Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
8 hours ago, KidCarm said:

Whats with the narrow less cold uppers from Swansea up to the north with colder uppers to the west and east, seeing it repeated on GFS all the time no matter where the low is on the runs....anyway GFS looking better to me as cold and snow lasts into Saturday

48-7UK.thumb.gif.cb230abd148df50a4e97bd575b6acf59.gif

That is a seriously weird aberration - looks like a massive heat source is keeping Carmarthenshire warmer than everywhere else!   I know I turned my heating up but it wouldn't have made THAT much difference!   If that doesn't change it could turn our snow to rain far too early, or leave us dry.   :cray::cray:

only made it down to -5.9C here last night - others places much colder - but tonight will be colder still.

Wild birds are hit hard by this weather - if you have the means to do it don't forget to put out some food for them.

Posted

just got up light snow here right now - had to go to out of hours last night - sellulitus on my legs - so got some strong antibiotics to combat plus brufen for inflammation, flippin cold though - got down to -5 on the cars temp gauge - never seen that low before - mind you we got a 4x4 Volvo xc70 - built for the Swedish pistes lol - good morning on this snowy winters day - we are now within historic territory of a momentus occasion - the st david's day great blizzard of 2018 - Snowy Storm Emma is nearly upon us - I hop you're all ready for this - because you will see the likes of this maybe never again - but it might very well become the norm because of the low to no sun spot activity which who knows maybe activates the ssw's we are now seeing - BUT OVERALL CONTROLS THE TEMPERATURE OF OUR PLANET - so if the sun sleeps we lose a degree or two and go into the freezer - SIMPLE LOGIC

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
3 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Could have a red warning for the valleys tomorrow I think.

Yep I reckon red warnings in an around South Wales and the parts of the South West with heavy snow blowing around in gale force winds.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

just got up light snow here right now - had to go to out of hours last night - sellulitus on my legs - so got some strong antibiotics to combat plus brufen for inflammation, flippin cold though - got down to -5 on the cars temp gauge - never seen that low before - mind you we got a 4x4 Volvo xc70 - built for the Swedish pistes lol - good morning on this snowy winters day - we are now within historic territory of a momentus occasion - the st david's day great blizzard of 2018 - Snowy Storm Emma is nearly upon us - I hop you're all ready for this - because you will see the likes of this maybe never again - but it might very well become the norm because of the low to no sun spot activity which who knows maybe activates the ssw's we are now seeing - BUT OVERALL CONTROLS THE TEMPERATURE OF OUR PLANET - so if the sun sleeps we lose a degree or two and go into the freezer - SIMPLE LOGIC

Hope you're alright mate. Bloody dog a few doors down barking like mad since 6am no chance of sleeping. 

I hope no fools travel tomorrow when the snow starts.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, A Frayed Knot said:

I never understand this ? input do help @andymusic

all the pinky purple bits are snow - and wales is wales on the map - so the pinky purply bits on the welsh map bits mean we are gonna have snow - and the different charts represent different parts of time - SIMPLES

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Light snow here slight dusting 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Jayfromcardiff said:

Hope you're alright mate. Bloody dog a few doors down barking like mad since 6am no chance of sleeping. 

I hope no fools travel tomorrow when the snow starts.

I seem to be ok touch wood - yes this weather will be a danger to many - but some just won't see it till it's too late - so some will die anyway - and that maybe is just their destiny or ignorance and stupidity - it makes me sad - but you can't save everyone from themselves

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

That is a seriously weird aberration - looks like a massive heat source is keeping Carmarthenshire warmer than everywhere else!   I know I turned my heating up but it wouldn't have made THAT much difference!   If that doesn't change it could turn our snow to rain far too early, or leave us dry.   :cray::cray:

only made it down to -5.9C here last night - others places much colder - but tonight will be colder still.

Wild birds are hit hard by this weather - if you have the means to do it don't forget to put out some food for them.

It won't be a static feature on the day; there's been an area of much higher 850s progged to move through for a couple of days now. I think that's the sector where freezing rain/ice ice is forecast (MetO have mentioned it a couple of times) as rain falls into the still below freezing lower atmosphere. Something else to look out for...

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

I seem to be ok touch wood - yes this weather will be a danger to many - but some just won't see it till it's too late - so some will die anyway - and that maybe is just their destiny or ignorance and stupidity - it makes me sad - but you can't save everyone from themselves

Latest snow predictions even have 30cm+ around Cardiff and Newport and on higher ground probably 40+.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow
1 minute ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Latest snow predictions even have 30cm+ around Cardiff and Newport and on higher ground probably 40+.

so maybe 40 for me in Brynmawr snowing now....

