Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

I'm holding off on posting warnings on Facebook because a) around half of my Facebook friends are overseas and won't care and b) the half that are local won't believe whatever I post thanks to me having had egg on my face too many times in the past. (Where's our snow? Why did you feel the need to warn us over a dandruff-like sprinkling?" etc.)

That said, something is going to happen this coming week. Of that I'm 99% certain, and rarely am I that certain. It's easy to forget that March has delivered some of our heaviest snowfalls in the past (the last decade or so of Marches (2013 excepted) have been benign overall, if not fairly warm and settled) and what we have approaching is anything but a normal cold spell.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 1

Posted

This has just been posted elsewhere..... If this comes off, my house will be buried! 1982 all over again!

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

I'v got to b honest I really don't mind if we don't have snow, I'm loving this dry weather with bright sunshine at mo and I've got a trip to Scotland in just over a week and I don't want to miss out on it

Posted

posted this last night on the wrong forum

I remember 82 started snowing first day back in work after new year and it didn't stop for three days

Wife was 9 months pregnant and I was thinking I would have to get her to hospital on a sledge if she went into labour (lucky me she hang on until the 26th)

Never opened my gate in over a week as you just stepped over it (you couldn't see it)

Had to dig out the in-laws out as both their doors was on the same side of the bungalow and the snow was up to the eaves over both doors

Took me nearly 7 hours to feed the horses on the mountain behind me (usually took an hour max walking or 20 minutes in the car)

We were cut off for a week nothing in and nothing out apart from the train which was running hours late. Police on the platform to stop fighting as people tried to get on (I just watched and then went back home)

No bread or milk or very little and they were charging a £1 for a loaf and a pint when it got through (about treble the price normally if I remember right)

Worst of the lot the local pub ran out of beer

This is what you have to look forward to :sorry:

But I cant wait

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, freeze for all said:

I'v got to b honest I really don't mind if we don't have snow, I'm loving this dry weather with bright sunshine at mo and I've got a trip to Scotland in just over a week and I don't want to miss out on it

you'll be going nowhere near Scotland - you'll be lucky to get out of your front door after that 3 day blizzard is finished with us lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

Can u explain to me where ur getting this 3 day blizzard from?? Without the charts u keep posting cos we all know they never verify. If the professional forecasters r not seeing 3 days of blizzards then I'm not buying it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
6 hours ago, cruelwx said:

If the current Meto forecast works out for the week ahead the winds for Ponty are NE or ENE so I would think there would be little snow left for areas in the lee of the Beacons.  But fair enough the 5th March is miles away so who knows what will be happening by then?

The predicted weather conditions for next week must be concerning for anyone working with livestock - there have been events in the past when farmers couldn't reach their flocks and to be honest I don't want to see conditions getting that severe.  I think that south west Wales will miss the main snowfalls next week but once the direction of air flow changes from the east we could see frontal snow for a time - who knows what that could amount to before its even forecasted?  :cc_confused:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow
25 minutes ago, Bafan said:

This has just been posted elsewhere..... If this comes off, my house will be buried! 1982 all over again!

image.jpeg

Oh no up to 30 inches snow for me..............................

Posted
22 minutes ago, Loadsa2000 said:

posted this last night on the wrong forum

I remember 82 started snowing first day back in work after new year and it didn't stop for three days

Wife was 9 months pregnant and I was thinking I would have to get her to hospital on a sledge if she went into labour (lucky me she hang on until the 26th)

Never opened my gate in over a week as you just stepped over it (you couldn't see it)

Had to dig out the in-laws out as both their doors was on the same side of the bungalow and the snow was up to the eaves over both doors

Took me nearly 7 hours to feed the horses on the mountain behind me (usually took an hour max walking or 20 minutes in the car)

We were cut off for a week nothing in and nothing out apart from the train which was running hours late. Police on the platform to stop fighting as people tried to get on (I just watched and then went back home)

No bread or milk or very little and they were charging a £1 for a loaf and a pint when it got through (about treble the price normally if I remember right)

Worst of the lot the local pub ran out of beer

This is what you have to look forward to :sorry:

But I cant wait

Superb memories. Are they all from Caerphilly? Cheers for sharing!

