head stuck up his own ******* comes to mind - but his 1st responsibility should be to the people of wales to keep them safe - AND HE PLAINLY DID NOT DO THAT - SO HE SHOULD BE SACKED END OF

Sorry Andy, but you come on here when it gets wintry. Not all year round. Weather forecasts are a daily thing, if you were a weather man we wouldn’t hear any weather for most of the year.

Also, JayinCardiff I can confirm it snowed for you. You may have some

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, booferking said:

sallins 2.JPG

Stunning!  That's proper snow:)

Posted

Milk lorry can’t get here ... another 2 milkings and we are full ?

FE569C8E-2EBF-424F-A23B-32F12DA9983C.jpeg

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowmadsam said:

Sorry Andy, but you come on here when it gets wintry. Not all year round. Weather forecasts are a daily thing, if you were a weather man we wouldn’t hear any weather for most of the year.

Also, JayinCardiff I can confirm it snowed for you. You may have some

Have some what?

Posted

Less than one hour ... still falling and covered at least 3 inches 

54169655155__9D8C1D45-A5F5-4DB1-B9FF-DF044EE4C512.MOV

Posted
10 minutes ago, Penfoel said:

Milk lorry can’t get here ... another 2 milkings and we are full ?

FE569C8E-2EBF-424F-A23B-32F12DA9983C.jpeg

And then what? Will yu have to dump it? :sorry: