Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

I'v noticed over the years that the more members that are online with the Welsh Regional weather chat the more snow we get. We're up to 40 at the moment. A few more (50+?) could get us the snowmargeddon that Andymusic has been predicting for the last 10 days! Stay logged in folks - it will be worth it! :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, LJ1224 said:

For those that remember the 82 snow what was the lead up like to that? Do you guys think it will be similar? Really hoping to see something significant. Have been watching the forum and checking Twitter and forecasts like a hawk. 

I posted this a week ago for those who didn't see it

I remember 82 started snowing first day back in work after new year and it didn't stop for three days

Wife was 9 months pregnant and I was thinking I would have to get her to hospital on a sledge if she went into labour (lucky me she hang on until the 26th)

Never opened my gate in over a week as you just stepped over it (you couldn't see it)

Had to dig out the in-laws out as both their doors was on the same side of the bungalow and the snow was up to the eaves over both doors

Took me nearly 7 hours to feed the horses on the mountain behind me (usually took an hour max walking or 20 minutes in the car)

We were cut off for a week nothing in and nothing out apart from the train which was running hours late. Police on the platform to stop fighting as people tried to get on (I just watched and then went back home)

No bread or milk or very little and they were charging a £1 for a loaf and a pint when it got through (about treble the price normally if I remember right)

Worst of the lot the local pub ran out of beer

This is what you have to look forward to :sorry:

But I cant wait

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

We are at -6°C with a 30-40mph Gale blowing from the east

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain
9 minutes ago, LJ1224 said:

For those that remember the 82 snow what was the lead up like to that? Do you guys think it will be similar? Really hoping to see something significant. Have been watching the forum and checking Twitter and forecasts like a hawk. 

Attached charts show 1982 blizzard, the weather fronts coming from the W/SW rather than South it did stall and head back south it was fine margins mind.

NOAA_1_1982010818_1.png

NOAA_1_1982010818_2.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Loadsa2000 said:

I remember 82 started snowing first day back in work after new year and it didn't stop for three days

Wife was 9 months pregnant and I was thinking I would have to get her to hospital on a sledge if she went into labour (lucky me she hang on until the 26th)

Never opened my gate in over a week as you just stepped over it (you couldn't see it)

Had to dig out the in-laws out as both their doors was on the same side of the bungalow and the snow was up to the eaves over both doors

Took me nearly 7 hours to feed the horses on the mountain behind me (usually took an hour max walking or 20 minutes in the car)

We were cut off for a week nothing in and nothing out apart from the train which was running hours late. Police on the platform to stop fighting as people tried to get on (I just watched and then went back home)

No bread or milk or very little and they were charging a £1 for a loaf and a pint when it got through (about treble the price normally if I remember right)

But I cant wait

What did the temps drop to? Do you remember?   It's now -7 here without the wind chill! Think that's the coldest I've ever seen ...... So far! 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Marcus_surfer said:

Plenty more showers coming rapid movement from east to west before the main course tommorow

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
2 minutes ago, Marcus_surfer said:

-7 here and the wind has defo increased! ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Tomorrow into Firday will be very interesting, especially for those in E/SE Wales. Heavy snow driffting about with strong winds, so it wont take much accumulation to be blown about and cause problems, especially if its still the drier type of snow.

Below are from the Netwx-SR model:

temps.thumb.png.4273da6942c490ddddedd2c199f49082.pngwindgusts.thumb.png.288821d03b0cff007822c40e47d30d9e.pngprecip.thumb.png.60afeb6a86b5d9fc6d8bd47e1bb92940.png

Lighter snow generally to the West of Bridgend, but still most areas should see some. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Down to -5.1C here, bitter in that wind, predicted high of around -2/-3C tomorrow, mad to think that for the first day of March! 

Posted

First time I've felt compelled to post in 9+ winters of lurking. 

Living in Cardiff, 2010 was the best I can remember, but it came right out of the blue.

