Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
8 minutes ago, Clair_Witch said:

Derek being on board is an excellent sign! He always plays down snow events, definitely not a ramper. 

The Mad thread is certainly living up to it's name today. Very tense in there, think I'll stay in the cosy Welsh thread. Lol

Model thread is bonkers! Today it's like having a jury with one person disagreeing with the other 11, and they are all try to change his mind!

Posted

Sounds ominous with a possible red warning being issued at some point later in the week after reading that Twitter thread with Derek and Ian Ferguson.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters

First Amber warning for snow about to be issued by MetO for Tuesday's feature... likely to include areas of east & mid wales

• Like 1

Posted

Yellow Warning of Snow for Wales : Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Flintshire, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Powys, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Torfaen, Vale of Glamorgan, Wrexham, Swansea, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Denbighshire, Gwynedd, Pembrokeshire & Conwy valid from 0005 Tue 27 Feb to 2355 Tue 27 Feb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

So, given that some serious weather looks like commencing come Thursday, would anybody be brave/foolish enough to single out where they think the sweet spots could be, based on current evidence? Don't hunt me down if this map isn't entirely accurate or if the model output changes, but I'll go with locations inside the red line seeing significant snow with places outside of it (Swansea, for example) also potentially seeing some. The southern half of the RoI is also included, and if there weren't so many doubts about less cold air filtering into the far south I'd also include inland Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset.

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 12.05.40.jpg

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

Yellow Warning of Snow for Wales : Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Flintshire, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Powys, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Torfaen, Vale of Glamorgan, Wrexham, Swansea, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Denbighshire, Gwynedd, Pembrokeshire & Conwy valid from 0005 Tue 27 Feb to 2355 Tue 27 Feb

Had to happen extended warnings across Wales -15 uppers unstable air flow very cold convection good all the ingredients are there expect more snow than forecasted.

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, andymusic said:

Had to happen extended warnings across Wales -15 uppers unstable air flow very cold convection good all the ingredients are there expect more snow than forecasted.

Posted
2 minutes ago, keithlucky said:

Shot my arrow for Tuesday with a spell of snow crossing the region BULLSlEYE lol.

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

I was in the warning area they put up yesterday for Tuesday so which areas have they added today??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

All I know is that running this morning was cold!!ice had formed on the usk/Brecon canal and was still there at 10.40ish .sorry no photos I was in a race ?

Posted
14 minutes ago, freeze for all said:

I was in the warning area they put up yesterday for Tuesday so which areas have they added today??

Amber Waring upgrade from yellow.will come

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

i have just been making a modified box, using a  toaster box and gorilla tape :D for the tumble dryer oulet. that can be opened when she wants to dry clothes, and closed securely against the wind and snow when not. i have noticed quite a breeze coming from it on windy days, especially easterly windy days, as it faces east, as does our pine end. the breeze fairly whistles through there, as it does with the bathroom vent, also east facing. gorilla tape is brilliant stuff.

i VIVIDLY remember the snow in 78 and 82 getting EVERYWHERE, so my tip to you lot is prep NOW, because once it all gets going, you may find you are chasing powdery snow all over the gaff. seal up any east facing vents, as long as they're not vents for gas heaters or fires of course. please do NOT seal them up!

keep your eye on your attics too! if it gets as bad as it might do, you may even have DRIFTS in your attic if it's a draughty attic. you'll be grateful for this advice, believe me, if it gets really bad. if it doesn't get that bad, at least you were ready for the worst.

:)

20180225_105331.jpg

Edited by benytezz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, keithlucky said:

Amber Waring upgrade from yellow.

For Wales I mean not England

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
2 minutes ago, benytezz said:

i VIVIDLY remember the snow in 78 and 82 getting EVERYWHERE, so my tip to you lot is prep NOW, because once it all gets going, you may find you are chasing powdery snow all over the gaff. seal up any east facing vents, as long as they're not vents for gas heaters or fires of course. please do NOT seal them up!

keep your eye on your attics too! if it gets as bad as it might do, you may even have DRIFTS in your attic if it's a draughty attic. you'll be grateful for this advice, believe me, if it gets really bad. 

I remember drifts in the attic from under the eaves of an older property... and a great big drift inside the shed from under an ill-fitting door.

Posted

Hoping the track of the front Tuesday includes south Wales. Looks like mid wales best at mo. Staying up here next week now. More chance of seeing 6 inches plus Thursday into Friday I reckon

Posted
8 minutes ago, freeze for all said:

For Wales I mean not England

Initially not all of Wales was covered by warning I expect Amber warning to come .Especially east Wales.

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
1 minute ago, keithlucky said:

Initially not all of Wales was covered by warning I expect Amber warning to come .

That'h wot I was asking, wot parts of wales have been added to the warning?

Posted
3 minutes ago, PompeyFC said:

Hoping the track of the front Tuesday includes south Wales. Looks like mid wales best at mo. Staying up here next week now. More chance of seeing 6 inches plus Thursday into Friday I reckon

think you are being a bit conservative with 6 inches - feet of snow is what we are looking at with this event

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
1 minute ago, freeze for all said:

That'h wot I was asking, wot parts of wales have been added to the warning?

All of Wales with the exception of Anglesey & the Conwy coast. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, MattTarrant said:

All of Wales with the exception of Anglesey & the Conwy coast. 

Thanks ??

Posted
8 minutes ago, andymusic said:

think you are being a bit conservative with 6 inches - feet of snow is what we are looking at with this event

And the rest could be 2 feet of snow on higher ground with huge drifts.

It's coming guys..... When would Mr brockway ever go on about blizzards like he is at the moment!

Edited by Jayfromcardiff
  • Like 3