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, andymusic said:

Don’t get stuck in that hole again Andy.

Sure it was you who got your Volvo stuck in a hole during the dec 2010 event ??

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

because of the depth of cold and the amazingly low Siberian uppers - Altitude will not be a factor on how much snow any ne place gets - so don't be surprised to see loads of snow on welsh beaches as well as the mountains - but due to mountain torque forcings a few more cms/inches - even feet of snow with drifting will occur in the mountains no doubt

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Light dandruff like snow flying about here, not enough to give any covering but every flake is sticking thanks to it being -3c. Fun times ahead!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow.

I need it to be Thursday already!! Keeping everything crossed. Thanks for the updates all.

• Like 4

Posted
7 hours ago, bradythemole said:

Here it comes from the Euro4! Look at precip to the south moving north. Looking forward for that to come into range. 

2D44D750-7EB3-4B1E-A5C8-61CF8F6977E1.gif

Hmmm so frontal snowfall gets all the way up to North Wales before it hits Pembrokeshire , Carmarthenshire and Swanseashire ?

That must be one hell of a mild sector - it’s been the most consistently modelled thing so far this cold snap .

I think it will be more evenly spread as opposed to zilch and 40 cm .

Were this to be streamers then I would agree with the charts ..

Cardiff likely to trounce Swansea in the snow depth battle on this occasion - does that mean Swansea will still get relegated to be replaced by Cardiff ?

On that basis though Merthyr Tydfil would be in the champions league .

Just viewed bbc forecast now and I can see now how the models are showing what they are .

Yes , West Wales 3-4 inches East 12+ .

So long as I can make ny daughters first ever snowman that will do me !

Edited by Seasonal weather required
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: sun and snow
8 minutes ago, lindy2222 said:

so maybe 40 for me in Brynmawr snowing now....

Let's hope so.  I live in Brynmawr too. On Lakeside  :-)

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Seasonal weather required said:

we had a Mondeo estate which was useless and I had a Volvo sports car a c70 - pretty good but not a 4x4 - it only had the Volvo front traction power differential - which if one side slipped it would put power more onto the other side - it did help but this car we have now we bought specifically for this sort of event - but personally speaking i'd rather stay off the roads - because I might well be safe in my car but the numpties in their Vauxhalls or fiestas sliding around everywhere and trying to kill themselves on the famous Graigerhorn won't be able to control their veichles and will end up crashing into me anyway - so our car will only be used in a dire emergency, and i'll stay safely off the roads with my supplies - back up gas cookerd and heater and candles - and explore sledging with my husky dog gracie - mush mush mush lol - safety is a big part of this - to stay safe to live another day - I pray everyone stays safe - but we may all not be that lucky

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Seasonal weather required said:

just got stuck - couldn't get cars out for 3 weeks - and had to sledge the xmas dinner in from the main road - with my dad - who god bless his soul died last year in September from motor neurone disease and I said my last goodbyes to him at his funeral in October - a great bluebirds fan and he loved his football too - I love you dad RIP

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Seasonal weather required said:

Hmmm so frontal snowfall gets all the way up to North Wales before it hits Pembrokeshire , Carmarthenshire and Swanseashire ?

That must be one hell of a mild sector - it’s been the most consistently modelled thing so far this cold snap .

Cardiff likely to trounce Swansea in the snow depth battle on this occasion - does that mean Swansea will still get relegated to be replaced by Cardiff ?

Yes - Neil Warnock's barmy army!

Going up, going down, going up, going down! The blues are going up and the jack's are going down!

In all honesty I think Swansea will still do well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

Expect details to firm up during the day and this evening.

I would expect a red warning to be issued for parts of south and east wales tomorrow.

Areas worst affected will be the valley up to Heads of the Valleys into the Beacons. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, LJ1224 said:

I need it to be Thursday already!! Keeping everything crossed. Thanks for the updates all.

patience - snow will fall today as well

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Seasonal weather required said:

I think the valleys could well be the winners in this situ - but ALL OF US will get the snow we desire out of this DO NOT PANIC

Screenshot_20180228-072541.png

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: sun and snow

-6.4 degrees in brynmawr.  Snowing gently.  Absolutely freezing. Only issue with my weather station is it's not high enough to give accurate wind direction.  Def not SW lol

Screenshot_20180228-072541.png