Hopefully we're on the brink of something special (but safe). 

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow and thanks for the entertainment over the years. 

• Like 5

Posted
20 minutes ago, snowy36 said:

I dont think i will ever see anything like that in my lifetime , i was 8  and i remember opening the back door and it was a long way over my head, :)  Plus it was the middle of winter.  LJ go here and gavin will tell u all about it. gavsweathervids.com/winter81-82.html

Yep it was the 1st week in Jan and it snowed for nearly 3 days solid where we lived at that time... Manorbier in Pembrokeshire... I don't think we are in for 3days solid in the 'Far' West Wales but we are certainly in for some snow :D 

• Like 3

Posted

I was 7 in 82 and lived in north Wales. Remember my dad taking me and my sister to school (school was indeed open but think it must have been the day before the big one) and couldn't see hand in front of face and the snow was coming over top of my red wellies :D. Got sent home a bit later. Then woke up next morning and drifts covered over down stairs windows (had to dig out of house) supplies had to be air lifted into town and we spent the days building snow houses and forts in the drifts 

• Like 5

Posted
20 minutes ago, whiskers said:

What did the temps drop to? Do you remember?   It's now -7 here without the wind chill! Think that's the coldest I've ever seen ...... So far! 

no sorry cant remember all I know was when I went up the farm my hair that was sticking out of my hat was frozen when I got home could snap it

Posted
29 minutes ago, LJ1224 said:

26 minutes ago, snowy36 said:

I dont think i will ever see anything like that in my lifetime , i was 8  and i remember opening the back door and it was a long way over my head, :)  Plus it was the middle of winter.

Sadly I was only 3 in 1982, though my Dad tells me the snow was over my head and he had to carry me on his shoulders :)  

Some good video footage of the event here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-42615172

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, Loadsa2000 said:

But I cant wait

Gosh... Sounds like you had a 'hellish' time... It certainly isn't fun for all and is something we must appreciate x I have very fond memories of it. If you check my profile page I did a post last week about how it was one of my fondest memories... But I guess we were lucky x 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!
2 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Loads of snow showers coming from the east.

Dying out as they come inland atm so can't see them getting near here

Posted

bit more about 82

we lived in Caerphilly around the corner from the miners hospital at the time.

When I walked around to the in-laws they had a car on the drive and if you didn't know you would think it was just snow. Banked up to the wall was probably in excess of an a 8ft drift.

When I walked up Caerphilly mountain to feed the horses (the guy that owned the land, first sign of snow used to disappear to his daughters in Cardiff and left the horses to get on with it) the snow was up to my waist on the way up but when you got to the top there was barely a covering because of the wind. The track to the stables was thigh deep.

Anyway got to the stables and there was 6 or 7 horses running back and for in front of the stable block but couldn't go any further as the snow was to deep. Opened up the stables plus his hay store to get on with it.

Water came from a spring which flowed into a below ground concrete tank (which had a leak halfway up so had to get the water with a bucket and rope) . Went to get the water buckets filled and had the shock of my life. A vixen must of run across the snow which had formed a lid and was sat in the bottom of it. Off I trudged looking for a way to get her, anyway found an old ladder and put that in, after a while she climbed it and ran across the field to the woods she stopped and looked back before she disappeared. I know it sounds silly but to this day I think she was saying thanks.

Anyway finished breaking the ice and watered the horses. 

Had to do that trek twice more that week. The guy who owned the place could never understand how the horses opened the stable with his hay store.

•  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Substantial shift east by the GFS.

18z

0DE0AF2D-923C-40A4-9E15-901C358873AF.thumb.png.7ecdc53320dbfb5c94f96d75da3c82bd.png

12z

A3559668-9B11-4836-AADB-46347A27261F.thumb.png.95626706c0e7a4a6ccd2bf339a4898d8.png

Edited by bradythemole
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters

The radar seems to be on the blink tonight... we have moderate snow falling in Trefriw, but the radar shows us as dry?