One family member who experienced it kept telling me the aftermath of the blizzard was like a scene from The Shining. I thought she was exaggerating until I saw these photos from Treharris and Bedlinog.

Some more truly incredible photos here:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/january-snow-1982-started-snowing-14127091

image.png

image.png

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 4

Posted

Yes in Caerphilly we lived around the corner from the miners hospital at the time.

When I walked around to the in-laws they had a car on the drive and if you didn't know you would think it was just snow. Banked up to the wall was probably in excess of a 8ft drift.

When I walked up Caerphilly mountain to feed the horses (the guy that owned the land, first sign of snow used to disappear to his daughters in Cardiff and left the horses to get on with it) the snow was up to my waist on the way up but when you got to the top there was barely a covering because of the wind. The track to the stables was thigh deep.

Anyway got to the stables and there was h6 or 7 horses running back and for in front of the stable block but couldn't go any further as the snow was to deep. Opened up the stables plus his hay store to get on with it.

Water came from a spring which flowed into a below ground concrete tank (which had a leak halfway up so had to get the water with a bucket and rope) . Went to get the water buckets filled and had the shock of my life. A vixen must of run across the snow which had formed a lid and was sat in the bottom of it. Off I trudged looking for a way to get her, anyway found an old ladder and put that in, after a while she climbed it and ran across the field to the woods she stopped and looked back before she disappeared. I know it sounds silly but to this day I think she was saying thanks.

Anyway finished breaking the ice and watered the horses. 

Had to do that trek twice more that week. The guy who owned the place could never understand how the horses opened the stable with his hay store.

Edited by Loadsa2000
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Missdolly said:

The kids are back in school Monday after half term so I can see the school sending warnings out definitely !

They could be closed for a month like it was in 2010 here.......if it stays this cold....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

GFS 0z run gives me 50cm of snow (20 inches)

wow.

Posted
40 minutes ago, lindy2222 said:

They could be closed for a month like it was in 2010 here.......if it stays this cold....

I work in a school, can't wait to see what they say on Monday,bet Caerphilly council won't say much! 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, whiskers said:

I work in a school, can't wait to see what they say on Monday,bet Caerphilly council won't say much! 

Was the welsh school beside me buses couldnt get here ....same happened next year as well ...

Posted

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Further snow showers are expected through Tuesday, with the potential for a more organised band of snow to push south-west across many parts of England and Wales through the day. There is uncertainty in the extent of snow. However, there is the potential for 5-10 cm of snow in places where showers become more frequent, or in association with the more persistent band of snow. Nearby locations may see much less snow and only small accumulations of 0-2 cm in places. Strong winds will lead to drifting of lying snow, with lightning an additional hazard, particularly near North Sea coasts.

Posted

Yellow Warning of Snow for Wales : Flintshire, Monmouthshire, Powys, Wrexham, Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Newport, Torfaen, Vale of Glamorgan, Bridgend, Merthyr Tydfil, Neath Port Talbot, Rhonnda Cynon Taff & Denbighshire valid from 0005 Tue 27 Feb to 2355 Tue 27 Feb

Yellow Warning of Snow for Wales : Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire & Wrexham valid from 0005 Wed 28 Feb to 2355 Wed 28 Feb

Posted
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

Yellow Warning of Snow for Wales : Flintshire, Monmouthshire, Powys, Wrexham, Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Newport, Torfaen, Vale of Glamorgan, Bridgend, Merthyr Tydfil, Neath Port Talbot, Rhonnda Cynon Taff & Denbighshire valid from 0005 Tue 27 Feb to 2355 Tue 27 Feb

Yellow Warning of Snow for Wales : Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire & Wrexham valid from 0005 Wed 28 Feb to 2355 Wed 28 Feb

Allowing for convection anywhere could get a good covering its a matter of radar watching around midday Tuesday onwards,and don't forget dry powdery snow requires less moisture so snow covers the ground faster.