Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
5 hours ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

What do all those little blue carrots mean?  And little piles of peas?   Are we expecting a blizzard of vegetables?

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

What do all those little blue carrots mean?  And little piles of peas?   Are we expecting a blizzard of vegetables?

The real damage will be done when frozen cabbages and broccolis begin raining down.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Thanks 1

Posted

yer we go getting closer - euro 4 Monday lunchtime

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Mo 26.02.2018 12 GMT

only cooling down lol (warming up lol)

Edited by andymusic

Posted
8 hours ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

What's your thoughts on Friday mate? People saying mild temps to turn snow to rain?

To progressive for the breakdown expect 24 hour snow event as milder air pushes in Saturday.We really need to keep an eye on Tuesday as a trough moves east to west across the UK expect a covering across Wales .Still Tuesday Wednesday Thursday. snow Going to be bloody bitterly cold

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

just took the dog out for a walk - it's bl***y brass monkeys weather out there - anything falling from the sky right now would just be powdery snow - and it's just gonna get worse and worse - and then the blizzard from another mother - oh dear - we are gonna be digging out for days/weeks

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, andymusic said:

just took the dog out for a walk - it's bl***y brass monkeys weather out there - anything falling from the sky right now would just be powdery snow - and it's just gonna get worse and worse - and then the blizzard from another mother - oh dear - we are gonna be digging out for days/weeks

I hope everyone has prepared for the worst because majority of people including myself wouldn't have experienced what's going to hit us later this week!

Proper whiteout blizzard conditions with severe drifting!

Posted
2 minutes ago, WelshWanderer said:

Does anyone know how cold it is going to get and how long it will last for?

-15 to -20 or lower over snow fields and even before with the Siberian uppers - and the potential for this to last well into the middle of march maybe even further than that

Posted

Just watched the bbc forecast and I just don’t see it in South Wales. Perhaps they are playing a cautious hand but why I’m not sure it is pretty Baltic already though 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Stevetynant said:

Just watched the bbc forecast and I just don’t see it in South Wales. Perhaps they are playing a cautious hand but why I’m not sure it is pretty Baltic already though 

bbc are fools - they should be warning people now - stupid buggers - I was in tescos this afternoon getting my mass supplies for 2 - 3 weeks and no one knew - or said - I heard that it was gonna get a little cold lol - why aren't they getting warnings out for the elderly etc - finally the got something to warn about and they got just a terrible lax attitude - where all the other warnings weren't worth the computer they were written on - these are peoples lives they are playing with

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow
7 minutes ago, andymusic said:

bbc are fools - they should be warning people now - stupid buggers - I was in tescos this afternoon getting my mass supplies for 2 - 3 weeks and no one knew - or said - I heard that it was gonna get a little cold lol - why aren't they getting warnings out for the elderly etc - finally the got something to warn about and they got just a terrible lax attitude - where all the other warnings weren't worth the computer they were written on - these are peoples lives they are playing with

I know the masses dont have a clue whats going on ....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow
1 minute ago, lindy2222 said:

I know the masses dont have a clue whats going on ....

I hate the British Brainwashing Corporation....reason we took our TV to the dump...3 years ago.....

• Like 1

Posted

Hmmm mod thread is showing a huge flip from Friday looks like the low pressure from the South is far more potent than seemed possible. If it continues looks like the cold spell will be very short lived. How things can change.

Posted
1 minute ago, Stevetynant said:

Hmmm mod thread is showing a huge flip from Friday looks like the low pressure from the South is far more potent than seemed possible. If it continues looks like the cold spell will be very short lived. How things can change.

Dont worry mate, blizzards before then.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day 10
9 minutes ago, Stevetynant said:

There is no polar vortex.  It’s completely obliterated.  That’s it, done until it reforms in the autumn. The entire northern hemisphere’s atmosphere is spinning the other way.  A mild incursion may mean 850s getting up to -8

I think the only thing about thurs/fri to worry about is the track of the low.  At the moment, my understanding is that the South half Wales from Newquay to Newport and Barry to Brecon is in for a long overdue pasting.

Take care folks, I can remember the late 70s and early/mid 80s.  Even as a kid by the end you used to start getting sick of the winter.  Powdered milk on your cornflakes anyone? ?

Edited by Magic Trichs
Spelling

Posted
45 minutes ago, WelshWanderer said:

Bloody hell!!  That's dangerous.  Was '82 that bad? I remember that event slightly as I was 6 at the time.  Are we likely to get that amount of snow, even in central Swansea?

82 was 'bleeding cold' Welsh Wanderer but it wasn't that 'cold' 

I was a teen at the time and living in Manorbier Nr tenby...

