Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Crazy forecast for Cardiff city centre on Thursday.

-2c max in daytime with snow arriving, 45MPH winds!!! 

ECM showing 25mm of precipitation over the two days for Cardiff.

81D5973F-6578-41D8-A558-6616153A7DA0.png

• Like 5

Posted
23 minutes ago, Marcus_surfer said:

I’d assume eastern wales shows greater PPN and accumulation because of the strong easterly wind? Hitting the higher mountains 

The direction of travel of the front also needs to be taken into consideration - looking at met office fax charts it's approaching from the south/south east therefore it makes sense that south east Wales, etc will take the main brunt (as exhibited by assorted snowfall total maps). The mountains just lap it up.

Historic snowfalls in Wales often come in from the south west (or west) but this time it's different due to the the low approaching from the south. It's all rather unusual hence the highly uncertain forecasts.

Edited by Buzz
  • Like 1

Posted

This is the only reason I could think of also as there is a really big difference in what is predicted for Carmarthen - Swansea -  Cardiff .( 1-2, 2-3, 8-12 inches respectively ) 

A big difference even from Bridgend to Cardiff.

Now if this was rain would it be so different ?

Considering all areas are slap bang in the amber zone and with frontal snowfall ,I can’t see the difference being so vast .

Higher ground yes but as much as what is being shown for lower ground - no .

This has also been shown fairly consistently so can anyone with more knowledge on this explain ? .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers
21 minutes ago, bradythemole said:

Crazy forecast for Cardiff city centre on Thursday.

-2c max in daytime with snow arriving, 45MPH winds!!! 

ECM showing 25mm of precipitation over the two days for Cardiff.

81D5973F-6578-41D8-A558-6616153A7DA0.png

Charge yr phone mate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow.

Where do I need to be to get lots of snow? Port Talbot really doesn't look too promising. I've never looked at the weather so much in my life!

Posted

Me and Rhys are going to the Tredegar Arms in Beasley what time can we expect you ?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

I think a large part of there being less precipitation in the West (Swansea) Thu/Fri is based on the strong easterly surface flow training precipitation over upland areas of S & E Wales. Not much change since yersterday - Increasing likelyhood of the event happening and now an Amber warning issued by the Met Office.

Remember small adjustments in the positioning of the low will result in differences in precipitation distribution.....That being said It would not suprise me if a Red warning is issued for parts of E/SE Wales due to wind gusts/heavy snow (Blizzard conditions) - We will see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail
9 minutes ago, Seasonal weather required said:

This is the only reason I could think of also as there is a really big difference in what is predicted for Carmarthen - Swansea -  Cardiff .( 1-2, 2-3, 8-12 inches respectively ) 

A big difference even from Bridgend to Cardiff.

Now if this was rain would it be so different ?

Considering all areas are slap bang in the amber zone and with frontal snowfall ,I can’t see the difference being so vast .

Higher ground yes but as much as what is being shown for lower ground - no .

This has also been shown fairly consistently so can anyone with more knowledge on this explain ? .

i wouldn't say i'm knowledgeable, but my best guess is just that. GUESS work. the models have struggled every bit of the way with this event. i think it's just a case of suck it and see on the day. the chance is there for every one of us to have an epic time of it, so let's just hope so, eh? let's all just enjoy it. not often we have a big orange warning smack bang on top of us like this.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stevetynant said:

Me and Rhys are going to the Tredegar Arms in Beasley what time can we expect you ?

Where's Beasley though Steve? :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very cold.
2 minutes ago, SnowStorm(Jamie) said:

I think a large part of there being less precipitation in the West (Swansea) Thu/Fri is based on the strong easterly surface flow training precipitation over upland areas of S & E Wales. Not much change since yersterday - Increasing likelyhood of the event happening and now an Amber warning issued by the Met Office.

Remember small adjustments in the positioning of the low will result in differences in precipitation distribution.....That being said It would not suprise me if a Red warning is issued for parts of E/SE Wales due to wind gusts/heavy snow (Blizzard conditions) - We will see!

It could of course go the other way and be downgraded, (hopefully not) it's still 48hrs away so plenty of time to change

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

Maps outage

Due to unprecedented levels of demand on our website we have temporarily replaced some of the less visited pages and unfortunately are currently unable to provide our usual weather and observation maps.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/website/map-outage#?map=Rainfall&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01&fcTime=1402763400

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Had some moderate/heavy snow showers on and off all day right down to the coast where I work in Sully, its never stuck apart from the grass after dark but it was lovely to see all day. go 2-3miles inland and there didn't really seem to be much and nothing back home in Tondu/Bridgend. Hopefully tomorrow will have some more heavy snow showers and then all go Thursday/Friday! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

10k run in -3 conditions...frozen pavements and a proper cold wind.cant wait for Thursday to be here.would anybody recommend I drive to Bridgend at 6 am and then try and get back to bargoed at 6 pm?

Posted
2 minutes ago, dbaloo said:

10k run in -3 conditions...frozen pavements and a proper cold wind.cant wait for Thursday to be here.would anybody recommend I drive to Bridgend at 6 am and then try and get back to bargoed at 6 pm?

No, but keep updated on forecasts

Suggest icy going on route down, light occasionally moderate snow most of day after 10am but may be tricky getting home late afternoon, a half day sounds good advice and  keep listening to forecast . Much can change on snow amounts  - wind if snow does come as forecast will cause issues with drifting.

Posted
1 minute ago, pyrotech said:

No, but keep updated on forecasts

Suggest icy going on route down, light occasionally moderate snow most of day after 10am but may be tricky getting home late afternoon, a half day sounds good advice and  keep listening to forecast . Much can change on snow amounts  - wind if snow does come as forecast will cause issues with drifting.

Is there no heavy snow now pyro?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
13 minutes ago, dbaloo said:

Put simply no why would anybody recommend that with blizzards forecasted

Posted

Precip decreased a little bit on Icon 18z. Let’s see what GFS does 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
30 minutes ago, benytezz said:

Thank you for that Benytezz, really enjoyed watching it, not least for the fact that it wasn’t the complete tripe we get on bbc these days.  I was 20 years old, stuck in a derbyshire hamlet, with a broken down Rayburn, cooking off the open coal fire and all of us sleeping in the lounge.  We walked five miles into town to get supplies and managed to get a lift back for part of the way. Much as I love snow, I never want to go through that again.

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 1

Posted

Precip decreased a little bit on Icon 18z. Let’s see what GFS does