Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Hi Jay, 

Do not take those charts as anywhere near accurate, but they give you an idea of snow potential and of course the wind makes drifting, i think Friday Morning rush hour may be rather interesting

• Like 1

Posted

I have to say (showing my age) that I remember 1982 and it was something else. I don't think any of the younger members on here have ever seen snow like it.

The schools were shut for at least 2 weeks and there were announcements on the radio (CBC at the time before all the red dragon and capital stations) that parents were asked to stop their children riding their bikes across Roath Park lake as it was frozen solid.

If we had an event anywhere near as bad as it was then I think a lot of people would be shocked and there will be major issues. 30cm sounds a lot but I lived in Roath at the time not really considered an area with any elevation and the snow was waist deep in our street with drifts up to the upper floors of the houses in places.

We will have to see how this compares but it would have to go some to get close to 1982.

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, pyrotech said:

How come we seem to lose 10cm from Thursday to Friday? bit weird that

Posted
1 minute ago, Cwmbran Eira said:

How come we seem to lose 10cm from Thursday to Friday? bit weird that

IF you look at the bar at the bottom it is 2 different colours as the model is updating the darker colour is the 18z and the grey is the 12z

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

I seem to be only one who is a little more apprehensive after 6z runs. But still pretty confident. Let’s see what euro4 shows. Tomorrow snow seems a definite now but tomorrow night into Friday still uncertain. GFS has rain for most by early Friday before colder air digs south again. Just waiting for arpege

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
7 minutes ago, djwayne said:

I have to say (showing my age) that I remember 1982 and it was something else. I don't think any of the younger members on here have ever seen snow like it.

The schools were shut for at least 2 weeks and there were announcements on the radio (CBC at the time before all the red dragon and capital stations) that parents were asked to stop their children riding their bikes across Roath Park lake as it was frozen solid.

If we had an event anywhere near as bad as it was then I think a lot of people would be shocked and there will be major issues. 30cm sounds a lot but I lived in Roath at the time not really considered an area with any elevation and the snow was waist deep in our street with drifts up to the upper floors of the houses in places.

We will have to see how this compares but it would have to go some to get close to 1982.

I was 15 in 1982 and remember it well living at high elevation in the valleys. Exactly same memories off school for 2 weeks and snow drifts shoulder height!

However, I also remember in that era - late 70's / early 80's - going to bed with heavy snow forecast and hoping for a day off school - opening the curtains in the morning and nothing - forecast wrong! I am not saying this will happen but might be the potential for some disappointment, hopefully not.

Posted
2 minutes ago, bradythemole said:

I seem to be only one who is a little more apprehensive after 6z runs. But still pretty confident. Let’s see what euro4 shows. Tomorrow snow seems a definite now but tomorrow night into Friday still uncertain. GFS has rain for most by early Friday before colder air digs south again. Just waiting for arpege

Worth remembering that the Aperge run rolling out now is yesterday's 18Z things may well have changed in the last 12 hours as there has been mentions of southward corrections of the low which may keep the colder air over us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Wow met office going for 50cm Dartmoor, SW England. 1.5ft/2ft of Snow

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

Good to see us moving up the matrix with a higher possibility of this coming off. It's going to be a nail biting 24 hours waiting for Emma to arrive.

Posted

Not only have they upped the likelihood but they have also brought the warning forward 2 hours from 14:00 to 12:00

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, bradythemole said:

Just looked at that. 0 degree isotherm certainly over wales. Any higher than that could be an issue. Still don't trust GFS in short term. Look to met office and euro 4 and Arpege I reckon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

Surprised to see tumbleweed blowing through the MOD thread today. They must all be out enjoying their snow. I think it's the quietest i've ever known it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
2 minutes ago, PompeyFC said:

Just looked at that. 0 degree isotherm certainly over wales. Any higher than that could be an issue. Still don't trust GFS in short term. Look to met office and euro 4 and Arpege I reckon

That's my worry and what I commented on earlier what happened when 'big' events like this were forecast - sometimes they didn;t unfold which would be an incredibly downbeat scenario for most of us! I have been counting down the days for this to happen, kept reasonably quiet in work - only to insist they hire 4x4s for tomorrow and the weekend... so egg on my face if it doesn;t turn out as bad!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Yes heavy snow in London

Posted

Amber Warning of Snow and Ice for Wales : Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Pembrokeshire, Powys, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Swansea, Torfaen & Vale of Glamorgan valid from 1200 Thu 01 Mar to 0800 Fri 02 Mar

Yellow Warning of Wind and Snow for Wales : Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Pembrokeshire, Powys, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Swansea, Torfaen, Vale of Glamorgan & Wrexham valid from 0800 Thu 01 Mar to 2355 Thu 01 Mar

Posted
9 minutes ago, CRACKPOT said:

That's my worry and what I commented on earlier what happened when 'big' events like this were forecast - sometimes they didn;t unfold which would be an incredibly downbeat scenario for most of us! I have been counting down the days for this to happen, kept reasonably quiet in work - only to insist they hire 4x4s for tomorrow and the weekend... so egg on my face if it doesn;t turn out as bad!

The MO would have to backtrack significantly for our area John - if anything the heavy stuff gets going earlier on Thursday and then though the intensity decreases as we head to the early hours of Friday it just keeps going pretty much through to Sunday with no sign of a thaw - is that even possible?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, benytezz said:

is a thaw setting in straight after it, or is the cold hanging on, with more events?

edit - need to know cos i'm debating getting another gas bottle for the stand alone gas fire.

do it anyway as a back up - back ups in these situations are crucial

Posted
4 minutes ago, Stevetynant said:

The MO would have to backtrack significantly for our area John - if anything the heavy stuff gets going earlier on Thursday and then though the intensity decreases as we head to the early hours of Friday it just keeps going pretty much through to Sunday with no sign of a thaw - is that even possible?

yes - depth of Siberian temps  - MAKES IT SO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow
2 minutes ago, andymusic said:

yes - depth of Siberian temps  - MAKES IT SO

Ive got Amber for Thursday and Friday........

Posted

Why is the MO and the BBC forecast so different ? - Heavy snow pretty much all day Thursday on the MO - Light snow and breezy on the Beeb - more to the point who do we trust before I book tomorrow off?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Getting the cawl on the go soon, plus some SpagBol. Plenty of beer and wine in. 

Must get some candles etc and an ignitor for the gas fire. Forget the snow shovel. What's the point?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground
Just now, Stevetynant said:

Why is the MO and the BBC forecast so different ? - Heavy snow pretty much all day Thursday on the MO - Light snow and breezy on the Beeb - more to the point who do we trust before I book tomorrow off?

im the same....i think the bbc since they have stopped using the met office have completely changed their website and so on..im sticking with the met office.always have. still dont know if i should make the journey in tomorrow morning or need.long way back from bridgend  if i do come in and mamangment today are saying if you come in there is a chance that you may have to stay if it snows to cover others

Posted
6 minutes ago, Stevetynant said:

MO and me - the bbc couldn't organize a p**s up in a brewery as they'd rather drink all our licence fee payers money instead lol

• Like 1