Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters

Ensembles looking good on the 18z an example of the upper air temps for North Wales and there are some pretty cold ones in there. 

graphe3_1100_216_56___.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Just had the most intense hail shower I have ever experienced complete with fairly frequent and localised air to ground and air to air lightning with thunder.  It had been a generally quiet morning with a small shower or two but the sky began to darken as the squall line moved in and then all hail broke loose!  Covered the garden with white in a matter of minutes and continued for about ten minutes before losing intensity and turning to rain.  The line appears to have moved north and east toward Newcastle Emlyn but I see that the Llyn Peninsula has also had some lightning this morning.  Quite extraordinary to see but all is quiet again and the sun is coming out now!  It is weather conditions like this that makes weather watching so interesting and even exciting for me from time to time.  We really are lucky to have such a variable climate although sometimes I do wish it was a little less wet....

Posted
13 hours ago, Summerstorm said:

Ensembles looking good on the 18z an example of the upper air temps for North Wales and there are some pretty cold ones in there. 

graphe3_1100_216_56___.gif

yes general outlook looking on the cold side now - and some spectacular prospects possible if they come off

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Sky Full said:

Just had the most intense hail shower I have ever experienced complete with fairly frequent and localised air to ground and air to air lightning with thunder.  It had been a generally quiet morning with a small shower or two but the sky began to darken as the squall line moved in and then all hail broke loose!  Covered the garden with white in a matter of minutes and continued for about ten minutes before losing intensity and turning to rain.  The line appears to have moved north and east toward Newcastle Emlyn but I see that the Llyn Peninsula has also had some lightning this morning.  Quite extraordinary to see but all is quiet again and the sun is coming out now!  It is weather conditions like this that makes weather watching so interesting and even exciting for me from time to time.  We really are lucky to have such a variable climate although sometimes I do wish it was a little less wet....

been watching those - lots of lightning embedded - shortly to arrive here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Don’t know where this ‘warmer air’ is it’s been chilly since yesterday.  Walked, or rather stomped round bits of the Berwyns with wee stormy Norman and it’s was sleety hailly stuff.  Back home at lower level ‘tis the same but a bit more rain and hail.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Some sleet showers here as well as rain. Not surprised as it's down to 3°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

Had enough of the rain this winter please just give us some dry weather, my boy has played 4 rugby games in the last 3 months due to cancellations. Today it hasn't stopped raining although the radar has ssaid no rain for the last 4 hours 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

We seem to get rain and drizzle even when the radar says its dry - must be something to do with the way the prevailing winds lift the air over the Presellis to the west before it gets here.  The ground around here is saturated and the roads mostly soaked with runoff from the fields around.  It might be a local myth but we do say that when it's raining in Crymych it's sunny in Cardigan!  After another wet morning it looks like it might clear up soon and perhaps I can get on with something useful outside...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter
59 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

We seem to get rain and drizzle even when the radar says its dry - must be something to do with the way the prevailing winds lift the air over the Presellis to the west before it gets here.  The ground around here is saturated and the roads mostly soaked with runoff from the fields around.  It might be a local myth but we do say that when it's raining in Crymych it's sunny in Cardigan!  After another wet morning it looks like it might clear up soon and perhaps I can get on with something useful outside...

Yes i have noticed that for both precipitation and around here temperature values, perhaps it is a feature of the software. Stopped raining around here about 90 minutes ago and the air temperature fell from 11 degrees to 8 and now 6 degrees. I expect any showers will be wintry over the tops this afternoon and evening.

• Like 1

Posted

colder weather kicking off again - especially the next few days - but could be more coming soon too as we go through Feb:cold:

• Like 1

Posted

Don't understand the people on the MOD thread. They lambaste eachother about what might happen 6, 8, 10 days from now saying there's no point as it may not verify but isn't that the point of the thread? Who knows what will happen, which model will verify (if any) . For me it shows trends and after all it's about the chase.

Posted

It's looking good for Feb , great model outputs this morning ! Please can we just have another taster of winter I'm doing a snow dance ?!

Posted
1 hour ago, Missdolly said:

It's looking good for Feb , great model outputs this morning ! Please can we just have another taster of winter I'm doing a snow dance ?!

looking very very cold/snowy wintry that's for sure

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, andymusic said:

looking very very cold/snowy wintry that's for sure

Absolutely Andy , obviously we know it's subject to change but nice to see consistent models.

Posted

Yellow Warning of Ice for Wales : Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Newport, Powys, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Torfaen, Wrexham & Carmarthenshire valid from 1800 Wed 31 Jan to 1000 Thu 01 Feb

wintry showers again this afternoon

Posted

lots of snowmageddon charts showing now for Feb - this could be the return of winter proper - :cold:

and the super moon is spectacularly out too

Tonight

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Th 01.02.2018 00 GMT

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow
1 hour ago, andymusic said:

lots of snowmageddon charts showing now for Feb - this could be the return of winter proper - :cold:

and the super moon is spectacularly out too

Tonight

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Th 01.02.2018 00 GMT

Yeah watched Gavsvids .......could be a cold one lots of snow.....

On 21/01/2018 at 00:01, andymusic said:

WEve had a dusting 

Yellow Warning of Snow and Ice for Wales : Wrexham, Conwy, Denbighshire, Gwynedd, Powys & Flintshire valid from 0600 Sun 21 Jan to 1800 Sun 21 Jan

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

A bit of excitement in the model forum yet again but wouldn't get my hopes up , we all know what can happen and most of the charts they are posting are in FI and models could easily flip in the coming few days. It has been a very poor winter here so far with no snow settling so i hope we see a more widespread cold outbreak otherwise we will go another year snowless

Edited by Marcus_surfer

Posted
33 minutes ago, Marcus_surfer said:

A bit of excitement in the model forum yet again but wouldn't get my hopes up , we all know what can happen and most of the charts they are posting are in FI and models could easily flip in the coming few days. It has been a very poor winter here so far with no snow settling so i hope we see a more widespread cold outbreak otherwise we will go another year snowless

don't need to get your hopes up - this time it's gonna be freezing and low level ACCUMULATING snow is completely possible

gfs-2-138.png?18

gfs-2-144.png?18

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, andymusic said:

accumulated snow from next week could be quite something

gfs-2-198.png?18

gfs-2-204.png?18

Not going to happen then ' as everytime you Ramp that we all will get Snow ' we get RAIN .. Stick to your music Dude ' some sweet lines going down Butt

Posted

Here we go again!! Will it,won't it, this time I'm not telling everyone in advance as I only end up looking stupid when it doesn't happen! Reverse psychology,if I don't tell them it may happen!! Wonder how long I can keep quiet about it!!:D

• Like 1