The first night it snowed and in the morning it wasn't that deep in our street and my Mum made us get up and dressed for school, she sent us out the door to get the school bus! 

By the time we got to the bus stop it was obvious we weren't going anywhere as the drifting snow was over 2 ft thick on the main rd... 

By the next morning the drifts on the road out of Manorbier were 12ft high!!! 

We were lucky we'd just had delivery of coal, (others on the street were having their's nicked) the power went out, and we had a drip from the kitchen tap as the water hadn't quite frozen solid. We had a bottle gas cooker so we could cook and my Dad insulated it really well. Much different to todays houses... They were army barrack houses and had sinlge glazing aluminium windows, little roof insulation and I think the walls were concrete as it was housing for soldiers next to the firing range, not built for warmth... 

We buried the food from the freezer in the back garden, My Dad had a couple of Tilly lamps we used for light in the lounge and we had a battery operated radio for news. 

I have very fond memories of us playing cards every night and talking to each other. 

My mum was busy cooking for those on the street that couldn't, My Dad was busy helping a chap that borrowed (acquired) a JCB to help dig us out on the main roads and Me and My friend Deb were traipsing to Jameston and back for supplies with a sledge! We were so grateful for the farmers with tractors and Land Rover folk that helped us up the hills with our loads !... 

We were cut off for a week at the most and I remember the electricity helicopters landing in the sports field next to the estate dropping off supplies and workers to get power restored... 

It brought a whole community together that wouldn't otherwise have spoken :D

'IF' this snow 'apocalypse' comes off, the models haven't yet confirmed this although they are aspiring to it...  Then I'm not sure what we are going to get yet... 

The upper atmosphere at 1km plus is showing temps of -10 to -15c which means any moisture that 'could' head our way will surely fall as snow.

The windchill will be biting possible -10 to -15C , that's the thing that will catch many folk out... They think they are wrapped up warm enough... But 10mins in that windchill inadequately dressed and you'll soon know about it... 

Nobody can be 100% certain that the low pressure slowly making it's way from Newfoundland across the Atlantic will hit us on Friday. Although the models at the moment show it might. 

But as this is such an unusual event, even the 'models' are having problems trying to decide what will happen... 

Even the usually 'cautious' BBC weather presenters are giving us 'clues' as to what might happen, they are tweeting and answering questions about what's to come... A lot more than usual.... 

I think everyone is excited to see what might happen, even me :D

Although... I have 3 elderly neighbours in my vicinity and been and visited them all today to make sure they can keep warm, have enough supplies in and if there is anything they want to ring me... I even said they are more than welcome to spend their days with me as I have chopped loads of wood and the burner will be going all day...  2 of them looked at me as though I was a bit daft ... lol...  It might or might not happen however I felt better for saying something... 

I shall be watching with interest... 

This was the main road out of Manorbier Jan 82!

Manorbier 82 (10).jpg

• Thanks 2

Posted

Wow, that pic is amazing and brilliant.  I have got to admit I am a excited to see what comes in the next few days...with a possible few snow days off work lol

My main memories of '82 are walking up our street with my dad and realizing I was walking on top of a wall that was buried in the snow, I then slipped and landed on top of a transit van that was also buried!! lol  I also remembering my dad having to walk about 2 miles to the main towns shops to get basic supplies as our local shop had nothing left and I found a horse in my garden which was almost frozen, so I decided it would be a good idea to bring it into the house: that idea went down with my parents like a a sinking stone as you can imagine  hehehehehe

Posted
11 minutes ago, WelshWanderer said:

Wow, that pic is amazing and brilliant.  I have got to admit I am a excited to see what comes in the next few days...with a possible few snow days off work lol

My main memories of '82 are walking up our street with my dad and realizing I was walking on top of a wall that was buried in the snow, I then slipped and landed on top of a transit van that was also buried!! lol  I also remembering my dad having to walk about 2 miles to the main towns shops to get basic supplies as our local shop had nothing left and I found a horse in my garden which was almost frozen, so I decided it would be a good idea to bring it into the house: that idea went down with my parents like a a sinking stone as you can imagine  hehehehehe

'If' the low pressure does come to fruition then you may well get your wish... lol... 

LOVE the idea of you bringing the horse in to warm up, you have a kind heart x

The snow was that deep you just didn't know what you were walking on!

It was an amazing time, everyone just helped... 

Posted
10 minutes ago, thetipster said:

AND 2009-2010 PONTYPRIDD

SNO1.jpg

SNO2.jpg

Wow!!! In Pembroke we only had approx 7" at most I remember feeling 'most put out' as we watched the welsh news of everyone else's snow... lol...  Everything was frozen solid though for weeks!