Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow

Darkness........blowing a hoolie................................................................blizzard...

Posted

Wales will get it's own RED one tomoz i'm sure

The Met Office has issued a red warning for snow – the highest level of warning – for parts of central Scotland.
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

Wales will get it's own RED one tomoz i'm sure

The Met Office has issued a red warning for snow – the highest level of warning – for parts of central Scotland.

My son in Falkirk says its crazy there its  been all day.......their in the RED......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds

This should calm people down :D . Even 5/6 cm further west according to ARPEGE. 

Calm Down Folks.PNG

Edited by MattTarrant
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, MattTarrant said:

This should calm people down :D . Even 5/6 cm further west. according to ARPEGE. 

Calm Down Folks.PNG

Im in the reddish area.......

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Blizzard here, big flakes and everything going white!

• Like 2

Posted

I think it's an indication of how atrocious previous winters have been when a few flurries have turned this winter into a good one, IMO. Minie blizzards here, but very little on the ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

That beefy snow shower looks like it has swansea right in its path. Fun rush hour!

Posted

That beefy snow shower looks like it has swansea right in its path. Fun rush hour!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Well that was the heaviest snow I've seen all winter and the temp has dropped to -2.5C

Snow2018.thumb.jpg.ba929a682bc89c619e1d53cc6bf60289.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Here's something I've always wondered: when they refer to "the hills", are they talking about all hilly areas (because the Valleys are very hilly) or just the Beacons, Black Mountains etc?

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
6 minutes ago, pyrotech said:

The latest Met office graphics make it look a non event

Just been put on the Met office twitter

Non event ? That don't look like a non event to me ' thats a cracking blizzard coming .

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, pyrotech said:

The latest Met office graphics make it look a non event

Just been put on the Met office twitter

hmmmmmm not sure that agrees with their forecaste for my area

Posted
4 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

Here's something I've always wondered: when they refer to "the hills", are they talking about all hilly areas (because the Valleys are very hilly) or just the Beacons, Black Mountains etc?

The difference between a hill and a mountain is that a hill is generally a smaller landform than a mountain. Both are elevated above surrounding areas but hills more often have gently slopping sides, while mountains can have steep sides, even sheer sides.

Posted

Speaking purely from an IMBY point of view, in terms of snow this looks like being a relative non-event for Carmarthenshire, Swansea, etc. I base this on having looked at a hell of a lot of charts and projections today. I just don't feel that's it's going to be anything dramatic or exciting on the snow side. Very worryingly freezing rain looks like being a potential problem on Friday and, let's be honest, what sane person wants to see freezing rain? I've experienced it - it makes all roads and pavements extremely dangerous and readily brings down power and phone lines.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Loadsa2000 said:

The difference between a hill and a mountain is that a hill is generally a smaller landform than a mountain. Both are elevated above surrounding areas but hills more often have gently slopping sides, while mountains can have steep sides, even sheer sides.

Yes, a mountain in the UK is classified as anything above 610 m (a molehill compared to the Himalayas and Andes!), and the Valleys are generally between 150-350 m or so, making this area most definitely hilly in that sense, but I've still never been sure what forecasters are referring to when it comes to "heavy snow on the hills; when people think of the hills of South Wales, they think of the Beacons and Black Mountains.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
4 minutes ago, Buzz said:

Speaking purely from an IMBY point of view, in terms of snow this looks like being a relative non-event for Carmarthenshire, Swansea, etc. I base this on having looked at a hell of a lot of charts and projections today. I just don't feel that's it's going to be anything dramatic or exciting on the snow side. Very worryingly freezing rain looks like being a potential problem on Friday and, let's be honest, what sane person wants to see freezing rain? I've experienced it - it makes all roads and pavements extremely dangerous and readily brings down power and phone lines.

I've been trying to stay positive but all the high res models show it. Met Office graphics show it (though their automated forecast does show snow now)...

BBC website graphics even show it! I find it quite hilarious but I'm going to be disappointed at the same time

Snow shielda.PNG

Edited by swales
  • Like 1

Posted

You can see Emma approaching on this radar, currently across Central France:

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/radar/europe.html

The precipitation is further east than I expected, but I suspect that that doesn't tell the whole story as the bulk of the system is to the west, out of radar range.

Posted
1 minute ago, swales said:

I've been trying to stay positive but all the high red models show it. Met Office graphics show it (though their automated forecast does show snow now)...

BBC website graphics even show it! I find it quite hilarious but I'm going to be disappointed at the same time

Snow shielda.PNG

It's amazing, isn't it. That gap has been ever present in the models for days, consistent and annoyingly impressive. Hope it's wrong.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, A Frayed Knot said:

Non event ? That don't look like a non event to me ' thats a cracking blizzard coming .

I'm wondering if this is sarcasm - looks fantastic to me - Thursday and Friday booked 

• Like 1

Posted

I think need to relax a little out west. Looks better so far this evening than before. Not the 30cm in other places but still a decent covering. Pembs May actually be worst hit out west. See if Euro4 improves for the folk out west!

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, swales said:

I've been trying to stay positive but all the high res models show it. Met Office graphics show it (though their automated forecast does show snow now)...

Snow shielda.PNG

Yes, I'm afraid that the Welsh Government's new state-of-the-art snow shield (based in Carmarthen) appears to be fully functional ...........