Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms
2 minutes ago, Herefordweather said:

Can’t see the showers even reaching me in Hereford let alone South Wales. Can see this cold spell being disappointing snow wise for us

Until Thursday night into Friday. Then you will see some very heavy snow ❄️ 

But I am inclined to agree. Anything prior to Thursday/ Friday is a bonus. But what is different this time around is the ground temps. By the time the end of the week is here EVERYTHING that falls will stick. 

There will be many twists and turns during the week. That's a given. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Wales has its very own block of -16 uppers on Thursday according to the GEM!!

image.thumb.png.e44d69b1e6b8ee75bda259a80c073e99.png

Whatever the actual upper temperatures fall to, it seems that Wales, and South Wales in particular, can confidently expect some heavy snow on Thursday and Friday. Hope you got your portable gas heater, Andy!  :cold:

• Like 3

Posted

I understand your pain people of Wales - and the fact you've been bitten before and will not believe until the snow is up to your window ledge or more lol - but it's coming believe me - looking out the window you are scratching your heads thinking this ain't gonna happen - the sun is shining and it looks like a perfect spring day - but don't be fooled - mother nature is about to hit us very very hard - believe me - IT IS GONNA HAPPEN - we are gonna get pasted:cold::cold::cold::cold:  - BE WARNED THIS IS GONNA BE VERY DANGEROUS FOR MANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, andymusic said:

I understand your pain people of Wales - and the fact you've been bitten before and will not believe until the snow is up to your window ledge or more lol - but it's coming believe me - looking out the window you are scratching your heads thinking this ain't gonna happen - the sun is shining and it looks like a perfect spring day - but don't be fooled - mother nature is about to hit us very very hard - believe me - IT IS GONNA HAPPEN - we are gonna get pasted:cold::cold::cold::cold:  - BE WARNED THIS IS GONNA BE VERY DANGEROUS FOR MANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We'll see mate. Not getting too excited......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
1 hour ago, andymusic said:

I don't wanna use it - the two gas cookers would you believe are flipping camping gas cookers - with butane gas canisters - just about good enough for a saucepan with soup or beans in lol - and the heater is a fishing heater with gas canisters 28 of them from amazon (4 hours heating from each canister) - so they better get there skates on by today early tomorrow to get that too - it's only in dire emergencies if the flipping power goes, we got lots of candles too - but i'm prepared for just about anything now and hunkered down - even cancelled the decorators for tomorrow too - we were about to give the whole bungalow a complete makeover - but that'll have to wait until mother nature has finished with trying to bury us under this snow storm - don't wanna start something and be left with a mess and the house in an unlivable condition lol

OH NO!  Not a bungalow, is it?  Too bad, Andy -  when the snow reaches above your windows you won't be able to get out!!  You better start digging on Thursday and don't stop until Friday afternoon.  :rofl: 

• Like 1

Posted

Is anybody old enough to remember the forecast in the days leading up to the infamous, era-defining blizzard of January '82? I've searched on Youtube for archive forecasts but... nothing.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

OH NO!  Not a bungalow, is it?  Too bad, Andy -  when the snow reaches above your windows you won't be able to get out!!  You better start digging on Thursday and don't stop until Friday afternoon.  :rofl: 

I've got my mega sized snow shovel at the ready - but maybe I should have ordered one of those snow blowers the americans use lol

• Like 1

Posted

Agree Jay. Been bitten plenty of times. You can never be sure of snow until you see it falling from the sky. Reasonably confident of Thursday Friday though 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow
46 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

ICON looks promising for parts of Wales

00_111_uksnowdepth.thumb.png.984cdc5f3611749db2ab072994175f75.png00_120_uksnowdepth.thumb.png.4120aa9400387f1b7b05d88f44fa3e25.png

Im in the red....we always get snow even when rain is predicted...........................

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail
41 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

Is anybody old enough to remember the forecast in the days leading up to the infamous, era-defining blizzard of January '82? I've searched on Youtube for archive forecasts but... nothing.

yep. they said NOTHING was gonna happen. then KERBLAMMO. i am wondering if all this flip flopping is simply designed to prevent panic buying, and hoarding, then come Thursday, 'oops, that took us by surprise'

what IS the latest consensus about the 'big' event anyway, before i go back to work?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail
53 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

We'll see mate. Not getting too excited......

my missus said the same last night, funnily enough. no, SERIOUSLY, she did, about this snow event!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.
45 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

I remember '82, but don't remember any forecasts. Though I'm thinking it can't have been expected. My Mum and Dad went out and I stayed with my sister for the night, I ended up snowed in up there for about a week and even when my Mum managed to travel to get me, half the roads were still blocked and closed. I'm pretty sure she'd have kept me home if she expected heavy snow fall, my Mum always erred on the side of caution and liked to be prepared. It certainly took her by surprise.

Posted

All weather forecasts are still on board , it's just sit tight and see , I'm expecting more warnings, warnings from the school and my son's rugby training off for the foreseeable ! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

If this is the path it takes some of us will c a good amount of snow 

Screenshot_20180226-091450.png

Screenshot_20180226-091441.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Very light snow here, which is a lot sooner than I expected.

question for the more knowledgeable ones.  Although hard frost forecast last few nights and temps below zero, no visible signother than frozen water.  Is that because the air is so dry?

Posted
1 minute ago, snefnug said:

Very light snow here, which is a lot sooner than I expected.

question for the more knowledgeable ones.  Although hard frost forecast last few nights and temps below zero, no visible signother than frozen water.  Is that because the air is so dry?

yep and the ground is hard as nails - I got a bucket half filled with water out the back completely iced up with deep ice - that's how cold it really is

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Whilst I have my concerns over Thursday/Friday and we may not get as much snow as previously thought, I still believe here in Wales, even South Wales we will be just far enough north at the moment we can hold onto the cold air long enough to make it an all snow event. I may be completely wrong and we are very close to the margin of error but hopefully we should keep it as an all snow event here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms, sun, anything photogenic.
2 hours ago, Herefordweather said:

Can’t see the showers even reaching me in Hereford let alone South Wales. Can see this cold spell being disappointing snow wise for us

I'd say the 06z GFS is ok for snow for the Hereford area Thursday night - Friday. Milder air being held back a little? Snow depth looks ok by Saturday.

uksnowdepth.png

Edited by Barry Reynolds
Add image.

Posted

Well earlier I was down for snow on metoffice for Tuesday, Wed, Thurs and Friday. Just looked and now only for Thursday.   typical.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.
1 minute ago, alijoe said:

Well earlier I was down for snow on metoffice for Tuesday, Wed, Thurs and Friday. Just looked and now only for Thursday.   typical.

I think it will change many times before the low reaches our shores. I keep watching the forecasts for Cardiff flip flop between heavy snow, sleet and rain. Nothing is set in stone yet.

• Thanks 1